Do you want a new GM?

Dou you want a new GM?

• Total voters

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
You know you're making a good argument when you resort to mom jokes.

Let me guess, you carry one of these in your wallet?

7MqfK4K.jpg

lol I know we're debating or what not, but I just literally lold when I saw this. this is gold.

If we ever play Winnipeg this should be our playoff avatar since they hate him so much.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I don't think anyone would say that Perry is currently worth his contract. But I find it interesting that you have no criticism of the Kesler or Fowler deals.

If you were critical of all long term deals I would give your argument more credence than you just hammering away at the Perry deal.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Trading him was an option. It's not suddenly off the board because some random moron on a message board says so. Were you in the meetings or something or just sitting on your couch like you are now?.

Let me clarify: Trading him was not a realistic option. He definitely signed for more than I wanted/expected. That's kind of Murray's deal though. He signs pending UFAs for pretty "meh" contracts. Perry, Fowler, Kesler are prime examples. However, Perry and Fowler's deals were definitely market value. I think both easily get more if they hit the open market. for what it's worth, McKenzie said same thing. I'm not sure about Kesler's though. I've been adamant since day 1 that Bob rushed that signing.

No, I wasn't in the meetings, but if you think trading away arguably the teams best forward, who's in his prime, during the cup window, while also during a playoff run is realistic than I completely disagree. It's easy to say that we should have done that now, but again I think that's pretty lame because you're saying Murray should of done something that likely every GM would not have done.

Maybe you're grossly exaggerating how good you seem to think he's been?.

One of us is calling him an anchor, the other is saying he's a top 6/top 9 player still. I think it's pretty obvious which one of us is exaggerating.

No but I think you don't have to lock yourself into the contract. There were other options. What benefit is there now? You know, the present? Reality? Not your fictional world where it's a smart move to give max deals with NMC's to guys who can't live up to them. The price has to be paid at some point and now it's being paid sooner than anyone thought. That by itself shows he was grossly overpaid..

So again, you're okay with losing him for nothing? Or, in the middle of a playoff race, trade arguably your best player? You think the season ticket holders and owners are okay with that? Come on now. You're not being realistic. What's the last player of Perry's caliber (back then) that was traded during a playoff run? Players that made it known they were going to test the open market don't count either.

As far as the bold goes: That depends on how you define "overpaid". There's a strong case that every contract for star players, who hit free agency are overpaid. Do I think Perry was worth that much? No. Do I think Murray paid him market value? Yes. It's shit that the market was what it was then, but that's just what it was. I think McKenzie said it best back then: "Perry definitely left money on the table with that contract, but not a lot". Ideally Murray got him lower, but that was just the market. It's easy for you to say that it was a mistake now (HINDSIGHT), but even you can admit that it would have been extremely difficult then. Hell everyone here said about the same thing. Tough contract to swallow but necessary.

Well then stop jerking off to it. You hate the contract? Great, that's entirely my argument because it is in fact a bad contract that is hurting us NOW and in the YEARS TO COME. Other people passing out bad contracts like candy doesn't make it any better..

Like I said originally. No one said it wasn't a bad contract now. And quit the jerking off to it BS. I've said from the beginning that I didn't like that contract. Hating it now and saying it was a mistake then are two different things.

No the market being what it was doesn't make it any better. However, no, trading him or letting him walk then wasn't realistic. No GM would have let that happen. Feel free to provide comparable circumstances that show GMs willing to do that. in the unlikely circumstance that you do find one, now compare it to the number of guys who were not traded and re-signed. it's not close.

No by my logic you understand new messages can come from others in between replies. Why you equate new posts to editing past posts I have no clue..

You ridiculed my post saying several people had called Perry a top line winger. One person had then. You were wrong, unless you think several and one are the same thing. By this logic if I say "Lindholm scored in the 1st" and then he scored in OT, then I was right all along. that's wrong. Things changed. This isn't that hard.

The funny thing is there even more people that are saying he's a "1st line player" right now? That term is subjective. I know Angel said Perry would be on a few teams' first lines, but I bet he isn't calling him a 1st line player. Henrique would be Montreal's #1 center, but I wouldn't call him a "1st line center".

Cool, Murray did what had to do to keep Perry. I don't have to like it and I don't have to pretend Perry is something special in an NHL that puts a premium on speed which is the asset he coincidentally lost the quickest.

no one said you have to like it. We get it, you're upset. Again, no one likes that contract now. Some just don't think it's nearly as bad as you do.

The main thing that I'm pointing out is that it's very unfair to say Murray made some huge mistake when he signed him to that deal. Which is why I said it's easy to use hindsight like you're doing.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
All this discussion about Perry's contract when we have another contract on the team that is one of the worst in the league and potentially as bad as the Lucic contract

Can't make this stuff up

nilssont

May 27, 2007
Voted no here. But after this deadline, im not quite sure anymore. If he keeps RC around then he can def walk.

Theo
Wild Bill
Palms
Noesen
Wags
Maroon (Yes)
DSP
Perreault

Some "decent" depth players that he has let go for goddamn peanuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Getzmonster

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Voted no here. But after this deadline, im not quite sure anymore. If he keeps RC around then he can def walk.

Theo
Wild Bill
Palms
Noesen
Wags
Maroon (Yes)
DSP
Perreault

Some decent depth players go for peanuts all day long on all teams. Wild Bill was at best a 3rd liner and would have never gotten the chance. Even in Columbus he was not worth protecting. Palmeri is a different story and I still don't understand the reason of the trade. The rest, well, not much to complain about. And while you list the trades you don't like, there have been plenty ones that worked out very well. Plus, we have a lot of great deals running with ouf RFA. UFA signings are ugly 95% of the time on all teams.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

Theo
Wild Bill
Palms
Noesen
Wags
Maroon (Yes)
DSP
Perreault

I'm one of the few who voted yes, and while I stand by it, I don't agree with all of your list here. Palmieri, Wagner, Maroon, Perreault, Noesen, yes, completely agree. DSP and Wild Bill? No. DSP was in AHL for a while after leaving here. Props to him for turning it around, but wasn't hard to see why Murray moved on. I still don't agree with the criticism of Murray on the Wiz move. It's easy to use hindsight on that one, but he made an aggressive move to improve the top 4. I applaud him there personally. I think a lack of that aggressiveness hurt us during our prime years.

Regardless, this isn't why I think it's time to let Murray go. It's time to let him go because he's shown that its cup or bust for his coaches so he should be held to same standard. The other reason is because he successfully shit away the remaining core years by hiring a ridiculously outdated coach in Carlyle.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I voted no but if he doesn't fire RC if we are swept and make some big changes this offseason he should be gone.

This may be an overreaction but I am really disgusted after last night.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I voted no but if he doesn't fire RC if we are swept and make some big changes this offseason he should be gone.

This may be an overreaction but I am really disgusted after last night.
The biggest test is how he handles Perry. No way they can afford to allocate a protection spot for him for the Seattle ED.

Culture change might demand that they pursue a buyout. He has a nmc so unlikely he waived it. He is due $24 million still, $5.5 of that in signing bonus. So, cost to buy him out is nearly $18 million.

He could probably make up tha difference signing with another team like girardi did when the rangers bought him out.

Tough pill to swallow, but a change is needed.

More speed is requir d up front. They have Larson and Pettersson to replace KB and FB on th backend. So thI D and G are fine.

Steel and Terry will be vital to the franchise going forward.

Carelton CA

Dec 16, 2011
I think last night was the best case scenario for the Ducks. There is no hiding anything now. RC is now history.

But now what? BM was ok this year, the Henrique deal was superb. The lesser deals at the trade deadline really made no difference but were just stupid moves that didn't even make sense when he explained them to the press. I for one would like to see younger blood in the GM seat and bring this team a coach that is in touch with the new NHL.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
All this discussion about Perry's contract when we have another contract on the team that is one of the worst in the league and potentially as bad as the Lucic contract

Can't make this stuff up

100% with you. I'm way more disturbed by Kesler's contract. At least Perry produces somewhat.

Reactions: AngelDuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
100% with you. I'm way more disturbed by Kesler's contract. At least Perry produces somewhat.
Kessler, injuries piling up. Never fully recovered for this season. See how he recovers in th off season with proper rest.

Honestly, he’ll still give the team excellent defensive play, but I wouldn’t expect production above 50 points again. Something in around the mid 40’s.

But, the ducks need to change the culture of the forwards.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You can't use a protection spot on Perry or Kesler. That will be the same as protecting Bieksa at that point

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
What would happen if guys like Perry and Kesler waived but said/did retire if they were taken by an expansion team instead of moving their families?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
What would happen if guys like Perry and Kesler waived but said/did retire if they were taken by an expansion team instead of moving their families?

They wouldn't get paid the rest of their contracts. So Perry would need to forego 7m and Kesler 13.5m. That's not going to happen. Perry could probably still be traded now with retention if they can convince him to waive. Kesler we're just going to have to ride out no matter what and hope for either a compliance buy out or that he'll waive for expansion.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I doubt Seattle would want either guy with 1 and 2 years left on their deals at the money they are owed.

But, no clue whether they do the ducks a solid or not.

But, the cba will play a big part in The timing of th ED. If Either sides opts out in 2019, this making the cba expire in sept 2020, the nhl will push the ED back to 2021, this both Perry and getzlaf deals are set to expire so no nmc to worry about. Kessler has one more year, so a buyout is possible. But, with the way he plays he could be a ltir candidate.

So, many players worri d about getting taken but Vegas clearly didn’t want overpaid under performing players unless they got something for it.

Even With Vats injured, I still think he could have made a NJ deal. They had the space to take on mueller from SJ to protect. But, having a guy who isn’t ready to start the season hurts the ducks leverage. So, no asssurances they get Henrique in the deal. But, sucks to have lose Theodore.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It was more a question of a wasted by Seattle than the specific player. I used them as examples because they are older players that want to stay in So Cal. But if Seattle chooses an older player and they decide to retire (I guess Hossa would be a better example with his 1 mil a year), would there be any blow back on the team or would they get to choose a second player?

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I'll make a new topic because I'm bored of the current ones.

Let's consider the totality of Murray's team philosophy. He's spent a lot of high draft picks on mobile defensemen. That's basically all we've had in high quality and quantity. So this points to a speedy, transition type team. Maybe with a puck-holding style? Skate with the puck, pass it, go on the rush?

Yet he hires a coach who doesn't want that (see most recent post-game comments about not wanting the D to lead the rush). He constantly gets old, slow vet Dmen. And the drafted forwards haven't particularly been transition types either (although Jones, Ritchie are considered fairly strong skaters).

Actually the forwards he have acquired have actually mostly been decently fast, but not good puck carriers or skilled with the puck. I'd call them more dump and chase types.

This doesn't seem like a coherent strategy. How much of our failings are due to having poor fit between the prospects and how the team is coached?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I don't think Murray operates with synergy in mind. On the whole his team drafts BPA, no matter the skillset, at least it seems.

His dmen are mobile, but is that because of him or because that is what the current industry values?

His coaching picks are reactionary based on what his roster had previously rejected.

I think he cobbles together the best parts he thinks he can find and then tries to fit them together retroactively. Sometimes that works and sometimes not.

The one time I do think he looks for specific needs is in-season trades. He's very good at identifying an impact player that works in whatever we are doing at that time. Less system and more player-to-player chemistry though.

Reactions: Bee

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I suspect that's the case too. So then isn't that a failing? Is that not a reason why we can't finish, and a reason why we might want a new GM?

Reactions: Duck Off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad