Do You Consider Ovechkin Generational?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Ah, good, this lazy argument again. That Ovechkin's teams haven't been able to get over the hump doesn't change the fact that he arguably is the greatest goal scorer of all time. People are legitimately pondering the possibility of him breaking Gretzky's goal scoring record. Ovechkin also has terrific playoff numbers; it's the rest of his team that disappears.

There is no reasonable argument -- qualitatively or quantitatively -- that can be made to say that Ovechkin is not generational.

dont worry alex, hes not even gonna look up the playoff stats which show ovechkin did everything and no one else did

the caps didnt get to 3rd round because of other players not ovechkin

2015-16
ovechkin 5 goals 7 assists in 12 games

beagle 3 goals 0 assists in 12 games
kuznetsov-1 goal 1 assist in 12 games
chimera- 1 goal 1 assist in 12 games
niskanen 0 goals 3 assists in 12 games
burakovsky 1 goal 0 assists in 12 games
wilson 0 goals 1 assist in 12 games
alzner 0 goals 2 assists in 12 games
orlov 0 goals and 1 assist in 11 games
richards 0 goals 0 assists in 12 games
winnik 0 goals 0 assists in 12 games
schmidt 0 goals 1 assist in 11 games

but lets blame ovechkin

2014-15

wilson 0 goals 1 assist in 13 games
gleason 0 goals 1 assist in 14 games
glencross 1 goal 0 assists in 10 games
green 0 goals 2 assists in 14 games
orpik 0 goals 2 assists in 14 games
laich 1 goal 1 assist in 14 games
brouwer 0 goals 3 assists in 14 games
burakosky 2 goals 1 assist in 11 games
niskanen 0 goals 4 assists in 14 games
johansson 1 goal 3 assists in 14 games
alzner 2 goals 2 assists in 14 games
beagle 1 goal 4 assists in 15 games
carlson 1 goal 5 assists in 14 games

but lets blame ovechkin

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Fun fact: you are wrong.

But seriously, if you want to apply the generational label to OV it is as a goalscorer, and noone should have an issue with that. He is among a shortlist of 5 other players who are at the top tier of the "best goalscorers of all-time".

yes we really haven't seen someone like ovechkin before. best in the NHL for quite a few years. arguably the best player of our generation.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
Prime Ovechkin was the most dangerous player in the history of the game. He scored goals that no other player include Gretzky or Lemieux could ever score.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Yes. There are a lot of reasons but one reason is Crosby is a generational player. Ovechkin has had a lot season better than Crosby. 06, 08, 09, 10, 15 and this season probably as well 18

Also when a player has 14 nhl awards. It's very hard not to say he is generational player

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
That's funny how Ovi's hater separate goalscoaring and player
I even don't understand what Does it mean. "As player, no he isn't" player? Ovi s not a hockey player???

And btw, since when the most important thing in hockey aka goals (the thing you need MORE, the most important criteria for a TEAM To WiN games) it's not an important criteria when we are talking about Ovi.

Those boards are funny.
One guy goes on hot streak for 5 games and just because he's 20 years old, hf start To compare That guy to the greatest.
When Ovi scores goals. One way player blah blah blah

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Before Crosby and this generational frenzy, only Gretzky, Orr and Lemieux were considered generational. So 100 years of hockey and only three guys. Nowdays people argue for Crosby, McDavid, Ovechkin, Matthews, Laine and the list keeps on growing. So the last 10-15 years seem to have a particularly great gene pool...

If Bobby Hull isn't considered generational then neither is Ovechkin. As simple as that. And Bobby never was considered generational until the recent eroded version of the term came to use.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't know, but Ovechkin on the PP is worth the price of admission.

He's a goal scoring machine-way above his peers in GPG, so it's a valid discussion.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Ovi is a generational goal scorer but not a generational overall player. He had a window between 2007–2010 where he played like one but it was only three years and he still wasn’t a better overall player than Crosby.

You may be correct for the most part, but I think that during the RS, he was better than Crosby during that period of time.

Last edited:

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Yeah Ovechkin is definitely generational. I'd say at any point in the NHL you probably have between 2-5 generational players. This includes those on the rise to generational (McDavid) those in the prime of generational (Ovy/Crosby) and those on the decline/retiring generational (Lundqvist, Chara, Thornton).

You can still be a "generational" player before/in/out of your prime.

No way was Joe generational.

Outstanding player but absolutely not generational.

Reactions: Tmu84

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
generational would infer a singular player who is a clear cut tier or three above any other existing player. a player who is exceptional at EVERY aspect of the game.

ovechkin? not even close but he does have a good shot and was a good hitter.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod

Best passer in the last 15 years, huge stat lines, huge body etc.. I guess maybe he is a step below "generational". But to me generational is "when will we see another guy like that?" and if the answer is not for 5-10 years from his retirement then I call him a 1x generation player. Jumbo has a unique skillset, that to me makes him one.

Just like you could say Chara isn't generational, I think his skillset and his prime were so unique that you wont see another guy like that for a while.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I usually don't like sub-categories of the word player to be used (Speed, Passing, etc..), but I generally make an exception for goal scoring seeing as it's kind of the most important part of the game. In that case, I think Ovechkin is a generational goal scorer. No one is close to him throughout his generation.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I don't see how a guy with 3 Harts isn't generational. Of course goal scoring wise he is one of the all time best, but he was at one point an overall generational player for a few years. At his peak, you could say he was greater than Crosby.

He not only is a generational talent but has the hardware and stats to be "generational" as well.

IMO Thornton is the best playmaker of his generation, and one of the best of all time. In that way he is generational, but not on an overall level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce