Do You Consider Ovechkin Generational?

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by Nazem to Nylander, Jan 13, 2018 at 4:14 AM.

1. Nazem to Nylander

Nazem to Nylander Registered User

I see Crosbys name brought up for the infamous discussion of the next generational player after Lemieux but wouldn't Ovechkin have a case?

We're talking about a guy who had McDavids speed (or close to) but had strength and a better shot to back it up.

2. OvechkinTooth

OvechkinTooth Tim Peel is bad

I'd even say it's three talents that came into the league after lockout that can easily be called as a generational. All three dominated in the league in different seasons and maintained a ridiculous scoring pace so far in their glorious careers. I believe everyone knows who are those three. Its always stupid when people bring 'generational' arguments for some kids who didnt accomlish anything yet to close to those three.

3. Johnny HFBOARDS

Johnny HFBOARDS Trademarked

OP: you have to have more trophies than there are letter in the
    Generational

word, 1st.

4. Vikke

Vikke ViktorAllvin twitter

Home Page:
    Well, he does.

5. Fataldogg

Fataldogg Registered User

Ovechkin has 14 trophies.

shello, Wings4Life, Rebels57 and 2 others like this.
  6. flatpass

flatpass Registered User

7. Top Pair Imposter

Top Pair Imposter False Defenseman

Neither Crosby nor Ovechkin are generational in my eyes. While Cros has come out ahead in the end run, he hasn't been that much better than OV and was for a period behind him.

For me, generational would describe a player far above his peers. Gretzky, Orr, etc.

8. JustaFinnishGuy

JustaFinnishGuy Registered User

The Goal scorer of our Generation.

9. KirkAlbuquerque

KirkAlbuquerque Registered User

HFboards should autolock any thread with the word "generational" in the title, and ban the OP for 30 days to let them think about what they've done.

10. Atas2000

Atas2000 Registered User

Seven time 50+ goal scorer(would be more if not for Gary's lockouts). Name another one. Or at least close,or at least close to being close within the generation.

11. Sky04

Sky04 Registered User

Kovalchuk and Stamkos' are the next best goalscorers and they pale in comparison to Ovechkin. Yes he is easily, not even just hit goals his point production is far above his peers not named Crosby or Malkin.

shello, saffronleaf and SI90 like this.
  12. DFAC

DFAC Registered User

13. Zamuz

Zamuz Registered User

Of course he is, he is the only player that has even a theoretical chance of reaching Gretzky's record in goals scored. He will get very close to it

saffronleaf likes this.
  14. Laineux

Laineux Registered User

Very easily as a goalscorer, but not quite as an overall player.

15. 93LEAFS

93LEAFS Registered User

He has the accolades to be in the discussion. I personally don't think he meets the benchmarks (simply doesn't have the team success), and outside of when he was battling injuries, I would have taken Crosby over him to build a team around. Possibly Malkin too (although, that one isn't as clear-cut for me). Unlike Gretzky and Mario (who overlapped) where there were times I would have taken Mario over Gretz (most of the mid to late 90's, and even in the early 90's it was a discussion), I can't say the same about Crosby and Ovi (unless I was asked when Crosby's career was in the balance around 2010 to 2012), but Ovi wasn't great in 2010-2011 or 2011-12 (I would have taken Malkin at that point as the best building block in the league at that point).

Now, I have no issue with people calling him generational, unlike other players I constantly see put up for discussion who I don't think have much of a case. He has 3 Harts, 2 other 2nd place finishes, and 3 Pearsons/Lindsey's. But, for me the deciding factors are the lack of team success in the league or internationally and the fact for most of his prime there were other players in the league I would take over him as building blocks. In my opinion, the only players who are in the discussion as generational who entered the league after Gretzky entered are Mario (clear cut generational for me), Hasek (debatable, but probably), Jagr (debatable, would lean against it), Ovechkin (debatable but probably not) and Crosby (debatable but probably). I personally don't think you can even enter the discussion unless you win a Hart Trophy or Pearson, and in general multiple. My favorite player from the last 15 years who isn't a Leaf is Malkin, and I wouldn't consider him heavily. This also leaves off a bunch of great names like Messier, Yzerman, Sakic, Forsberg, Lidstrom, Karlsson, Bourque, Roy, etc.

Gazorpazorp likes this.
  16. ehhedler

ehhedler Valeri Bure fan

The Rocket Richard isn’t a major trophy, because if it was then Cheechoo would have a trophy and Bondra would have two. Ovi is a generational goal scorer but not a generational overall player. He had a window between 2007–2010 where he played like one but it was only three years and he still wasn’t a better overall player than Crosby.

17. Zuluss

Zuluss Registered User

By that logic, if Rocket is not a major trophy, then Conn Smythe and especially Stanley Cup are not major trophies as well. There are tons of names worse than Bondra on either one.
    And also, what are we going to do with Hart (won by Theodore) and Art Ross (won by Benn)?
    And Lindsay/Pearson once went to Liut (over young Gretzky) and Ratelle.

Also, you can check out the Hart votes to see that Crosby was way, way behind OV (and Malkin/Datsyuk for that matter) in 2007-2010.

18. OvechkinTooth

OvechkinTooth Tim Peel is bad

He'd been the best player in the world by a good margin through those three years and has every major trophy to it. On the other hand, Crosby was the best player only in 06-07 and 13-14, great runs for the cup in 09 and 17 and a bunch of injury-shortened seasons that nobody cares about.

19. crowi

crowi Registered Loser

Yes. Best goal scorer in NHL history.

20. daver

daver Registered User

Home Page:
    Fun fact:

Crosby garnered more Hart voting points in 10/11 playing 41 games than OV did in 13/14 when he won the Rocket.

21. Zuluss

Zuluss Registered User

Yes, players on the teams that do not make playoffs are often snubbed in Hart voting. Hart votes are funny that way. (A good recent example would be Jamie Benn in 14/15 - Art Ross, Lindsay nomination, but only 12th in Hart voting).

However, Crosby does not get to use this excuse to explain the yawning gap between his and OV's Hart votes in 2007-2010.

22. Habs10025

Habs10025 Registered User

23. ViktorBaeArvidsson

ViktorBaeArvidsson (Type something here)

No way, I mean I can score 50 goals in my sleep dis guy 1s 0v3r@t3d xD you people wh0 thunk he gud lol xD

Gazorpazorp likes this.
  24. Eisen

Eisen Registered User

I don't consider anybody generational at the moment. I use the term frugally.

Wings4Life likes this.
  25. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Registered User

To the OP's question: You don't?

When Ovechkin is gone and you're left with "generational" talents Connor McDavid and Auston Matthews and their 30-40 goals per season, maybe then you will understand what you have witnessed the last 12 plus seasons.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 8:11 AM