Do you care about jersey numbers?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
That's possible too. Though I remember a time in Matt Stajan's rookie year where many believed that Dave Keon finally had a "worthy" successor to wear #14 after Jonas Hoglund had previously worn it.

How many players are ever worthy of wearing a number like #14, and how do we ever know who is worthy until after the fact? I can see taking a chance on a player like Marner, but I'd rather new players just leave those numbers alone. They can choose from about 85 numbers.

(I would love if number scarcity becomes a problem one day! It would mean lots and lots of more cups)

Yeah, I don't think it'll be rookies asking for the number.

I think it'll be established veterans, who come to the team wanting to wear that specific number.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I don't care what numbers they were personally, but I think the idea of a GM not allowing teenagers to wear there own numbers and assigning them numbers is a complete joke.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Lou and what he's done here so far, but some of his practices are seriously outdated and useless. Unless there is some kind of "earning" to numbers (as in a prospect has to play "X" games before he can change his number"), then let the kids wear what they want. Non of this "I don't like numbers above 50" nonsense.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Pretty surprised Lou is taking on a hardass stance with regards to numbers, maybe he'll let them choose their own numbers next year.

You'd figure that a cooler number on the back of a jersey would potentially lead to bigger sales.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Pretty surprised Lou is taking on a hardass stance with regards to numbers, maybe he'll let them choose their own numbers next year.

You'd figure that a cooler number on the back of a jersey would potentially lead to bigger sales.

I'm not sure if it will lead to bigger sales, but it would really suck if you bought a Nylander jersey with 39 on the back just to have him revert to his 81/88 (cant remember) or Marlies number.

Mar 26, 2010
Yes, very much!

Jersey #'s are very personal to players. They are professionals playing in the NHL, let them pick their own #'s.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Lou has also made exceptions depending on the player like Jaromir Jagr letting him keep wearing #68 when he signed with New Jersey. So let's say Toronto signs Steven Stamkos, I think Lou would be ok with him wearing #91.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Well the question can be taken in two ways:

Do I care what number I wear? Darn right.

Do I care what number someone else is wearing? No not really.

Yup. I am in this boat.
I wore #19 my whole playing career (not hockey, btw) and cared about it to an extent. Do I notice who wears 19 for the Leafs? You betcha.
But do I really care about the numbers as a fan? Nah, it's really all so arbitrary.

And for myself, in the end, if I had been good enough to make the pros, I honestly wouldn't care too much what a coach or GM makes me wear. ..it's just a number to differentiate yourself from others for the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad