Do you care about jersey numbers?

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
There was a small debate in the GDT regarding jersey numbers since I brought up that 39 and 37 are ugly numbers for Nylander and Kapenen to wear, respectively.

Some argued that they do not care what number our top prospects wear in the NHL because it is just another, while myself and others have argued that some numbers are more aesthetically appealing than others and perhaps a 62 on a William Nylander looks better than a 39.

Just throwing this poll out there for curiosity.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
for me personally? sure, but not for them.

I don't care what # they wear though, that's up to them, did they not get to pick their numbers?

maybe next year they'll pick the number they want for their career... this is just something on the back for their stint at the big leagues.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
The only numbers I have ever felt uncomfortable seeing were:

Joffrey Lupul wearing #19, to me #19 was a premiere players number most notably very good centers (Yzerman, Sakic, Toews, Thornton, etc).

The other is Taylor Hall wearing #4. When I see #4 I immediately think defensemen and Bobby Orr most notably. I know people like Vinny Lecavalier and Jean Beliveau have worn #4 as forwards but to me it just looks weird.

With that said, I voted no. I do not care what number's the players wear. Some kids like to change change their numbers later on like Gaudreau and O'Reilly. But others like Kadri and Gardiner have been given numbers until they "proved they could stay on the team" and simply decided to keep their numbers.

Also, it is kind of cool to see players wear "weird" numbers because there are usually some good/interesting factors. Crosby wears #87 because he was born on 8/7/87, Ryan Smyth wore #94 because that was the year he graduated high school, Hall wears #4 to commemorate his agent Bobby Orr.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Yes, but I fully aknowledge its dumb. Some numbers just look better to me, and I have no better explanation than that.

I get what you're saying, but really it's up to the player I think.. I don't think 62 is necessarily a great number either though.

39 makes me think of guys like Doug Weight, Logan Couture and of course Dominik Hasek.

again it's really whatever the player wants works for me

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
How would people react if Marner stuck with 93 with the Leafs?

I think if teams haven't retired the number then it's fair game... I think Marner might pick something else simply because people will think of Gilmour no matter what with 93 so he might want to carve his own path...

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Personally I don't care what numbers the players are wearing. Besides that with the exception of Phil Kessel, Doug Gilmour, Sergei Berezin, Mikhail Grabovski, and Yanic Perrault, who all had numbers above 80, the ones they choose didn't look bad once you got use to them. The only Maple Leafs players who I remember that had numbers in the 60's was Brandon Kouzin and Robert Svehla who both had #67, however since no other players have a number in that range I never give it a second thought.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I do care and tbh it has nothing to do with the actual players or games. It's because I like buying and wearing Leafs jersey's and I'd rather not have one with an ugly number.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I get what you're saying, but really it's up to the player I think.. I don't think 62 is necessarily a great number either though.

39 makes me think of guys like Doug Weight, Logan Couture and of course Dominik Hasek.

again it's really whatever the player wants works for me

I dont think Nylander chose #62 either, he and Kapanen both mentioned in recent interviews that their AHL numbers were assigned to them. Kapanen usually wears 24 like his Dad, and Nylander 92 or 88.

I just dont like having a team of players wearing assigned numbers. I'd prefer a bit more variety.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I dont think Nylander chose #62 either, he and Kapanen both mentioned in recent interviews that their AHL numbers were assigned to them. Kapanen usually wears 24 like his Dad, and Nylander 92 or 88.

I just dont like having a team of players wearing assigned numbers. I'd prefer a bit more variety.

ya I think at this level players should be picking their number.. I don't care what they pick but you're paying these guys millions to play hockey... let them pick the number they want.

I would like to see Nylander in 92 actually... and then Marner in 93... and Stamkos in 91... soo... yeah...

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I don't care until someone makes a number mean something. I'm not hung up on the aesthetics but the sentimental value a player can create wearing any number. If a Maple Leaf scored a GWG in OT during the playoffs wearing 59 I'd think it was a great number.

CDP

Nov 30, 2014
39 would be a nice number for Marner IMO.

Hopefully they're just rookie numbers anyway.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah numbers are really important.

4, 9, 19 are classic glamour numbers. 27 and 14 are important Leaf numbers, the 90s tend to look like slick superstar numbers, especially 99, 91, 93, and now 97. 21 is a great Swedish number. 92 seems to be less of a great number. 88 is a big number as well. A few years ago you had a bunch of Scandinavians and Russians with 13. 29, 31, 33 are some of my preferred goalie numbers. The 40s and 50s look like minor league call ups.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
Yes in the sense that some are ugly and some are not. It's weird and completely arbitrary. I suppose for the players themselves there's all sorts of superstitions that are personal to them.

What I have always found strange is people getting jerseys/numbers for players that haven't come up yet, or free agents that have signed. A little premature.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
I mean, I don't care in the sense that it really doesn't bother me. But I do recognize that some numbers look aestetically better than others.

However take Kadri as example. When he first came in with 43 it seemed like an odd fit. Now, years later. I can't imagine him without it. Fits him like a glove. He's made it his own.

Just give them time.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I mean, I don't care in the sense that it really doesn't bother me. But I do recognize that some numbers look aestetically better than others.

However take Kadri as example. When he first came in with 43 it seemed like an odd fit. Now, years later. I can't imagine him without it. He's made it his own.

Just give them time.

He would look a lot better if he just wore 12 or something normal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad