Do you care about jersey numbers?

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Yes. The is an unwritten bro code league wide about certain numbers for each team that players shouldn't wear or have to ask a past player for permission. Numbers 99 is retired league wide. There are 2 or 3 more I believe players hold in high regards league wide because of the player(s) who wore them: 9 (Maurice Richard, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, etc.), 66 (Mario Lemieux) and 77 (Paul Coffey and Ray Bourque). Then there are numbers that have special powers like 4, 9, 11 and 19 which turn you into a superstar.

The league is set up a bit like the NFL in regards to assigning numbers. Single numbers are generally defensemen, 10-30 are forwards, 30-40 are goalies, and there are exceptions to these but that's a general consensus. When you have consecutive numbers for your roster it's looks weird, especially when they're all on the same line. Having numbers all across the board, you have an easier time associating the player with their number.

So yes, jersey numbers do matter.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can understand Players caring, don't understand why a fan would care what number someone else would wear.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Didn't Shanahan recently say the numbers that have been honored won't be used again unless the player who last had it gave his permission.

Not sure if he said that... but...

Nobody on the Leafs is wearing #s 1, 4, 7, 9, 10, 13, 17, 21, 27, or 93.

Perhaps the Leafs have actually retired all of those numbers, without telling anybody?

ya I think at this level players should be picking their number.. I don't care what they pick but you're paying these guys millions to play hockey... let them pick the number they want.

I would like to see Nylander in 92 actually... and then Marner in 93... and Stamkos in 91... soo... yeah...

In theory, that works... but at camp, you've generally got 50+ players there, and they all need a different number. Doesn't make much sense to have everybody (including those unlikely to make the team) picking their own numbers.

I'm not sure if Lou is wanting to enforce the "no numbers over 30 rule", or maybe now it's a "no numbers over 40 rule"... but it does seem odd that they would switch Nylander from 62, and Kapanen from 29, to 39 and 37 respectively.

I'd imagine that Nylander would want 92, and that they really don't care if O'Dog has a problem with it.

Why they didn't give Kapanen 24, a good question.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Perhaps the Leafs have actually retired all of those numbers, without telling anybody?

In theory, that works... but at camp, you've generally got 50+ players there, and they all need a different number. Doesn't make much sense to have everybody (including those unlikely to make the team) picking their own numbers.

I'm not sure if Lou is wanting to enforce the "no numbers over 30 rule", or maybe now it's a "no numbers over 40 rule"... but it does seem odd that they would switch Nylander from 62, and Kapanen from 29, to 39 and 37 respectively.

I'd imagine that Nylander would want 92, and that they really don't care if O'Dog has a problem with it.

Why they didn't give Kapanen 24, a good question.

Doesn't Holland wear 24?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Doesn't Holland wear 24?

That he does... his play was just so forgettable last night... :facepalm:

Perhaps Kapanen picked that given that 24 was taken, as was 42, and no numbers over 40 were going to be allowed.

The no numbers over 30 rule doesn't really work if you pseudo-retire 9 of them, in addition to the 2 that are officially retired.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
The O dog has a problem with William wearing the 39 :laugh:

He said he would have been devastated if he couldn't wear the 92 and that players should choose numbers they are comfortable wearing!

I agree. This whole deal of "earning" numbers sounds so backwards IMO.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That he does... his play was just so forgettable last night... :facepalm:

Perhaps Kapanen picked that given that 24 was taken, as was 42, and no numbers over 40 were going to be allowed.

The no numbers over 30 rule doesn't really work if you pseudo-retire 9 of them, in addition to the 2 that are officially retired.

Forgettable most nights. I don't see Holland sticking around much longer so perhaps 24 will be available sooner than later.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
Didn't realize that I cared until last night actually. Low numbers seem a lot better and the higher numbers all look like they belong in preseason. Even Gardiners 51 looks bad.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Didn't realize that I cared until last night actually. Low numbers seem a lot better and the higher numbers all look like they belong in preseason. Even Gardiners 51 looks bad.

That could just be the Player.

The Blue Leafs

Jan 3, 2014
Hamilton, ON
Anyone who is arguing a player caring about what number they prefer to wear is hilarious. You argue that it shouldn't matter and yet you have an issue with them preferring one to another.

A person's preference is their preference. Why the heck should someone have a say in your preference. Does it affect the way the team in anyway?

Mountains out of mole hills. Ridiculous logic.

BurnTheBoats

Sep 25, 2015
I agree. This whole deal of "earning" numbers sounds so backwards IMO.

Why?
It's part of being a pro, you earn your number
That should be one of the selling points of becoming a Toronto Maple Leaf, only 5-other teama have the same ability, why not utilize it.

When's the last time one of our goalies wore #1?

If you ever played hockey, most people always picked a number that their favourite player wore.

Do you honestly think Nylander or Kapanen would deny wearing - #13 or #21

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Funny how no one would dare choose a 66 or an 87 but 4 and 9 are wide open even though all were/are worn by legendary players.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Funny how no one would dare choose a 66 or an 87 but 4 and 9 are wide open even though all were/are worn by legendary players.

Comes down to the fact that Mario & Sid were the only guys of significance to wear that #, whereas 9 & 4 have been worn by many.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Other than JVR who still wears #21, I don't think any of those numbers, in addition to #5 and #6, will ever be worn while Shanny is in control.

You might be right. I wouldn't be surprised to hear an announcement next year that all those numbers have been officially retired.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Other than JVR who still wears #21, I don't think any of those numbers, in addition to #5 and #6, will ever be worn while Shanny is in control.

You might be right. I wouldn't be surprised to hear an announcement next year that all those numbers have been officially retired.
I can see Toronto retiring #13, #14, #17, #27 and #93. No one has worn them since Sundin, Clark, and Gilmour. Now no one has worn #14 since Matt Stajan was traded and no one has worn the #27 since Michael Peca, so I think it's fair to say those should also be retired.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I can see Toronto retiring #13, #14, #17, #27 and #93. No one has worn them since Sundin, Clark, and Gilmour. Now no one has worn #14 since Matt Stajan was traded and no one has worn the #27 since Michael Peca, so I think it's fair to say those should also be retired.

No one wore 13, 17 and 93 because they are the ones that contemporary players grew up watching.

If numbers are retired, there should (and probably would) be an order in which they're done. First, the 30's stars. Then the 40's, and so on.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
No one wore 13, 17 and 93 because they are the ones that contemporary players grew up watching.

If numbers are retired, there should (and probably would) be an order in which they're done. First, the 30's stars. Then the 40's, and so on.

It seems like they've become unofficially retired since Shanny took over...maybe it's a situation where they're not goign to retire them, but rather, only allow specific players to wear them.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
It seems like they've become unofficially retired since Shanny took over...maybe it's a situation where they're not goign to retire them, but rather, only allow specific players to wear them.

That's possible too. Though I remember a time in Matt Stajan's rookie year where many believed that Dave Keon finally had a "worthy" successor to wear #14 after Jonas Hoglund had previously worn it.

How many players are ever worthy of wearing a number like #14, and how do we ever know who is worthy until after the fact? I can see taking a chance on a player like Marner, but I'd rather new players just leave those numbers alone. They can choose from about 85 numbers.

(I would love if number scarcity becomes a problem one day! It would mean lots and lots of more cups)

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Yes.

They irk me more than they probably should.

I agree with the OP. I think 39 and 37 are ugly for Nylander/Kapanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad