Do you care about jersey numbers?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yes, because when I played I always had to have a certain number.

For me as a player, my jersey number was everything lol.

Seeing players get assigned random jersey numbers that have no significance... I don't know, isn't my style.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Easily, if Stamkos wants to sign with Toronto we offer him #10(Armstrong/Apps) and the "C"

That's what makes Toronto different from 24-other teams ,why not award our players with historical #'s

What true hockey player would deny wearing

Keon
Clark
Sundin
Horton
Gilmour
Kennedy
Broda/Bower
Armstrong/Apps
Mahovlich/Sittler
Salming/Conacher

Im actually of the oppostie thinking. Growing up my favorite player was Gilmour, but if i was offered #93 on Toronto I would turn it down.

That number has a legacy and I would not want to be the one to tarnish it. Thats why im glad Clarkson chose #71 opposed to #17. That could have put a big smudge on the history of that number.

Growing up I played a lot of sports and they would hand out all the jerseys, you wouldnt have a say in what number you got, but for some reason in every sport I always was given #7. To me that meant that #7 must be my number, but as i grew older i started to play defense and to me #7 was a forwards number because of Esposito and Tkachuk. So i changed to #77 like Ray Bourque and have used that ever since. Now that I play forward again I still wear #77 but I feel weird since i associate it with Bourque.

With all of that said, I voted no, i dont care about numbers. Its not for any cliche reason like "I care about the logo on the front, not the name on the back." Blah, blah, blah... I just dont really care. If a player chooses a weird number it will just take a little time to get used to it.

Kadri wore #91 in London now wears #43
Gardiner wore #19 on the Marlies now is #51
Rielly was #4 in Moose Jaw now wears #44
Nylander wore #88 on Modo, #21 on Swedish WJC team, and #62 on the Marlies.

If the players dont care about it, why should I?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Im actually of the oppostie thinking. Growing up my favorite player was Gilmour, but if i was offered #93 on Toronto I would turn it down.

That number has a legacy and I would not want to be the one to tarnish it. Thats why im glad Clarkson chose #71 opposed to #17. That could have put a big smudge on the history of that number.

Growing up I played a lot of sports and they would hand out all the jerseys, you wouldnt have a say in what number you got, but for some reason in every sport I always was given #7. To me that meant that #7 must be my number, but as i grew older i started to play defense and to me #7 was a forwards number because of Esposito and Tkachuk. So i changed to #77 like Ray Bourque and have used that ever since. Now that I play forward again I still wear #77 but I feel weird since i associate it with Bourque.

With all of that said, I voted no, i dont care about numbers. Its not for any cliche reason like "I care about the logo on the front, not the name on the back." Blah, blah, blah... I just dont really care. If a player chooses a weird number it will just take a little time to get used to it.

Kadri wore #91 in London now wears #43
Gardiner wore #19 on the Marlies now is #51
Rielly was #4 in Moose Jaw now wears #44
Nylander wore #88 on Modo, #21 on Swedish WJC team, and #62 on the Marlies.

If the players dont care about it, why should I?

Kadri asked for #13. Leafs said no because of Sundin.

Gardiner wore #19 for the Marlies, but Lupul has that number.

Rielly was #4 for Moose Jaw, but Franson had the number.

Nylander was #88 on Modo because his dad was #92 at the time, He was #21 on WJC because that in Sweden is known as the best offensive players number (Plus normally WJC teams never have high numbers), and #62 was a random number given to him by the Marlies. His preferred number is #92 because of his dad.

To me if the number doesn't have significance then they should be up for grabs. For someone to take 13, 17, 27, and 93 (just to name a few) they should have to ask the person themselves.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
So, I have a question for those of you who are attached to numbers. Why?

Is it superstition?

Is it insecurity -- some kind of fear that people won't recognize you with your number?

Is it form of rebellion against authority?

Something else?

Personally when I played sports as a kid, I never cared what number I wore. Numbers are just a label to identify a player? Does it really matter if a player is wearing 24 one week and 269 the next as long as the information is clearly available as to who is who?

As I say this just something I've never understood.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Not liking the 39 for Nylander. I was actually getting used to the 62. Even the 21 and 88 are good.

And i hope Kapanen goes with the 71 he has used before. eventually.

I'd hope Marner takes the 93 and Connor Brown should just keep the 29.

Last edited:

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota

Nylander was #88 on Modo because his dad was #92 at the time, He was #21 on WJC because that in Sweden is known as the best offensive players number (Plus normally WJC teams never have high numbers), and #62 was a random number given to him by the Marlies. His preferred number is #92 because of his dad.

To me if the number doesn't have significance then they should be up for grabs. For someone to take 13, 17, 27, and 93 (just to name a few) they should have to ask the person themselves.

My point was that if they cared about the number they could have switched to any "normal looking number." At any point over the past 12 months Rielly could have said "now that Franson is gone can I have #4?" But he has not done so. Im not behind the scenes but i think its because he knows its just a number.

Kadri and Gardiner have had plenty of time to change their numbers to anything. Like i said before Kadri wore #91 in Junior nobody has worn that number since he has been here yet he never changed from #43.

Gardiner could have chosen anything besides #51 yet has kept it for 5 years.

As for having to ask for those special numbers, that is already how it works. In order to wear the number of any player that has been honored, the new player must ask for the permission of the honored player to wear that number. Or at least that is how it used to be.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Why? Sundin, Clark, Sitler, and Gilmour were important players in Leafs history. But they weren't their numbers. What's the big deal if, let's say, Abe Kerchowski, the worst player to ever lace up skates in the NHL, wears 13 for the Leafs? Are people going to confuse him with Mats Sundin?

Should we prevent players with the last name of Sundin, Clark, Sitler, and Gilmour from playing under those names with the Leafs? After all, those are strings of characters on the back of uniforms too.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
I really don't understand why they aren't given somewhat of a choice for what number they wear. Same with the no facial hair ********. If a player has a specific number they want to wear because it has some sort of meaning to them, what's wrong with that?

If these guys are stuck wearing these ugly, meaningless numbers I hope Dubas gets rid of Lou's old school attitude towards stupid things like that when he takes over.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I really don't understand why they aren't given somewhat of a choice for what number they wear. Same with the no facial hair ********. If a player has a specific number they want to wear because it has some sort of meaning to them, what's wrong with that?

If these guys are stuck wearing these ugly, meaningless numbers I hope Dubas gets rid of Lou's old school attitude towards stupid things like that when he takes over.

Non of it is bull. It all matters. It's a collective thinking.

To create a professional attitude, you lay down the law and everyone must follow it to a tee. It's not about players not having some facial hair, or spiting players wanting certain numbers. It's making everyone be the same, a part of something and saying you earn privileges like numbers... etc you don't just turn up to the show and get what you want.

It's the same as wearing a uniform. Turning up for practice on time. Being quiet when the coach talks. Going to pat the goalie's head when you win.

Look professional, act professional, be a part of a united team. All the small things count.

It's a similar process to the marginal gains theory.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
There's ugly numbers and there's suitable numbers. But that's all arbitrary. I'm not Brian Burke, if you wanna rock #82 couldn't care less. It's just a number FFS.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I only care if they switch numbers between now and next yr.

For real, I am a rugby player and the position u play is the # u wear.

Buttery

Feb 21, 2015
UK
Yes, but I fully aknowledge its dumb. Some numbers just look better to me, and I have no better explanation than that.

This.
Thought Nylander would be 62/92.

Playing soccer, some numbers mean certain positions to me. Only GKs wear 1, strikers 9 etc. Not the same in hockey so can't explain it.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Numbers don't really matter to me as such, but if management interferes and stifles your freedom to choose the number of your liking, your hairstyle, your facial hair and your style of dress, it's getting ridiculous. There is no (good) reason to do any of that. In fact, it can only serve as a distraction from the stuff that really matters. Authority always has to be justified and this kind of "military moral" never is.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
I'm a fan of jersey aesthetics, and not just NHL sweaters. I've always been into the look and style of sports jerseys & logos, etc. But don't care about the numbers on hockey sweaters..

I'm partial to #12 on a quarterback's jersey tho.. because of Bradshaw & Brady..

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
It's along the same lines as the no facial hair. I guess it's Lou's way of letting them know he's in charge. Antiquated thinking really.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
When you think of leaf numbers 14. 27, 21, 93, 13, 17

They mean something because the players that wore them made them mean something. They are important because the players' performance made them important.

All players try to make their number mean something. Maybe 39 will be huge in 10 years. 43 might be on legends row in 40 years. Numbers are as good as the players that wear them.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
I agree that a prospect should be given a number if they're with the team on a temporary basis. I also believe players should be able to choose their number when they've made the team indefinitely.

I also agree with some of you in saying that the player should have to ask permission to wear honored numbers.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Not really, but I wouldn't mind it if guys actually picked numbers instead of just taking whatever 40-60 training camp number they are given.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Non of it is bull. It all matters. It's a collective thinking.

To create a professional attitude, you lay down the law and everyone must follow it to a tee. It's not about players not having some facial hair, or spiting players wanting certain numbers. It's making everyone be the same, a part of something and saying you earn privileges like numbers... etc you don't just turn up to the show and get what you want.

It's the same as wearing a uniform. Turning up for practice on time. Being quiet when the coach talks. Going to pat the goalie's head when you win.

Look professional, act professional, be a part of a united team. All the small things count.

It's a similar process to the marginal gains theory.

I don't know how much I buy this. Obviously it's all about teamwork and whatnot, but people remember and revere heroes and their accompliahments, not anonymous line-toers.

We remember the 93 Leafs because of Gilmour and Clark, not because of team effort. Toews, Kane and Keith are what we'll remember about the Blackhawks dynasty, not their well-executed conservative team play.

Obviously you don't want egos, we all want everyone to buy in and be on the same page, but I don't think I buy into this need for anonymity. Sports are about people coming together, working and sacrificing together to meet common goals. Keyword being "people". Not face-less automatons executing their programming.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I don't know how much I buy this. Obviously it's all about teamwork and whatnot, but people remember and revere heroes and their accompliahments, not anonymous line-toers.

We remember the 93 Leafs because of Gilmour and Clark, not because of team effort. Toews, Kane and Keith are what we'll remember about the Blackhawks dynasty, not their well-executed conservative team play.

Obviously you don't want egos, we all want everyone to buy in and be on the same page, but I don't think I buy into this need for anonymity. Sports are about people coming together, working and sacrificing together to meet common goals. Keyword being "people". Not face-less automatons executing their programming.

Remembering them has nothing to do with the importance of everyone's contribution though.

Of course everyone remembers the headliners, they put all the value into their game breaking moments and the exciting aspects of the game.

It's not about making people faceless either. Everyone has a personality, a style on and off the ice. It's about coming together for a common goal. But for management, it's important that a line of authority and respect is established and maintained.

I guess to simplify, I would say that choosing what numbers a rookie gets doesn't impact their game. But it does let them know they haven't made it yet, and that it's not all on a plate for them. There's no negatives there for me, and if a player was to then sulk and kick up a fuss as a result, you're probably getting an insight into their character.

In my opinion, Lou is so good as what he does because of the fact he is hard nosed and he values discipline. People will know where they stand with him. There is nothing worse than members of authority showing inconsistency or favouritism. Lou is Lou and his values encourage success and unity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad