Do the Leafs trade Marner this summer if they're out in Round 1?

Do the Leafs trade Marner this summer if they're out in Round 1?

• Yes

Votes: 96 33.2%
  • No

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • It doesn't matter. It won't make any difference

Votes: 105 36.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
This entirely depends on how they lose. If Marner is by far their best player, and puts up 14pts in 7 games, then I doubt he's on the chopping block. The opposite can be said if they get swept and he has 0pts and is a -7.

We'll see how it plays out.
You talking about the ghost from game one? I doubt he does anything. Just chips the puck forward to avoid getting hit. Can't win a battle along the boards to save his life. Guy is just not built for the playoffs.

Reactions: zeeto

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
We'll probably be stuck with him next year. But if doesn't do anything these playoffs I'd try to trade him this summer, if he blocks it I'd let him walk the following year unless he takes a significant discount.

The guy has a career 16 goal pace (per 82 games) in the playoffs, just not anywhere near good enough for what he's making.

Career RG pace:
Matthews: 54g, 95p
Marner: 28g, 91p
Tavares: 34g, 77p
Nylander: 30g, 72p

Career Playoff pace:
Matthews: 35g, 71pts
Marner: 16g, 76p
Tavares: 32g, 64p
Nylander: 28g, 66p

Difference:
Matthews: -19g, 24p
Marner: -12g, 15p
Tavares: -2g, 13p
Nylander: -2g, 6p

Matthews is even worse TBH.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Career RG pace:

Career Playoff pace:

Difference:

This is what happens when you nickel and dime your superstars, while other teams give their stars real money, Toronto superstars suffer the poverty franchise. The reason for their poor performances is they can't focus on the game due to coupon clipping (wrist issues), picking up cans (back issues), squeegeeing and panhandling all day (jelly legs) with their minuscule contracts.

If you give them all a raise, I promise you they will do better

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Tampa got swept before their 2 Cups.

If they blew it up they wouldn’t have 2 Cups. Super comparable.

Carolina nearly always loses to the same team the Leafs lose to. They just get to play them later.

Edmonton has made it to the third round beating 2 weak teams. They never beat a team that won the conference or a Cup or was even considered a contender in recent history.
You're calling LA weak? LOL you should really sit this one out.

Reactions: BCNate

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You're calling LA weak? LOL you should really sit this one out.

LA has had less playoff success than the Leafs in the last 9 years (since Matthews/Marner/Nylander were even drafted). They won a total of 6 playoff games in the last 9 years. 5 of those wins came against Edmonton. When they faced SJ and Vegas they won 1 game and then got swept.

They average 0.6 playoff games won per season over the last 9 years.

If that isn't the definition of a weak team I don't know what is.

• Haha
Reactions: BCNate and Sniper99

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
LA has had less playoff success than the Leafs in the last 9 years. They won a total of 6 playoff games in the last 9 years.

They average 0.6 playoff games won per season.
Jesus, you're not making us look good here. Especially after last night.

There really isnt such a thing as a weak team in the playoffs, Toronto should have beaten the "weak" Blue Jackets and shit the bed. Leafs had a "weak" Montreal team and they had them on life support down 3-1 in the series and that "weak" montreal team came back and our boys and the "core" A series win is a series win. Doesnt matter how "weak" the other team looks on paper. I cant believe a fellow leafs fan would be judging series wins when it took us 18 years to win a god damn series.

Reactions: Bileur

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Jesus, you're not making us look good here. Especially after last night.

There really isnt such a thing as a weak team in the playoffs, Toronto should have beaten the "weak" Blue Jackets and shit the bed. Leafs had a "weak" Montreal team and they had them on life support down 3-1 in the series and that "weak" montreal team came back and our boys and the "core" A series win is a series win. Doesnt matter how "weak" the other team looks on paper. I cant believe a fellow leafs fan would be judging series wins when it took us 18 years to win a god damn series.

I agree the Leafs should have beat the Blue Jackets. They choked. It was a rare 5 game series. They Leafs were the 8/9th seed and Babcock was fired that year. They weren't a good team that season.

Montreal was not a weak team. They went to the finals and beat Vegas in 6 games after sweeping the Jets (who swept the Oilers). The Leafs beat Montreal (without Tavares) more times than the entire Western conference did combined.

Last edited:

Geoist

May 1, 2015
They didn’t get dominated in last years playoffs, and if you want to use 1 game sample size this season then that’s on you

Constantly making it no further than 1st or 2nd round in the playoffs is getting dominated, especially considering their salary cap.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They can’t trade Marner. He’s the only one on the team that KNOWS they are a great team despite having none of the success that great teams have. And if he’s gone, who’s going to prevent scrambles in the brain? No one. He’s untradeable. Close thread.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Starting to kind of view him in the Gaudreau territory (although he’s better).

Will play great when it doesn’t really matter, but you’re in trouble if you’re paying him to be your best orn2nd best player

Crazy idea but maybe get a reliable goalie if you want to win
Much easier said than done when you give Matthews/Marner/Nyoander anything they want and have an $11M 60pt player on the roster

Also last post season and last game were not the fault of Samsonov

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Toronto is a poorly run franchise who are extremely stubborn with this type of stuff.

It's not that Marner is a bad player. He's just one of those players that isn't worth the cost to keep him. The league has many players like this. It's the same with Tavares there at this point in his career for them too. Both of these players should be gone from Toronto and they can then use the space to better round out their team. Although he should be, I doubt Marner will be gone but Tavares probably will be. So that'll be their "new direction" if/when they fail.
Tavares isnt goin anywhere till that contract his up. Even then I wouldnt be surprised if Treliving re-signs him for like 5-6 mill for a couple seasons. Hes not waiving his NTC either

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I am sooooooo looking forward to Jeff O’Neill absolutely raging at Marner today on the radio for just standing there stickhandling on the PP

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
I agree the Leafs should have beat the Blue Jackets. They choked. It was a rare 5 game series. They Leafs were the 8/9th seed and Babcock was fired that year. They weren't a good team that season.

Montreal was not a weak team. They went to the finals and beat Vegas in 6 games after sweeping the Jets (who swept the Oilers). The Leafs beat Montreal (without Tavares) more times than the entire Western conference did combined.
So true, that Montreal team was a juggernaut, one of the greatest ever assembled. No shame in being up 3-1 and going on to lose the series.

Sensin5

Jan 27, 2013
Those people exist within every fanbase.

They do, but some teams have larger swaths of fans that are close to the opposite. Over the past number of years I would say the Sens fall in that category - the near hatred for previous ownership and management was palpable. Now it may have been because we were a little spoiled for about a decade where we were always in the mix (without getting a Cup) and then we fell off a cliff.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
So true, that Montreal team was a juggernaut, one of the greatest ever assembled. No shame in being up 3-1 and going on to lose the series.
They also seem to conveniently forget every time this comes up that Toronto and Columbus had literally identical records going into that 2020 series and Toronto was just the higher seed because of ROW. There's no shame to losing to a similar flawed team. The Montreal series is the one they should point to as the true failure, and even that is largely because Tavares got hurt in the first game and Price was vintage Price.

Reactions: tfwnogf

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Career RG pace:

Career Playoff pace:

Difference:

He played 2 playoffs so far with a destroyed wrist, context matters.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
He has a NMC.

I think they will run it back again. They will let Brodie, Samsonov, Bertuzzi walk and re-invest in defenders. They have young wingers like Robertson, Knies, Cowan, Grebyonkin that can fill in these gaps on ELC contracts.

Next year is a wash imo, and the year after leafs have 22M coming off the cap in Marner and Tavares and the team will look much different.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Even if the Leafs wanted to shake things up, you don't trade Marner just to trade Marner.

First the right deal has to be available, and that has nothing to do with the Leafs lack of playoff success. NMC makes it tougher as well.

So I'm going to say odds are no. He's only got 1 year left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad