Do the Leafs trade Marner this summer if they're out in Round 1?

Do the Leafs trade Marner this summer if they're out in Round 1?

• Yes

Votes: 96 33.2%
  • No

Votes: 88 30.4%
  • It doesn't matter. It won't make any difference

Votes: 105 36.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Even if he decides to allow a trade(doubtful, and certainly narrows down the potential trade partners), I don't think he will have much trade value. Seems bizarre to say, but an 11m for one year who will probably want a raise in his next contract, has zero toughness, and is not known for being effective in the post season is not something GM's will be lining up for.

I am not saying he is a bad player, at all. He is a very talented regular season offensive player. He just was rewarded with a huge contract way too early in his career and it has severely affected perceptions about him and his worth.

Reactions: Schmooley

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
We can't deal him, he has a NMC and controls his fate

The reality is Toronto will keep the big 3 (Matthews, Nylander, Marner), let Tavares' contract expire and start the second phase of the Matthews era. For better or for worse, they are not being traded

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If Leafs are out in round 1, Shanahan and Keefe need to be gone. Play out next season and let the new regime decide how to move forward with Tavares and Marner off the books.
Or trade Marner in the offseason and get a return.

If the team doesn't win something (at least make it to the Conference Final), it's time (in fact, it's too late) to blow it up. Just do it because last night was a disgrace and I don't care about seasonal stats.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
LMAO

that's a good one. Dont trade the softie, non-playoff performer just in case he wins a Cup elsewhere

good grief.

dee stinks...he does NADA in the playoffs and will want 12 mill. Change course

rememeber the Habs series a few yrs back--that was the Leafs' red flag. So gutless. In Game 7 he was Casper the friendly ghost
Kessel was Ppg plus 17 in Pens two Cups. He was very important in both those Championships. Marner is a guy who would very likely do similar if traded to a team that was on the cusp. And his contract NMC allows him to pretty much pick where he goes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Marner is
Even if he decides to allow a trade(doubtful, and certainly narrows down the potential trade partners), I don't think he will have much trade value. Seems bizarre to say, but an 11m for one year who will probably want a raise in his next contract, has zero toughness, and is not known for being effective in the post season is not something GM's will be lining up for.

I am not saying he is a bad player, at all. He is a very talented regular season offensive player. He just was rewarded with a huge contract way too early in his career and it has severely affected perceptions about him and his worth.
excellent defensively too. He’s a Selke candidate pretty much every year. IMO the Leafs would take a step backwards moving MM.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
They can’t speak to Marner about waiving until September. As soon as the playoffs start he disappears until training camp.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Or trade Marner in the offseason and get a return.

If the team doesn't win something (at least make it to the Conference Final), it's time (in fact, it's too late) to blow it up. Just do it because last night was a disgrace and I don't care about seasonal stats.
What would you trade from the Bruins for Marner. Not saying he's not a proven top line player, but at 11 million, teams need to juggle the roster to make him a fit.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What would you trade from the Bruins for Marner. Not saying he's not a proven top line player, but at 11 million, teams need to juggle the roster to make him a fit.
Of course. I'm not saying it will be easy but if we don't do something this year, it's time.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
I don't know. I really don't. It's a mess given the NMC.
It's one of those situations where I don't think the Leafs get better in a trade. At least immediately. And I think Hubey would be great with Matthews, but doubt that solves the problems that would make them want to trade Marner

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's one of those situations where I don't think the Leafs get better in a trade. At least immediately. And I think Hubey would be great with Matthews, but doubt that solves the problems that would make them want to trade Marner
I don't see a scenario where the Leafs win the trade. Matthews and Marner are simply too good. For that reason, once the dust settles, I doubt they get traded.

Mar 31, 2022
You fire Keefe, then when the time comes you let Marner walk if you can't trade him. You only resign Tavares at $4M AAV or less. You use Tavares' remaining $7M to chase a new 2C, and Marners' cap hit for a proper, top-pairing D. Then you still have $3M to spare.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
This entirely depends on how they lose. If Marner is by far their best player, and puts up 14pts in 7 games, then I doubt he's on the chopping block. The opposite can be said if they get swept and he has 0pts and is a -7.

We'll see how it plays out.

Reactions: HockeyWooot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad