Speculation: RBAs next contract

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Do NHL HC salaries have to be reported/public info? If not, there's no reason Rod couldn't take peanuts but have it be completely confidential between him/agent and the team -- which invalidates the theory of his agent wanting to get more for other HCs. Belichick's salary in NE was never public info but NHL may be different than NFL.

Ultimately, I don't really care about any of the noise or what he gets paid. Pay him 10mil a year or 1mil a year it makes no difference to anyone except Rod and Dundon. No cap for coach spending. As long as they come to an agreement, which it seems isn't even remotely in doubt, I'll be happy.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Well, if Friedman's report is correct, we were (again) offering a rather low offer to RBA, which caused friends and others around to believe he was being taken advantage of. And it's quite possible that that discourse caused the initial low offer to be pulled from the table.
If Brindy is willing to take a lower offer, where the f*** does anyone else get off going to the media and stirring this shit up because they don't like it. If the Leafs were able to get a coach willing to take a low salary, do you think you'd have national media members doing 10 minute deep dives into how cheap the organization is because of how much money they make in revenues?

Its all f***ing bullshit. Its a horseshit story fabricated from a less than credible source that was run to stir up controversy about a southern market that the traditional hockey media resents exists. And it is not at all a coincidence they pulled this shit the day the team started prep for their 2nd round series where we represent the single biggest hurdle toward a O6 New York team making the ECF or SCF.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The shitty thing about this was Weekes and O'Neill raking the Hurricanes franchise over the coals for something they "perceived" but seemingly had no concrete information or sourced information. Playing for Canadian clicks....

I've always liked Kevin Weekes, but this feels a tad irresponsible. Jeff O'Neill can go drink a f***ing bottle of Drano for all I care. His rant was totally in character for a guy without any character.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
The shitty thing about this was Weekes and O'Neill raking the Hurricanes franchise over the coals for something they "perceived" but seemingly had no concrete information or sourced information. Playing for Canadian clicks....

I've always liked Kevin Weekes, but this feels a tad irresponsible. Jeff O'Neill can go drink a f***ing bottle of Drano for all I care. His rant was totally in character for a guy without any character.

Looking at this on my laptop I read the first sentence as "Playing for Canadian dicks . . .", lol. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Lempo and DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
If Brindy is willing to take a lower offer, where the f*** does anyone else get off going to the media and stirring this shit up because they don't like it.

For the same reason players don't accept super low contracts to help their team. It screws with the salaries of their peers. If Rod is making a million, it's real easy for other owners/GMs to use that as a data point to underpay coaches of their own. Is it fair? Debatable. Would Rod want others to be compensated fairly? Almost certainly. So he's forced to accept a salary more in line with a coach of his caliber. The horror...

As for the rest of your post, it's the same conspiracy theory BS you've already posted.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Some seem to be irrationally upset about what media folks say. Who cares? Years ago we didn’t warrant the time of day by national media and people were upset that we weren’t getting attention. Now we are good and getting the type of attention Canadian markets get.

Ignore it and move on.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Dundon outright says that a lot of information that was out there this week was completely fabricated and the 99.9 guys agreed. Also said there is no negotiating this time around, everyone is on the same page and it's all about figuring out the details.

Also admitted they probably should have done it earlier, but given everyone has been on the same page it just want prioritized because they all knew it was a formality.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Dundon outright says that a lot of information that was out there this week was completely fabricated and the 99.9 guys agreed. Also said there is no negotiating this time around, everyone is on the same page and it's all about figuring out the details.

Also admitted they probably should have done it earlier, but given everyone has been on the same page it just want prioritized because they all knew it was a formality.

Just curious. Why are you so hung up on this? I don’t have a problem, just curious why.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Oh, good one. How original.

Seriously, why are you so upset about this?
Honestly, because what happened here was some shady shit and we shouldn't be expected to just sweep it under the rug when things like this are completely fabricated.

The world is crazy enough right now without the media making up stories out of thin air. And when you have some of the major players in a spectrum involved in doing something like this, it very much calls into question all of their reporting going forward. You want to be able to trust the people you get your news from, especially when we are talking about the more respected outlets, so seeing this play out like it did when I had prior information from very reliable sources that it was bunk doesn't exactly instill me with a lot of trust about their credibility going forward.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Honestly, because what happened here was some shady shit and we shouldn't be expected to just sweep it under the rug when things like this are completely fabricated.

The world is crazy enough right now without the media making up stories out of thin air. And when you have some of the major players in a spectrum involved in doing something like this, it very much calls into question all of their reporting going forward. You want to be able to trust the people you get your news from, especially when we are talking about the more respected outlets, so seeing this play out like it did when I had prior information from very reliable sources that it was bunk doesn't exactly instill me with a lot of trust about their credibility going forward.
Life is too short so who cares what Dreger says. It has zero impact on anything, We don’t need a victim complex all the time.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I’d be very surprised if it was entirely fabricated, and even more surprised if there were no negotiations. Especially with Rod’s comments about it “being in Tom’s hands” earlier in the week. Of course, Dundon also said he wasn’t involved at all in figuring out Rod’s new deal, so maybe he’s just saying whatever is the best PR at the time.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I’d be very surprised if it was entirely fabricated, and even more surprised if there were no negotiations. Especially with Rod’s comments about it “being in Tom’s hands” earlier in the week. Of course, Dundon also said he wasn’t involved at all in figuring out Rod’s new deal, so maybe he’s just saying whatever is the best PR at the time.
Please stop. Svechhammer wants to feel persecuted. Don't ruin for him.

EDIT: again, in all seriousness, who cares what any media person says? It has zero impact on the Canes and their transactions.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Some seem to be irrationally upset about what media folks say. Who cares? Years ago we didn’t warrant the time of day by national media and people were upset that we weren’t getting attention. Now we are good and getting the type of attention Canadian markets get.

Ignore it and move on.
Oscar Wilde did say something about the two worst things about being talked about.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
f***ing hell, guys, you're both right.

Life IS too short to be worried about everything everyone says, like we're still in freaking middle school. If you think everyone not on HF26 is on the "LOLcanes" train, then the problem is you.

However...

Cheap, lazy narratives (aka "conventional wisdom") are the media's bread and butter. (And the public's as well, but that's a different thread.) Reporters run with little or no evidence! BS hot takes get repeated--as fact--ad nauseam! That's life. The obvious here is that 1) Dundon is going to be "cheap" forever; 2) We will be a "less desirable market" forever; and 3) Any success we have will be in spite of those things.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
During the 2020 negotiations the athletic did an article on Rods contract negotiations and here is what Rod stated

““It’ll happen here,” Brind’Amour said Friday morning. “I don’t see myself doing this long-term. And I don’t see myself doing it anywhere else. I took this job for this purpose, to kind of see if I could help to get us back on track and I don’t think my heart would be in it anywhere else. That’d be hard to do. I get it. I get it why coaches coach one and then the next day they’re trading the hat, and I just don’t think I could do that. It wouldn’t be real.””

Could it be possible, if the Canes win the Cup, Rod will hang up his coaching hat and look for the three peat as a GM where he can claim a championship as. Player, coach and GM? (Starts as an assistant GM for the canes first)

If the canes don’t win the Cup Rod re-signs as coach

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad