OT: Do NOT shout out "TRUE NORTH" during anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
TNSE should hire that Vancouver guy to not sing the anthem. Jets already have 2 words wrapped up for him.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Im going to wait and see what Facebook tells me to do.....

Sad thing is that is how most people in the world today make up there minds

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I for one have a bunch of games coming up and will be yelling "true north" at every single one.

I think all the angst is really because playoffs seem so close and we're not getting it done. In reality though what were people honestly expecting this year?

At the start of the season I thought because we had such a young team and Trouba holding out I fully expected them to struggle a bit the first half of the season, have a stronger second half of the season but ultimately just miss out on the playoffs. In my view that is sort of exactly what's happening/going to happen.

True North gave everyone JUMP for the goal song. They took the starters role away from Pavs. The put Stuart, Thorburn and Burmi in the pressbox opening night. Everyone was so pumped.

To me we're pretty close to where I thought we'd be but with injuries some guys have had the opportunity to step up and have. Scheif showed last year was no fluke and he's the real deal as a #1C. Morrissey has adjusted to the NHL game really well and is showing top pair potential.

To this point goaltending hasn't been consistent enough. I like to compare Helle to Gibson because Gibson was a 2011 draft and Helle was 2012 so I look to Gibson to see what would be reasonable for Helle.

Gibson:
3 years ago: AHL 45 GP with a .919
2 Years ago: 23 GP with a .914
Last year: 40 GP with a .920
This year: 42 GP with a .920

Helle:
2 Years ago: AHL 58 GP with a .921
Last year: 26 GP with a .918
This year: 36 GP with a .909

So I was expecting him to play 40ish games but put up around a .920 save percentage. With Hutch being terrible there wasn't anyone to split the load with but we need Hutch and his contract for the expansion draft. Helle has had 5 terrible games where his save percentage was 0.75 or less. If you take out those 5 games he's put of a .921 over the other 31 games.

I think the team realized he needed a reset/someone else to take the pressure off him for a bit and Pavs fit the bill with the added bonus of showcasing him for the trade deadline. Helle bounced back strong against Chicago and looked good last night.

Things aren't all doom and gloom that people make them out to be. Next year I fully expect to make the playoffs.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I'm going to wear my hat and not stand during the anthem because this is the true north and we're free.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Kids love doing it, it's fun. That's what sports are about. People like to have fun night out. Drink, yell things, wear jerseys as clothing, paint their faces, be silly.

So let them do it. It's just sports. A way to bond with your friends and family. A distraction from the drudgery of this thing we call life. So let them yell I say!

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
How about we just kneel during anthem? That seems to get a rise out of people.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Disagree completely. It makes me proud, not embarressed.

This:yo:

It is definitely a great feeling being in someone else's barn and doing it. My wife and I and our Winnipeg ex-pat friends do it every time at the Staples Center and the Honda Center. The fans there know it is a Winnipeg thing and usually have a nice reaction. Most of them actually think it is a "where we are from" thing. you know, the true north. That is what it represents to me most of all since I am very proud of where I am from. Apart from that I am still totally onboard with doing it as a sign of respect for TNSE for bringing NHL hockey back to Winnipeg and for me back into my life. I had totally quit watching hockey after the team left for the desert and now i have not missed a game since they have been back in Winnipeg (thanks to NHL Center Ice and Directv)

Anyway, I completely disagree with not shouting it. it is the one consistent at every Jets game.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Thank god there are people in here like you. My thoughts exactly, all these complainers, can't be old enough to remember the Jets leaving the first time. You SUPPORT YOUR TEAM OR YOU LOSE IT. But whatever its a free country.

Exactly. It's a free country. So if I come up with the idea of not shouting out "TRUE NORTH" during the anthem singing, and urge others too, should I be banned from the MTS Centre.

A couple of points I would like to address. First off, IMHO, shouting "True North" during the anthem is about your faith and confidence in the ownership group and the product on the ice. Why should I give a shout out to the corporation, when I am dissatisfied when the way things are going.

If some people want to thank True North for bringing the Jets back, that is fine, but you ahve to keep in mind that we are all paying for the Jets in some way. [mod]

If you think my post is ridiculous, then that's your prerogative. Saying it's a democracy, and people are free to shout it out is ridiculous and hypocritical, considering True North has a history of being iron-fisted with the Winnipeg media, and anyone critical of the organization runs the risk of losing their press credentials.

And to the poster I am replying to, yes it's good to support your team, but not at all costs. You seem to forget what city you are in. Winnipeg is a blue collar, small market town, with not a great deal of people with so much disposable income that they can burn money on season tickets. It's like any other industry. If the product is not up to par, and the company keeps charging more and more (higher than inflation), people will eventually put their foot down and say "enough is enough" and walk away. It's economics 101.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Exactly. It's a free country. So if I come up with the idea of not shouting out "TRUE NORTH" during the anthem singing, and urge others too, should I be banned from the MTS Centre.

A couple of points I would like to address. First off, IMHO, shouting "True North" during the anthem is about your faith and confidence in the ownership group and the product on the ice. Why should I give a shout out to the corporation who brought the team back, when I am dissatisfied when the way things are going.

If some people want to thank True North for bringing the Jets back, that is fine, but you ahve to keep in mind that we are all paying for the Jets in some way. [mod]

If you think my post is ridiculous, then that's your prerogative. Saying it's a democracy, and people are free to shout it out is ridiculous and hypocritical, considering True North has a history of being iron-fisted with the Winnipeg media, and anyone critical of the organization runs the risk of losing their credentials.

This is so wrong. I don't do it for that reason at all. I do it because it's a fun thing to do. It has nothing to do with TNSE for me and for thousands of other fans. You're over analyzing this

Last edited by a moderator:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Personally I couldn't care either way. It's not like its an original idea. The Stars have yelled out Stars during their anthem long before the Jets came back. So it happens elsewhere. What I personally don't understand is why certain people cheer after it's done. Like its always "TRUE NORTH!" a few seconds later a cheer about how we yelled true north. First couple times ok, but 6 years later we're still cheering about the stupid little anthem thing. I find that weird.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
This is so wrong. I don't do it for that reason at all. I do it because it's a fun thing to do. It has nothing to do with TNSE for me and for thousands of other fans. You're over analyzing this

This, it's called fun people. :help:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Personally I couldn't care either way. It's not like its an original idea. The Stars have yelled out Stars during their anthem long before the Jets came back. So it happens elsewhere. What I personally don't understand is why certain people cheer after it's done. Like its always "TRUE NORTH!" a few seconds later a cheer about how we yelled true north. First couple times ok, but 6 years later we're still cheering about the stupid little anthem thing. I find that weird.

Maybe we need another thread...

OT: Do NOT cheer after the "True North" shout :D

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Yes, lets show our true colors, not our true north. And along with refraining from chanting TRUE NORTH, lets also perform the the following:

- Baby tantrums every time the other team scores - Everyone stands on their collective chairs and stomps up and down while screaming. Breaking the new chairs in the MTS center is a bonus.

- Soil or burn your jerseys, your choice

- Create a human pinata of Chevy and Chipman, that we will beat mercifully before every home game. At the end of the game, we will hook the pinatas up to a truck, set them on fire, then drag them all the way down portage avenue.

Man, I hate this forum when we are losing.

In other words, you are one to just let things stay as is, without complaining. After six years without a playoff win. After we fill the cup boards full of prospects, and look good on paper, yet are actually worse than the Thrashers were in their last years. You don't see any problem with that??

Maybe you have never heard of a city called "Edmonton, Alberta." Let me tell you about Edmonton. The fans tolerated a rebuild after Pronger left town. However, after Katz bought the team, the Oilers took a nosedive to the bottom of the standings. After a couple of years, fans started writing about their displeasure in blogs and forums, kind of like what has happened for the past year in Winnipeg.

By 2014, after three 1st round draft picks, and the Oilers still stuck in the basement, people in Edmonton took it to another level, all around the city, it seemed you could not go anywhere without visual signs of fans displeasure with the organization. "How Lowe can we go?" billboards, bumper stickers, neon signs, etc. were abundant in the city. Hundreds of fans waited outside the dressing room to boo the team after losses. It became known as the "walk of shame." Nobody wanted to play in Edmonton, not even Dany Heatley.

Changes were finally made in 2015, after the organization finally got the message that there was a fan revolt in progress. With True North like measures implemented for the first time in Oilers history. Throwing jerseys was one thing, but banning fans for the season for signs critical of the organization? Having said that, the Oilers revamped the management, increasing it in all area, hiring a new GM, and other talent.

The franchise lucked out with the 2015 draft, but it took ten long years for the Oilers to return to glory. Now people are once again excited, and Oilers tickets are once again a hot item. Right now the Jets are on year six of mediocrity. Do we really want to wait four more years to turn the club around, into a perennial playoff contender? I sure do not.

It's interesting that you mock people who are critical of True North. Should we still argue in 10 years to shut up and be glad True North brought back the Jets, if the stink on the ice? IMO, its clear that the organization is dysfunctional, and there are plenty of examples (loyalty to a fault, too frugal to pick up a defensive depth, veteran backup, etc). Edmonton is the most similar franchise to Winnipeg. Both are blue collar, small market, working class towns. Yet, you expect people in Winnipeg to react differently than they do in Edmonton, when the team misses the playoffs 5 of 6 years, and is falling fast? Weird.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Meh not big on this anymore.
Apathy is Chipman's worst enemy.
Not there yet could be with one more blah season

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
In other words, you are one to just let things stay as is, without complaining. After six years without a playoff win. After we fill the cup boards full of prospects, and look good on paper, yet are actually worse than the Thrashers were in their last years. You don't see any problem with that??

Maybe you have never heard of a city called "Edmonton, Alberta." Let me tell you about Edmonton. The fans tolerated a rebuild after Pronger left town. However, after Katz bought the team, the Oilers took a nosedive to the bottom of the standings. After a couple of years, fans started writing about their displeasure in blogs and forums, kind of like what has happened for the past year in Winnipeg.

By 2014, after three 1st round draft picks, and the Oilers still stuck in the basement, people in Edmonton took it to another level, all around the city, it seemed you could not go anywhere without visual signs of fans displeasure with the organization. "How Lowe can we go?" billboards, bumper stickers, neon signs, etc. were abundant in the city. Hundreds of fans waited outside the dressing room to boo the team after losses. It became known as the "walk of shame." Nobody wanted to play in Edmonton, not even Dany Heatley.

Changes were finally made in 2015, after the organization finally got the message that there was a fan revolt in progress. With True North like measures implemented for the first time in Oilers history. Throwing jerseys was one thing, but banning fans for the season for signs critical of the organization? Having said that, the Oilers revamped the management, increasing it in all area, hiring a new GM, and other talent.

The franchise lucked out with the 2015 draft, but it took ten long years for the Oilers to return to glory. Now people are once again excited, and Oilers tickets are once again a hot item. Right now the Jets are on year six of mediocrity. Do we really want to wait four more years to turn the club around, into a perennial playoff contender? I sure do not.

It's interesting that you mock people who are critical of True North. Should we still argue in 10 years to shut up and be glad True North brought back the Jets, if the stink on the ice? IMO, its clear that the organization is dysfunctional, and there are plenty of examples (loyalty to a fault, too frugal to pick up a defensive depth, veteran backup, etc). Edmonton is the most similar franchise to Winnipeg. Both are blue collar, small market, working class towns. Yet, you expect people in Winnipeg to react differently than they do in Edmonton, when the team misses the playoffs 5 of 6 years, and is falling fast? Weird.

So this is really just another "I hate Chipman Chevy Zinger" and everything about TNSE thread then? Blind hate?

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
"TRUE NORTH" is a homage to bringing an NHL team back to Winnipeg, keeping it here, and the fans supporting that in and of itself. It transcends the day to day bickering about team performance.

Look, I'm disgruntled too. But if your loyalty is tied to wins and losses then just stop coming until you're happy enough to. Suck up your pride and admit to being a fair-weather fan. There's really no shame in that.

I'm not directing "you" or "your" at anyone in particular here.

Charon2000

Jun 22, 2011
Winnipeg

I agree completely. We're the only fans in the league that feel the need to cheer after our anthem shout. It's annoying. 6 years later we still have to pat ourselves on the back over it.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

I know all about Edmonton. I've lived here since 2011, just a few months before the Jets cam back in fact. (Before that, I lived in, duh, the Yukon).

The boorish attitudes displayed by Oilers fans made me glad I wasn't one of them. Do you really think the boos, the billboards, the thrown jerseys, are what turned the team around? I live here and I don't think so.

Oilers got lucky. The won the draft lottery when the most coveted player in the last 10+ years was draft eligible. Once McDavid was here, then suddenly people like Chiarelli and McClellan were willing to comel.

As fans, no amount of furious posts on a message board, no number of boos, is going to change a damn thing on-ice. So just enjoy the ride wherever it takes us, and cheer on your hometown Winnipeg Jets, win or lose.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I agree completely. We're the only fans in the league that feel the need to cheer after our anthem shout. It's annoying. 6 years later we still have to pat ourselves on the back over it.

Washington does it.
Dallas does it.
Baltimore (baseball) does it.

Maybe there are more

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Prior to the Jets coming back, I remember listening to an audio recording of council members in Glendale, Arizona. They were debating the idea of relocating the franchise and I remember Chipman and other stakeholders giving occasional media comments on the matter; it was pretty exciting to think hockey might come back to Winnipeg and it was obvious that Chipman 'et al' wanted that to succeed. That fizzled out and the sights were turned to Atlanta.
Fast forward to the first regular season Jets 2.0 game and it was some kind of exciting. The amount of work, time, energy, and commitment to make all that happen it far greater than simply saying let's move a team from city 'A' to city 'B'. True North, and its stakeholders, are visionaries want to see this work. Not just for money, but it is clear to me that there is a sense of pride. Local Winnipeg pride, Manitoban pride, and hockey in Canada pride. And the work done from the top down has been exemplary. From the days of having Kyle Wellwood as one your top centers and Tim Stapleton to a PP quarterback, to have Laine, Chef, Ehlers, Trouba, Hellebuyck....and that list goes on. It is a tremendous change.
So hey, you can stop shouting True North all you want but if it wasn't for these folks we wouldn't be able to shout anything at all. I like what they are doing here and appreciate how far we have come.
So no, I won't stop shouting it. I like it. It makes me proud. I am a sports fan and it helps take me away from the daily rat race I call life. And never forget that in the end, it is just a game. That's it.

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
This thread is ridiculous. How about a dose of ****ing context on why we yell True North at the anthem...

I was 15 when Jets 1.0 left for Phoenix. It was devastating to me as a young hockey fan. And EVERYONE assumed that NHL hockey was gone forever. Winnipeg was too small and too poor.

Then TN brought pro hockey (in the form of the Moose) to Winnipeg, they got the MTS Centre built, and over the years, they schmoozed with all the right people, and did all the right things, properly and patiently. They actually brought an NHL team back to Winnipeg. They did what many said was impossible.

Little ol Winnipeg, back in the big leagues. We got our team before Vegas and Kansas City, before Hamilton (remember Jim Balsillie?) and Toronto 2, and Quebec. They effing pulled it off. After over a decade of stagnation in expansion and relocations - WE were first. Go back and read some threads back in 2007 and 2008 in the BoH sub forum. Those that were hopeful the Jets were coming back were the "crazies" or the "Jetties"... If you were on the Jets Owner forum back then --where this anthem-shout-out tradition started-- you clung onto any shred of news about the subject. And while everyone was arguing about whether Winnipeg could support a team or not, or whether there was enough corporate support, or whether the MTS centre was big enough for the NHL, Chipman was working quietly to make it a reality.

They made MY dream a reality. The Jets could be in last place right now - of course I'd be disappointed, but I'd still yell TRUE NORTH. And as long as the Jets are here, I'm not gonna stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad