OT: Do NOT shout out "TRUE NORTH" during anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I sure hope people aren't so blindly loyal to the Jets that they continue to yell "TRUE NORTH" during the national anthem. It's become an embarrassment. Chipman would like to win, but it's clear he is not prepared to open his wallet, and acquire the management personnel, defensemen, or veteran goalie that could kick start the Jets fortunes.

Let's [mod] stop giving a shout out to an organization that gouges fans annually, and isn't prepared to put on a competitive team on the ice. There is no way in hell we should be behind Calgary or Vancouver. Please, DO NOT shout out "True North" during the anthem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Patience...lol
How do all the other teams make a profit with ticket prices half the cost?

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I don't have season tickets but if I was spending that much disposable income on the Jets, I would want my voice to heard somehow. Seeing as true north does not "permit" freedom of the press with the media that covers them, then there is no voice to convey the feelings of the fan base. Refusing to to shout "true north" is a fair and honest medium for fans to be express their feelings.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I sure hope people aren't so blindly loyal to the Jets that they continue to yell "TRUE NORTH" during the national anthem. It's become an embarrassment. Chipman would like to win, but it's clear he is not prepared to open his wallet, and acquire the management personnel, defensemen, or veteran goalie that could kick start the Jets fortunes.

Let's [mod] stop giving a shout out to an organization that gouges fans annually, and isn't prepared to put on a competitive team on the ice. There is no way in hell we should be behind Calgary or Vancouver. Please, DO NOT shout out "True North" during the anthem.

I stopped doing that already. Unfortunately, the vast majority of attendees don't read HF Boards so don't expect your plea to have much effect.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I don't have season tickets but if I was spending that much disposable income on the Jets, I would want my voice to heard somehow. Seeing as true north does not "permit" freedom of the press with the media that covers them, then there is no voice to convey the feelings of the fan base. Refusing to to shout "true north" is a fair and honest medium for fans to be express their feelings.

Well said.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
They are not selling out this year

You are incorrect. The Jets have sold out every single ticket to every single game this season. Just because some of the people who purchased the ticket failed to show up, still counts as a purchased ticket, regardless if there are 1,000 or more empty seats.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

I printed out this post so I could have some reading material.

I now sit in the smallest room in the house, and your words are before me.

Very soon, they will be behind me.

eepruls

Jan 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
While it may have started as an homage to TNSE, I think it's just a unique Winnipeg thing now that everyone does during the anthem. I yell it because it gets everyone jacked up before the game not because I love yelling company names. It's something different that no other team does. I guess what I'm saying is it's just for fun. Chill out.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
OT to the OT.

If we played you in the SCF, I would like us to play The Maple Leaf Forever, instead of O Canada-just the match the shouting.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I for one will now shout it out louder on Friday. IMO giving homage to True North for bringing back the NHL to Winnipeg is a very different matter then the current struggles of our team. Teams will rise and fall over time and I can live with that. This is our last shot at NHL hockey and I will always feel a debt of gratitude to Chipman for that. When we got the team back I promised myself I would fully support the team no matter what happened. I have no intention on going back on that in year 6.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Once the Jets stop selling out next year, this issue should resolve itself.

the day the jets stop selling out is the day the for sale sign comes out. better to throw jerseys on ice.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
You are incorrect. The Jets have sold out every single ticket to every single game this season. Just because some of the people who purchased the ticket failed to show up, still counts as a purchased ticket, regardless if there are 1,000 or more empty seats.

Actually you are incorrect. TNSE has already admitted they don't sell every ticket but they call anything that's 99% sold a sell out. There are 3 seats next to my season tickets that are part of the general pool of tickets available for sale. I know for a fact that many times only 2 of those 3 are sold leaving one seat unsold.

So no, not every ticket to every game is sold. 99% of every ticket to every game is sold. That's as much as 150+ tickets that can go unsold.

Brown says there have been handfuls of tickets going unsold this season, even as the team has continued to claim its perfect sellout streak has remained intact.

So how is a building that isn’t sold out still considered a sellout? "If we get over 99 per cent sold, we — as any other building in all of sports — just list attendance as a sell out," Brown explained.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Actually you are incorrect. TNSE has already admitted they don't sell every ticket but they call anything that's 99% sold a sell out. There are 3 seats next to my season tickets that are part of the general pool of tickets available for sale. I know for a fact that many times only 2 of those 3 are sold leaving one seat unsold.

So no, not every ticket to every game is sold. 99% of every ticket to every game is sold. That's as much as 150+ tickets that can go unsold.

Even when the Jets weren't here during the dark days I used to laugh at the notion of sold out arenas in the NHL. Toronto, Montreal...sure. Elsewhere would depend on the situation and even I've been to games in Montreal (Bell Centre) where there were empty seats. I'm not going to belittle the Jets for calling 99% a full house when I watch games in Florida, Arizona or other locations in the league where they proclaim average attendance figures to be 18K when they'd be lucky if there were 4000 warm bodies in the building. And that's not meant as an indictment on those cities or the Jets, just observational that the NHL is largely self delusional on attendance anyway.

As for the True North chant I'm pretty much aligned with kingbogo's notion outlined above. Am I displeased with the Jets currently? Yup. Am I going to slam the organization? Nope. Will I convey my feelings in the year end survey they send out to season ticket holders? You bet. In a calm, rational and hopefully well reasoned manner. Six years of apathy and going back to poor goaltending is not solid management of a team. Getting people to not shout True North at a Jets game? Like holding back a river with your hands.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Even when the Jets weren't here during the dark days I used to laugh at the notion of sold out arenas in the NHL. Toronto, Montreal...sure. Elsewhere would depend on the situation and even I've been to games in Montreal (Bell Centre) where there were empty seats. I'm not going to belittle the Jets for calling 99% a full house when I watch games in Florida, Arizona or other locations in the league where they proclaim average attendance figures to be 18K when they'd be lucky if there were 4000 warm bodies in the building. And that's not meant as an indictment on those cities or the Jets, just observational that the NHL is largely self delusional on attendance anyway.

As for the True North chant I'm pretty much aligned with kingbogo's notion outlined above. Am I displeased with the Jets currently? Yup. Am I going to slam the organization? Nope. Will I convey my feelings in the year end survey they send out to season ticket holders? You bet. In a calm, rational and hopefully well reasoned manner. Six years of apathy and going back to poor goaltending is not solid management of a team. Getting people to not shout True North at a Jets game? Like holding back a river with your hands.

Pretty much agreed. I'm not happy with this year and how some things have been delt with but I'm not going to slam TNSE and boycott things.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
I think it is entirely within the rights of fans to protest, within obvious boundaries of the rules and good taste.

But I don't really understand the link between most of the OPs grievances and the ownership group itself.

Addressing player personnel matters is not the job of ownership. And frankly, we should all be thankful TNSE sees it that way. Every team that separates player personnel decisions and ownership isn't successful, but every team that fails to separate those two matters ends up unsuccessful. Separation of ownership and player personnel decisions is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for success in pro sports.

The one issue the OP raises that ownership does have control over is selecting and funding management. The fact of the matter is, however, paying more for a GM doesn't do much to actually get them on board. Outside of paying something ridiculous like double his best offer, no GM candidate is going to chose to sign for the team he views as his second best opportunity. Frankly, any GM that would value money over opportunity is one you want no part of anyways.

It may seem insane at the moment, but the reality is the best thing the Jets can do to give them a shot at a top notch GM candidate once Chevy is gone is actually stick with Chevy as long as is fair. That, coupled with a great young core, gives the Jets a much better shot at landing a top GM in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->