OT: Do NOT shout out "TRUE NORTH" during anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Wow thanks for telling me what to shout out at games....what would I do without you?

If you want to pay for my ticket you can tell me what to do.....If you don't I can do what I want

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Stop buying tickets, stop going to the games, stop watching the games if you want to hurt or affect a corporation.

Throwing jerseys on to the ice is childish and not yelling TRUE NORTH! won't do anything. Funny how some are forgetting why we yelled True North anyways. It was a thanks for doing all they did to support a hockey market and bring a team back to a city that was hockey starved. If this truly bothers you that much in how they're running the team then I'd suggest stop supporting the team.

They DO NOT give a **** if you shout a chant at them or not.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Stop buying tickets, stop going to the games, stop watching the games if you want to hurt or affect a corporation.

Throwing jerseys on to the ice is childish and not yelling TRUE NORTH! won't do anything. Funny how some are forgetting why we yelled True North anyways. It was a thanks for doing all they did to support a hockey market and bring a team back to a city that was hockey starved. If this truly bothers you that much in how they're running the team then I'd suggest stop supporting the team.

They DO NOT give a **** if you shout a chant at them or not.

agree with this. i am pretty miserable after that loss but still happy TNSE brought the team back. I won't be throwing anything on the ice unless its a hat.

Though the True North yell was always a bit dystopian for me (corporation name yelled alongside national anthem), i get why people do it. One person folding their arms and being quiet after having spent money already... doesn't seem to make much sense.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Yes, lets show our true colors, not our true north. And along with refraining from chanting TRUE NORTH, lets also perform the the following:

- Baby tantrums every time the other team scores - Everyone stands on their collective chairs and stomps up and down while screaming. Breaking the new chairs in the MTS center is a bonus.

- Soil or burn your jerseys, your choice

- Create a human pinata of Chevy and Chipman, that we will beat mercifully before every home game. At the end of the game, we will hook the pinatas up to a truck, set them on fire, then drag them all the way down portage avenue.

Man, I hate this forum when we are losing.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
While it may have started as an homage to TNSE, I think it's just a unique Winnipeg thing now that everyone does during the anthem. I yell it because it gets everyone jacked up before the game not because I love yelling company names. It's something different that no other team does. I guess what I'm saying is it's just for fun. Chill out.

Stars do it too and I believe one other team. Still unique though.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yes, lets show our true colors, not our true north. And along with refraining from chanting TRUE NORTH, lets also perform the the following:

- Baby tantrums every time the other team scores - Everyone stands on their collective chairs and stomps up and down while screaming. Breaking the new chairs in the MTS center is a bonus.

- Create a human pinata of Chevy and Chipman, that we will beat mercifully before every home game. At the end of the game, we will hook the pinatas up to a truck, set them on fire, then drag them all the way down portage avenue.

My first post in this thread.

I don't think people are just frustrated about losing, it's the way we lose, the lack of action or urgency from management to fix long standing issues, it's terrible coaching decisions, it's seeing other very bad teams fix their issues in much shorter time frames, lack of emotion, almost a flippant acceptance for losing year after year, etc, etc.

It's not just about losing that frustrates people. IMO

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
The is a ****ing corporation. Yelling out its name was always ridiculous. It's embarrassing.

Wrong - it was organic and the words are a legit part of the anthem.

It's not like we're yelling out "With glowing hearts we see thee rise the UNION CARBIDE strong and free"...

m.

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
I for one will now shout it out louder on Friday. IMO giving homage to True North for bringing back the NHL to Winnipeg is a very different matter then the current struggles of our team. Teams will rise and fall over time and I can live with that. This is our last shot at NHL hockey and I will always feel a debt of gratitude to Chipman for that. When we got the team back I promised myself I would fully support the team no matter what happened. I have no intention on going back on that in year 6.

Thank god there are people in here like you. My thoughts exactly, all these complainers, can't be old enough to remember the Jets leaving the first time. You SUPPORT YOUR TEAM OR YOU LOSE IT. But whatever its a free country.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I agree!

Until they get it together we start shouting out 'True North' once they have it all together.

Had season tickets since day one, hadn't seen much. We should be in a playoff spot by now.

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015

LMFAO. I hear that loud and clear haha.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
My first post in this thread.

I don't think people are just frustrated about losing, it's the way we lose, the lack of action or urgency from management to fix long standing issues, it's terrible coaching decisions, it's seeing other very bad teams fix their issues in much shorter time frames, lack of emotion, almost a flippant acceptance for losing year after year, etc, etc.

It's not just about losing that frustrates people. IMO

All the things you state are not unique to our losing situation, they are part of losing seasons everywhere.

Has management done nothing to fix our issues? Just because something does not work, it does not mean there was not an attempt to fix the problem.

Helly was our fix in net, and Hutch was the fix for backup. Everyone on this forum applauded this move at the beginning of the season, stood up and stated "ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!!!" with having Pavs sent down.

Now that its not working, those same people are complaining that nothing was done to address our goalie issues. Complete hogwash revisionist tendencies of a disgruntles fan base. Cry for something, then when that something does not work, complain about that.

Urgency? What is our urgency exactly? We started the season with the youngest team in the league, we are extremely young, our best seasons are still 2 to 3 years away. Other than Wheeler and Little having expiration dates that could create a bit of urgency, what we need is time to allow for developing.

I get the Maurice frustrations, but to be clear, most losing season has a fanbase frustrated with that particular coach. When whatever a coach is trying to do, does not work, we stand on our milk crates, and declare how stupid so and so coach was for trying whatever did not work out. When you are winning, no one cares what the coach is doing.

As for other bad teams doing well, young teams doing well, keep in mind what you see this season you might not see next season.

Columbus was picked to be a top team last season, and failed miserably. This season complete 180. Are we to believe that Torts somehow made the entire difference, when we have seen him fail several times in the past with other teams, or was it just an off year for the Blue Jackets last season.

Leafs are having a strong year, but I will not be shocked at all if they stumble down the stretch and if next season they fall back to a closer level to what we all expected.

There is a fine line between winning and losing in the NHL. Just because you are losing, does not mean you are miles away from winning.

This season i honestly believed we make playoffs, but I jumped the gun. Next season, I absolutely expect we make playoffs, and failing to do so opens up scrutiny on all parties involved with this organization.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
It is your money yell what you want at games or don't as long as you are not saying anything hateful or with foul language

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I go back and forth about whether or not I think its appropriate and respectful. That said, any potential issue I have has no connection to how True North Sports and Entertainment goes about their business.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I sure hope people aren't so blindly loyal to the Jets that they continue to yell "TRUE NORTH" during the national anthem. It's become an embarrassment. Chipman would like to win, but it's clear he is not prepared to open his wallet, and acquire the management personnel, defensemen, or veteran goalie that could kick start the Jets fortunes.

Let's [mod] stop giving a shout out to an organization that gouges fans annually, and isn't prepared to put on a competitive team on the ice. There is no way in hell we should be behind Calgary or Vancouver. Please, DO NOT shout out "True North" during the anthem.

I'm not sure why you think people who shout that are doing it for any other reason than having fun. I will continue to do it and it has nothing to do with TNSE. To me it is now a Winnipeg thing. And it makes me proud.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Early on I remember hearing it when the Jets played in Nashville. It was nice to hear.

m.

My wife and I did it at the last Van Giants game. And people around us smiled. Even the folks in Langley know it's a "Winnipeg thing"

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Everyone has the right to voice their displeasure in any manner they wish. I won't be one of them however, I remember the emptiness that followed after the Jets 1.0 left and after 16 years without NHL hockey I'll be damned if I'm going to allow myself to be a part of that happening again.

I go to games with my son often, seeing the way he idolizes these guys and the look on his face watching them in warm up is awesome. I'd hate to lose that over something so petty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad