OT: Do NOT shout out "TRUE NORTH" during anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Right. There are articles back from when it first started saying that it was started as a salute to True North Sports and Entertainment. It's 100% a True North endorsement. I don't see how it could be perceived any other way.

It was and continues to be a salute to the corporation True North Sports and Entertainment for bringing NHL hockey to Winnipeg. I remember the "thread" like it was yesterday.:laugh: There are posters on here that were over "there" when it was 1st suggested and it likely grew to threads over here. This was a grassroots campaign by many who had been ridiculed over our insistence that NHL hockey would return to Winnipeg

Here are two video from the 1st Columbus game. You can hardly hear the "True North" shout out at all but we could hear each other at the time. You can hear the cheer amongst us after the "True North" shout out when we realized that it had a bit of traction.

Anyone not realizing that True North is shouted at Jets game in honour and appreciation of True North Sports and Entertainment's purchase of the Thrashers and re-birth of NHL hockey in Winnipeg is mistaken. It may have morphed into other things since then but that is how it all began.

From the upper deck

From right around my seats.

Look at the momentum that had gained after only 3 pre-season games for the home opener against the Habs.

Last edited:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
I like hearing and yelling True North when they are in the road. It a testament to how loyal and spread out Jets fans are.

No doubt the ownership group is well aware of the fan base frustrations on losing every season. But their patience in making the right decisions will come to fruition soon.

That same patience is what brought the NHL back to Winnipeg. Which was largely considered would never EVER happen again.

Also, tickets prices are a must with a tiny arena in the smallest market. Accept it or don't. Buy tickets or don't. Watch the Jets or don't.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Some of you really need to stop acting like TNSE is doing you guys a charity by running the Jets. The people who go to Jets games pay top dollar for tickets, from what I've read prices for concessions beers etc are through the roof. Additionally TNSE gets millions in tax breaks from the government. They get their new projects approved with govt funding. By all accounts it sounds like TNSE pretty much owns the city of Winnipeg. They are being compensated just fine for their troubles. The idea that TNSE is untouchable and no one should do anything to offend them is frankly ridiculous and I'm alarmed by the amount of people in this thread giving OP grief and being offended on behalf of a corporation. The guy/girl just suggested that the fans at the game don't do what is an obvious salute to the ownership as a protest and so many of you jumped on him/her like they suggested something blasphemous. People getting offended on behalf of a corporation for someone saying not to give them a shout out? Sounds like something from a dystopian Wachowskis' movie

To the OP, protests are supposed to get attention, being one of the few people staying silent does the opposite of that. Putting a paperbag on your head is a much more effective protest, you don't need 15000 to cooperate with you to pull it off ;)

Are you forgetting True North spent $170 million to buy the team? I'm sorry, but if I put that much on the line, yeah, I'm going to expect people to pay what I charge and get as much government support as I can.

I own a small business, and I utilize every grant and resources the government offers, so I can to ensure the investment I've made into my probate business is sustainable.

True North is not a charity, but they offer a product (whether it's good or not) that I desperately wanted since the original product stopped existing.

As far as I'm concerned, what having the NHL does for the city outweighs what the government money they recieve would do mixed in the city's budget.

I would say more but it would cross to far into politics.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Yes, lets show our true colors, not our true north. And along with refraining from chanting TRUE NORTH, lets also perform the the following:

- Baby tantrums every time the other team scores - Everyone stands on their collective chairs and stomps up and down while screaming. Breaking the new chairs in the MTS center is a bonus.

- Soil or burn your jerseys, your choice

- Create a human pinata of Chevy and Chipman, that we will beat mercifully before every home game. At the end of the game, we will hook the pinatas up to a truck, set them on fire, then drag them all the way down portage avenue.

Man, I hate this forum when we are losing.
:laugh:
Lol, I like your systematic response!

So this is really just another "I hate Chipman Chevy Zinger" and everything about TNSE thread then? Blind hate?

Mostly true, but I'd replace hating with blaming.. Human nature is to blame, seems to satisfy some primal impulse.

I sure hope people aren't so blindly loyal to the Jets that they continue to yell "TRUE NORTH" during the national anthem. It's become an embarrassment. Chipman would like to win, but it's clear he is not prepared to open his wallet, and acquire the management personnel, defensemen, or veteran goalie that could kick start the Jets fortunes.

It's clear to me that it's not Chipman, Chevy, Maurice or Pavs....It's Hellebuyk!!
If Helle had played to his potential this season, we'd be playoff-bound right now. But noooo, he disrespects Winnipeg and its fans, probably wants out, and is therefore sucking. I think we should follow Mr BJ's algorithm above whenever Helle starts, starting with soiling all our Helle jerseys.
Anyone got one? :sarcasm:

Exiled Jets Fan

May 7, 2012
Edmonton, AB
True North pulled off the near impossible by bringing NHL hockey back to Winnipeg and risked considerable capital to do so. By all means stop buying seasons tickets as a protest. Either someone else will, which means you won't get them back when the team starts to win, or the team will be moved. There will not be another purchaser who keeps the team in Winnipeg.

Even if you were to convince True North that there was going to be a fan boycott unless the team wins, they would just have to dig in on the course they are on as they believe it has the best chance of producing a winning team. If you think that they are going to make specific moves based on some mythical fan consensus, which is inherently based on limited information, you are crazy. The worst thing they could do is constantly throw the cards in the air to see if they get a different outcome, which is pretty much what fans, including the ones here in Edmonton, constantly demand unless the team is winning.

Are you forgetting True North spent $170 million to buy the team? I'm sorry, but if I put that much on the line, yeah, I'm going to expect people to pay what I charge and get as much government support as I can.

I own a small business, and I utilize every grant and resources the government offers, so I can to ensure the investment I've made into my probate business is sustainable.

True North is not a charity, but they offer a product (whether it's good or not) that I desperately wanted since the original product stopped existing.

As far as I'm concerned, what having the NHL does for the city outweighs what the government money they recieve would do mixed in the city's budget.

I would say more but it would cross to far into politics.

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Sorry bud, I'm going to keep shouting it. It's not that I'm not frustrated, but it's just a fun thing to do at a game. It's grown to be part of our identity as fans.

It sucks that we're a miracle away from the playoffs right now. There have been so many adversities and distractions for the team this year. Troubagate, injuries, schedule, coaching decisions... Hopefully next season will show us more favour. Either that or a miracle right now would be awesome.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
True North pulled off the near impossible by bringing NHL hockey back to Winnipeg and risked considerable capital to do so. By all means stop buying seasons tickets as a protest. Either someone else will, which means you won't get them back when the team starts to win, or the team will be moved. There will not be another purchaser who keeps the team in Winnipeg.

Even if you were to convince True North that there was going to be a fan boycott unless the team wins, they would just have to dig in on the course they are on as they believe it has the best chance of producing a winning team. If you think that they are going to make specific moves based on some mythical fan consensus, which is inherently based on limited information, you are crazy. The worst thing they could do is constantly throw the cards in the air to see if they get a different outcome, which is pretty much what fans, including the ones here in Edmonton, constantly demand unless the team is winning.

I know I must have touched a nerve judging by the passionate responses, both for and against my opinion that True North is not doing enough to ice a competitive team, while gouging the fans. If you really believe there is an endless stream of people in Winnipeg that want to shell out $10,000 a year to buy Jets tickets, you are sadly mistaken. This city DESERVE a winner, or at least deserves to see management plug the holes that exist on and off the ice (coaching, defensive depth, goaltending veteran, etc)

This is slightly OT this OT thread [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I know I must have touched a nerve judging by the passionate responses, both for and against my opinion that True North is not doing enough to ice a competitive team, while gouging the fans. If you really believe there is an endless stream of people in Winnipeg that want to shell out $10,000 a year to buy Jets tickets, you are sadly mistaken. This city DESERVE a winner, or at least deserves to see management plug the holes that exist on and off the ice (coaching, defensive depth, goaltending veteran, etc)

This is slightly OT this OT thread [mod]

I encourage everyone to continue to shout true north, I love it, it makes us unique, and it's a nice thank you to True North for spending the 15 years working towards bringing and NHL team back to Winnipeg. Some people, as we can see, get a bit too emotional and forget that fact. Without true north, we don't even have a f****** team to cheer for. Cry all you want about what you want people to do, you're entitled to the opinion, I suppose it's understandable when you're upset at them to overreact sometimes, i'm just glad it won't actually ever happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Very well stated. Your second point, especially, is lost on many of us. No more so than during losing streaks.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It's a shout out that has no bearing on anything, nothing what so ever. If it makes you warm and fuzzing, feel free.

But, what really needs to be shouted out and TNSE better be listening... is that the “just happy to be back in the NHL” feeling... is dead and gone.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I'm happy at the direction this team is taking and have enjoyed watching every game this season. It'll be fun to see this young team take bigger steps in the years to come.

I'm glad that management isn't making stupid shortcuts to be a perpetual bubble team. They are building the team right. If some fans are imoatient, whatever. Give up your seats then. You'll be sorry that you did in a couple of years.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
While I do agree that boycotting a harmless gesture is pointless.
I would say to those who are in the know or not... Chipman wanting to win and knowing how to win are not mutually inclusive.
Chipman is no doubt a great business man , it doesn't make him a great hockey mind.
I think he surrounded himself with people he is comfortable with and is willing to ride it out with them out of a genuine loyalty which is admirable and honourable.
I think he needs to likely start looking for people not so close to this city or organization or their respective histories.
He needs an unbiased view with people who aren't yes men.
Until then we struggle

There is this belief of Chipman loyalty driving the bus here, regardless of results. This may come as a massive surprise to you, and a few others, that Chipman sees this team to be exactly where he expected it to be.

You do not rise to the elite of the business world by ignoring your weaknesses, surrounding yourself with yes men, and keeping people in key positions, regardless of results they deliver. It is about the most ignorant comment anyone could make about Chipman, and basing it off the win loss record of his NHL team. Its a surface analyses made by disgruntled impatient fans. From people I have spoken to, that have worked for True North, or done business with them, Chipman is known for hiring the best people, the right people for the position, and trusts them to do their jobs.

Chipman had a plan from the start, and he was/is not going to analyse the ups and downs that he definely knew would occur, as they executed this plan. He was/is not going to make knee jerk reactionary moves based off a losing streak or a poor showing, or missed playoffs. Chipman also did not want a GM that acted out on the micros of the build, making short sighted moves to address long term needs.

Chipman is dedicated to this process, and whether or not you like the current status of this process, it is the right process, and in the end, it will make us the best team we can be. He hired the right GM for this, and a coach that will execute this process, and not allow the short term results to influence any of the strategic plans.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I just don't get this thread. If you don't like what's happening don't go to games and shut off your TV. I'm sure when we are in playoffs and making runs the same people that wanna boycott now will be back on the bandwagon and will be shouting True North at those games. Im thrilled NHL is back, gave the city an identity again. Whether they win or lose I enjoy watching NHL hockey again and am thankful for TNSE for bringing the team back.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Once Katz stepped back and held those in the organization accountable things changed. Yes, #97 helped.

Are you stating that Chipman is meddling with Chevy and the team, and is the shot caller here?

Did Katz stepping back show he finally cared about the product and wanted to make it a winner, or was it his next step in learning how to own an NHL team. The point was that Chipman needs to care about this team, not about making money. I think it is a stupid statement with ZERO validity, made by angry fans that have problems with drafting and developing. That is your team is not firing coaches and managers, or trading players, they are not holding those accountable.

I also find the statement that Katz stepped back, but did a concerted effort to hold coaches and players accountable, as an oxymoron. He became more involved with the team by stepping away from the team?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Some of you really need to stop acting like TNSE is doing you guys a charity by running the Jets. The people who go to Jets games pay top dollar for tickets, from what I've read prices for concessions beers etc are through the roof. Additionally TNSE gets millions in tax breaks from the government. They get their new projects approved with govt funding. By all accounts it sounds like TNSE pretty much owns the city of Winnipeg. They are being compensated just fine for their troubles. The idea that TNSE is untouchable and no one should do anything to offend them is frankly ridiculous and I'm alarmed by the amount of people in this thread giving OP grief and being offended on behalf of a corporation. The guy/girl just suggested that the fans at the game don't do what is an obvious salute to the ownership as a protest and so many of you jumped on him/her like they suggested something blasphemous. People getting offended on behalf of a corporation for someone saying not to give them a shout out? Sounds like something from a dystopian Wachowskis' movie

To the OP, protests are supposed to get attention, being one of the few people staying silent does the opposite of that. Putting a paperbag on your head is a much more effective protest, you don't need 15000 to cooperate with you to pull it off ;)

Wait, people have different opinions on this?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
There is this belief of Chipman loyalty driving the bus here, regardless of results. This may come as a massive surprise to you, and a few others, that Chipman sees this team to be exactly where he expected it to be.

You do not rise to the elite of the business world by ignoring your weaknesses, surrounding yourself with yes men, and keeping people in key positions, regardless of results they deliver. It is about the most ignorant comment anyone could make about Chipman, and basing it off the win loss record of his NHL team. Its a surface analyses made by disgruntled impatient fans. From people I have spoken to, that have worked for True North, or done business with them, Chipman is known for hiring the best people, the right people for the position, and trusts them to do their jobs.

Chipman had a plan from the start, and he was/is not going to analyse the ups and downs that he definely knew would occur, as they executed this plan. He was/is not going to make knee jerk reactionary moves based off a losing streak or a poor showing, or missed playoffs. Chipman also did not want a GM that acted out on the micros of the build, making short sighted moves to address long term needs.

Chipman is dedicated to this process, and whether or not you like the current status of this process, it is the right process, and in the end, it will make us the best team we can be. He hired the right GM for this, and a coach that will execute this process, and not allow the short term results to influence any of the strategic plans.

I don't disagree with the process or plan so much, just questioning the people that are in place to fulfill it. Is our coach the best coach for the players that Chevy is getting? Is Chevy the most capable GM? These are fair questions that need to be asked no matter how much faith you have in Chipman's plan given 6 years of the results we have seen.

And when the day comes that the coach and or GM is replaced, and all GMs and all coaches get replaced one day, it does not mean the process is wrong... it just means the people you hired are not fulfilling the goals of the organization or the process.

And as a side, I don't care if you have the best plan in the world to try a build a winner... having the worst professional goalie on your payroll for 6 seasons shouldn't be part of anyone's plan.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
You don't see how yelling True North during the anthem (as, TNSE brought the Jets back to Winnipeg) can be portrayed as a corporate endorsement? If it has no meaning and is just you yelling during the anthem why not yell other words like FREE or NATIVE?
I honestly don't see how anyone could not see the connection between people yelling TRUE NORTH during the anthem and TRUE NORTH SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT bringing the Jets back to Winnipeg.

It has nothing to with that for me. You can potray it however you feel, but don't superimpose your values on mine and suggest something that is not true (at least with me)

It is crazy to suggest every person who participates is somehow drinking some corporate coolaid. I suggest most are like me.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I have no opinion on the who shouting out TN or not, my opinion is fans have a right to express their opinion or not in whatever means they like (legal means only).

The OP isn't so much about the shout out, it's about a fan trying to communicate or express his fustration and dissatisfaction to the Jets management over the current status of the team, specifically the complete lack of improvement in results over 5.5 seasons. IMO I couldn't care less about the shout out, but I do acknowledge he has a point.....about the lack of real improvement/results (no one can debate that fact, the results in the standings after 5.5 years don't lie or show any bias).

Well that is not what I was talking about. I haven't mentioned anything positive or negative about how the team is run in any post in thread. I have only talked about why I enjoy the shout out and why I will continue to participate in the shout out.

I won't be dragged into that debate about running if the team. Was that what you were trying to do when you quoted my post? I haven't been arguing one way or the other on that issue.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Chipman and the Jets management, coaches, players all want the team to win a million times more then the fans. Those dudes care. Feel free to boycott whatever but it's not going to make any of them start to care more.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Typical thread between the pro and con TNSE fans. Both make their opinionated posts filled with emotion and believe they 100% correct. Both sides make equally comical comments and fair points. This will continue to happen until the team shows real improvement in standings.....which is likely logical & fair response. Six years down.....looking towards year 7 and maybe some improvement.

Ugh.....

It will never end. Even if the Jets win the cup

Well that is not what I was talking about. I haven't mentioned anything positive or negative about how the team is run in any post in thread. I have only talked about why I enjoy the shout out and why I will continue to participate in the shout out.

I won't be dragged into that debate about running if the team. Was that what you were trying to do when you quoted my post? I haven't been arguing one way or the other on that issue.

I quoted you? Are you sure about that?

See above, my original post where I just posted in the thread, not quoting anyone.

See above your post, where you quoted my above post.

Sounds like your were the one trying to drag me into some kind of debate by originally quoting me.

I have no interest arguing anything with you or anyone else, waste of time. I post my opinion at times, as do others, if someone responds I'll respond back to them.

You like the shout out, cool. I like it also. I also defend the right of all fans to express their dissatisfaction about the poor results the team has delivered over 5.5 years. So if some group of people want to stop the shout out, throw jerseys on the ice or burn them even.....I defend that.....the nice thing about living in Canada.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I quoted you? Are you sure about that?

See above, my original post where I just posted in the thread, not quoting anyone.

See above your post, where you quoted my above post.

Sounds like your were the one trying to drag me into some kind of debate by originally quoting me.

I have no interest arguing anything with you or anyone else, waste of time. I post my opinion at times, as do others, if someone responds I'll respond back to them.

You like the shout out, cool. I like it also. I also defend the right of all fans to express their dissatisfaction about the poor results the team has delivered over 5.5 years. So if some group of people want to stop the shout out, throw jerseys on the ice or burn them even.....I defend that.....the nice thing about living in Canada.

You quoted me in this post. This is the one I'm talking about

I haven't followed this thread all day, partly intentionally and partly just too busy so I haven't read many of the posts.

But come on AC while you may not agree with the "cons" opinion surely you have to aknowledge they have some very valid points. Six years and the team has shown zero improvement where it counts, not to mention many extremely puzzling management/coaching decisions over the years. Once this team shows real improvements I'm very confident we will see far fewer "cons" fans but to date there is very little hard improvements in six years. Soft improvements/potential mean little until or if they turn into hard improvements/results.

For the record I've always considered myself neither a con or pro type of fan......I try to look at both sides POV.

Sure sounds like you wanted me to respond.

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
I like the True North shout out.

I get that it's the same name as TNSE, but to me it's a unique "hell yeah" to Canada and the North when quite frankly we usually get overlooked here in frozen 'Toba. Like we did for a large number of years sans NHL team.

Scream if you wanna, don't if you don't. Go to the games or don't. But I always listen for that shout out no matter where the Jets go, cuz to me it's a shout out to not only hockey finally being back here but a Northern pride thing.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
You quoted me in this post. This is the one I'm talking about

Sure sounds like you wanted me to respond.

I responded to you, who quoted me first. I was just answering your quote.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Here is what I don't like/understand.

We are apparently talking about using our national anthem to voice our pleasure/displeasure with a corporate entity. Say what you want about whether or not anthems should be performed before games, but they are and we are talking about using it for the wrong purpose in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad