Dion Phaneuf - Will he stay or will he go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Our core players' value on the free market is highly dependent on the type of season the team has. It really wouldn't be a smart choice to trade a guy like Dion or Phil before seeing what the best coach in the world can do with them and having them follow a successful system. They both are highly skilled players that we know for sure have not been used accordingly. I'm expecting to see a shift not only in the team's mentality but also in seeing the trickle down effect that has on our seemingly underperforming defense corps. I'm not expecting huge things but I am expecting to see better quality of play.

I think I might have said it before, but the first line is, was and will continue to be a double-edged sword for the team. JVR's reluctance to play better defensively as well as all 3 players' cheating to create offense when they were relatively ice cold brought the line to light. Bozak plays more like a winger who is godly on the dot, JVR seems to be tired of trying to make up for his linemates' defensive miscues and Kessel seems to be the sole offensive weapon on the team. As long as this line is given a third of the game, the unfortunate defense pairing playing with them will have to play handicapped.

Leaftors

Jul 21, 2011
Welland, Ontario
Yep, and I don't think Shanahan and company believe that we can at all. And honestly it's damned near impossible to do so. Sure we could mortgage the future again trying to bring in core guys that could push us over the top, but the Leafs have been there done that and aren't likely to try it again. Not to mention to acquire said players would still take more than what little futures we have, so we'd be adding to this "core" by subtracting from it as well. Free Agency isn't what it used to be, and overpaying for the second-class guys that do make it to July 1st would only serve to bloat our cap. Draft is the only way we can acquire the talent we need, and by the time any of those guys are fully prepared to win, Kessel and Phaneuf will be past their prime, taking up valuable cap space while they're at it.

+1
Anybody suggesting positives to having these two around are blinded by what could be with said players. They need to move on, and we need to get the best we can in return for them (while they have high market value, and are of relatively young age._

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I'm hoping that the period from the draft to July 1 is to the Leafs' roster as Bloody Sunday was to the coaching staff/front office/scouting. With Phaneuf first on the chopping block.

Yes please.

People here have a short memory. The only reason to keep a 30 year old + on the team is if they are character leaders &/or mentors. PERIOD. Pheneuf does not fit that mold & he should be cleansed from the memory of the younger Leafs.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I love how people say Kessel is regressing then get behind keeping Phaneuf. You want to talk regression? His 2 worst point total years are.....

You guessed it. This year his worst, last year his second worst. While being top 5 in the league for minor penalties. He's officially done. Move him at any cost. They should've taken that Detroit deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad