Dion Phaneuf - Will he stay or will he go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
He won't be traded for picks and prospects.
We'll have to get crap back or retain salary.
I doubt there was serious interest in wanting him straight up.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
He should go.

Take on a bad contract and move on...

If you're looking to get a building block from Dion Phaneuf's contract, you've got another thing coming.

It won't be a hockey trade.

Ace88*

We lose either way. Trade him and we have a massive hole to fill on the blueline. Keep him and he continues to be a wholly inadequate team leader.

Just a no-win situation.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Personally I don't think a team will look to acquire him prior to the trade deadline due to the uncertainty of the cap going forward, unless they get him dirt cheap. I think him getting traded will be re-visited upon in the offseason.

Ace88*

I agree with grant (ugh) and i also think in any deal we retain salary. 7m dion isnt going to return what we want. A 5.5m dion will.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Personally I don't think a team will look to acquire him prior to the trade deadline due to the uncertainty of the cap going forward, unless they get him dirt cheap. I think him getting traded will be re-visited upon in the offseason.

I personally think Dallas will make a push for him as long as they remain in the playoff hunt. Jim Nill has shown he has no issues with building a Team with other team's castoffs (Seguin, Spezza, Cole, Horcoff) and they have some expiring cap-dumps available, which would be nice because they're dumps we won't have to keep around for even the short-term. They could fit Phaneuf under the cap with overpaid bums like Horcoff, Cole and Peverley (I kinda feel bad about lumping Peverley in with the bums) coming off the books

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Kind of a silly question to ask because MLSE just confirmed the "scorch the earth" rebuild... I think that all but says Dion is gone at somepoint between now and draft day no?

I would imagine so, yeah.

The concern as a fan is obvious though - signing off on "scorched earth" and actually executing on it are two different things. Tearing this thing down won't be easy, with the term and dollar locked up to a number of players including Dion.

With players having term, I wonder whether the tendency will be to "get rid of at all costs" compared to "wait, be patient, and let's see if the right offer comes along"

Probably imperative the team goes the latter

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I would imagine so, yeah.

The concern as a fan is obvious though - signing off on "scorched earth" and actually executing on it are two different things. Tearing this thing down won't be easy, with the term and dollar locked up to a number of players including Dion.

With players having term, I wonder whether the tendency will be to "get rid of at all costs" compared to "wait, be patient, and let's see if the right offer comes along"

Probably imperative the team goes the latter

I agree this won't be easy, don't be shocked if you have many posters in here whining that Kessel and Dion haven't been dealt at the deadline, then again many don't know how the real world operates. This rebuild is going to take years, not months to complete!

I look at it this way- Its like an apple and trying to get to the seed in the middle to remove it, you can just take a knife in and stab it out. Instead you have to start peeling back the layers bit by bit, strip it down to get to the seed and then remove it completely.

Its the same with the Leafs, we aren't even getting close to touching the core of this team by removing them this season! Right now its the top layer that will go, guys like Franson/Winnik/Santo/Booth at the deadline for picks and to clear up roster spots. In the offseason then is the time they begin attempting to get deals n place for the bigger named guys, and even then I'm not so sure both Dion and Kessel go, maybe its just one and if so im OK with that.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Both Dion and Kessel are gone .....now it is only a mater of time....

How anyone can post that one may stay must not have a good grasp on how things work in a rebuild....you purge the bad over paid players....with young cheap players.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Both Dion and Kessel are gone .....now it is only a mater of time....

How anyone can post that one may stay must not have a good grasp on how things work in a rebuild....you purge the bad over paid players....with young cheap players.

How anyone can post that they "are gone", doesn't understand how trading in the NHL works.

Takes 2 to tango, as well as cap space, and a return that you like

With both Kessel and Dion locked up, and the team still losing with them on board, there's no urgency to move them until you get the right deal.

Even if that right deal doesn't come for several months.

No urgency, especially if your priority is to recoup assets. If you just want a camp dump, they could be gone tomorrow

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
How anyone can post that they "are gone", doesn't understand how trading in the NHL works.

Takes 2 to tango, as well as cap space, and a return that you like

With both Kessel and Dion locked up, and the team still losing with them on board, there's no urgency to move them until you get the right deal.

Even if that right deal doesn't come for several months.

No urgency, especially if your priority is to recoup assets. If you just want a camp dump, they could be gone tomorrow

Read what I posted.....I said they are both gone! I never said tomorrow now did I. Reading before posting is a minimum expectation I would think!

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Phaneuf ( as well as Kessel) will be traded during the offseason and the return will be solid. While some may think otherwise, Phaneuf's situation was much like J-Bo but with higher production ( over 3 years) and stronger goal differentials as well.

I doubt we'll see a poor return like Calgary because J-Bo's $6.5 million deal at that time looked ridiculous. Moreover, I expect Dion's numbers to rebound much like Beauchemin. It'll be significant and potential trading partners know this.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Phaneuf ( as well as Kessel) will be traded during the offseason and the return will be solid. While some may think otherwise, Phaneuf's situation was much like J-Bo but with higher production ( over 3 years) and stronger goal differentials as well.

I doubt we'll see a poor return like Calgary because J-Bo's $6.5 million deal at that time looked ridiculous. Moreover, I expect Dion's numbers to rebound much like Beauchemin. It'll be significant and potential trading partners know this.

Do you have production numbers handy?

I find it hard to believe Dion out-produced him.

Also - J-Bo is, and was at that point, a top pairing blue liner.

Think we've beaten the dead horse on what Dion is and isn't.

Wish I shared your optimism.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Read what I posted.....I said they are both gone! I never said tomorrow now did I. Reading before posting is a minimum expectation I would think!

I know what you said.

And I'm saying not-so-fast.

I don't think this is exactly going to be "scorched earth" move everyone ASAP as opposed to waiting for the right deals - which could take forever.

Just cautioning patience

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Do you have production numbers handy?

I find it hard to believe Dion out-produced him.

Also - J-Bo is, and was at that point, a top pairing blue liner.

Think we've beaten the dead horse on what Dion is and isn't.

Wish I shared your optimism.
Last three seasons:

Phaneuf
2012-2013: 48 9 19 28 -4
2013-2014: 80 8 23 31 4
2014-2015: 48 2 20 22 -3

J-Bo prior to trade:

2010-2011: 82 4 20 24 -2
2011-2012: 82 5 24 29 -21
2012-2013: 33 6 9 15 -11

He out-produced him. Keep in mind that at the time of J-Bo's trade, Phaneuf was clearly outproducing (0.58PPG vs 0.45). The differences may seem minor, but defenceman don't tend to produce particularly high PPG numbers. Moreover, he had a $6.5 million price tag and the following discount contract is very likely to ever occur.

One other thing we need to remember is that while J-Bo is a top pairing defenceman, he isn't really a prototypical shut down type. His game relies a lot more on skating much like Jake Gardiner. In fact, I actually vividly remember Mike Peca pointing out that his shut down ability was overstated.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Last three seasons:

Phaneuf
2012-2013: 48 9 19 28 -4
2013-2014: 80 8 23 31 4
2014-2015: 48 2 20 22 -3

J-Bo prior to trade:

2010-2011: 82 4 20 24 -2
2011-2012: 82 5 24 29 -21
2012-2013: 33 6 9 15 -11

He out-produced him. Keep in mind that at the time of J-Bo's trade, Phaneuf was clearly outproducing (0.58PPG vs 0.45). The differences may seem minor, but defenceman don't tend to produce particularly high PPG numbers. Moreover, he had a $6.5 million price tag and the following discount contract is very likely to ever occur.

One other thing we need to remember is that while J-Bo is a top pairing defenceman, he isn't really a prototypical shut down type. His game relies a lot more on skating much like Jake Gardiner. In fact, I actually vividly remember Mike Peca pointing out that his shut down ability was overstated.

Thanks for the numbers. Admittedly very surprised by that.

Still have a hard time sharing your optimism that Dion brings back a meaningful return, but I'm sure hoping you are right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad