Rumor: Dhaliwal- Tanev's preference was to get traded to Van at the Deadline. Van had a better offer than Dallas but Calgary rejected it

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Calgary Isn't run very well.

They didn't take the best deal for Zadorov, you can't convince me they couldn't have gotten more with retention.

They didn't take the best deal for Tanev.

They botched the Markstrom trade.

They got a decent return for Lindholm

But they also gifted Montreal a 1st to take Monahan.

They aren't good
They took a fine deal for Zadorov, they desperately needed some cap space after that idiot Treliving left the team in complete shambles unable to even call up prospects when they wanted. Keeping that retention slot open had a lot of value and leverage since they had to trade 3 players and were negotiating a trade for a 4th player.

They took the deal they liked best for Tanev and by all accounts it was likely be far the better deal.

They didn't need to trade Markstrom, you don't trade a top goalie unless the deal makes sense.

The Monahan situation was ridiculous ...... hmmm, what idiot was the GM again?

Enjoy Treliving, he'll have you on the right path soon.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
Nil: We'll give you our late second round pick.

Allvin: We'll give you our late first round pick!

Conroy, after recalling Chucko, Pelech, Irving, Nemisz, Erixon, Jankowski, Poirier and Klimchuk: We'll take the second please.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
i think the flames just really like grushnikov. he's raw but he's a really intriguing prospect
I've seen him in 5 games (2 w/ Texas, 3 w/ Calgary) now and I really like him. He's a lot like Tanev but looks to have more of a physical streak, he's not afraid to throw the body). He seems to be engaging more offensively now too.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
I just hope Dubas doesn’t have this same mindset. Sid deserves another chance at the Cup and the Caps are the perfect situation for him

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Not really that much of a surprise. The better offer was unlikely to be significantly better, and trading a good player to a division rival should be a last resort without a significant upside.
why? if Tanev wants to go to Van he can do that in a few months, Calgary helps Van keep assets and gives them the option to sign him as a UFA, then Tanev is a Canucks... so by taking a weaker offer to keep him off the Canucks for a few months is kinda lame and doesn't solve anything for the Flames...

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Why leak this as a player? It seems like Tanev is whining about it. It also seems like the reporter is being a little tattletale.

The Flames don’t owe Tanev anything. Who cares that he wanted to go to Vancouver. If a team doesn’t want to trade him there then that’s just too damn bad

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Why leak this as a player? It seems like Tanev is whining about it. It also seems like the reporter is being a little tattletale.

The Flames don’t owe Tanev anything. Who cares that he wanted to go to Vancouver. If a team doesn’t want to trade him there then that’s just too damn bad
I highly doubt that Tanev or his agent said any such thing, like you asked, why would they? This is just a guy guessing and speculating in an interview.

Reactions: nucks88

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I just hope Dubas doesn’t have this same mindset. Sid deserves another chance at the Cup and the Caps are the perfect situation for him
Wouldn't the Avs, Knights, Panthers or Bruins be a lot better situation for him to get another cup?
Seems like the Caps would be one of the worst fits.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018

If it's legitimate, then either it's the team trying to let Tanev know that they're going to make a serious bid for him in FA, or it's Tanev's representation leaking to the team to not spend all their cap space because he wants to play in Vancouver.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They took a fine deal for Zadorov, they desperately needed some cap space after that idiot Treliving left the team in complete shambles unable to even call up prospects when they wanted. Keeping that retention slot open had a lot of value and leverage since they had to trade 3 players and were negotiating a trade for a 4th player.

They took the deal they liked best for Tanev and by all accounts it was likely be far the better deal.

They didn't need to trade Markstrom, you don't trade a top goalie unless the deal makes sense.

The Monahan situation was ridiculous ...... hmmm, what idiot was the GM again?

Enjoy Treliving, he'll have you on the right path soon.

Honestly I have no complaints about him so far, I mean the worst thing I can say is maybe he gave Reaves 1 more year than he should have, but chances are that contract is going to be able to be 100% buried starting next ye if need be.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Better offer? Seems subjective. We know they weren't offering their 2025 1st, because Calgary asked for that during the Lindholm trade negotiations and Vancouver declined. They weren't going to Lekkerimaki, Willander, or Hoglander. So that pretty much leaves Raty, Podkolzin Pettersson 2.0, and their 2025 2nd. I don't think any combination of 2 of those pieces is clearly better than what Calgary got
All three of them are better and if we're offered Tanev would be a nuck and I for one am glad none of them were traded

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Wow can't believe Calgary would delay re-uniting a father with his kids. Despicable behaviour.
Uh, they could just move. Children moving for their parents' job happens all the time.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
That’s hilarious

Calgary traded him to Dallas because they think Tanev has a better chance with Dallas?

That’s probably lowest on Conroy’s priorities
Doesn't take much to get a guffaw out of you now does it. Tanev expressed his desire to go to a team with a chance to win.

Arguably both teams have a chance, but I suspect Dallas has the greater chance. That and the fact that they are not in Calgary's conference, and the fact that Calgary did two deals with Vancouver, and the fact that Calgary felt the Dallas offer was superior, pretty much sealed the deal as they say.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
If Conroy considered his feelings for going to a cup contender and the Canucks had a roughly equal offer, there's no reason that he would trade him to the Stars over the Canucks if he was taking Tanev's input into consideration and it's true he wants to go back to Vancouver.

Logically, the only options are that they prefer the prospect to a late 1st or Conroy was told to stop trading with Vancouver.
I don't think the Canucks had roughly the same offer. After the very good return on Lindholm, perhaps the feeling was there wasn't much left in Vancouver's larder compared to elsewhere.

Sorry, but it is fantasy to assume that Conroy was told to stop trading with Vancouver.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary Isn't run very well.

They didn't take the best deal for Zadorov, you can't convince me they couldn't have gotten more with retention.

They didn't take the best deal for Tanev.

They botched the Markstrom trade.

They got a decent return for Lindholm

But they also gifted Montreal a 1st to take Monahan.

They aren't good
Well the genius that gifted Montreal Monahan is running your team now

Good luck lmfao
Doesn't take much to get a guffaw out of you now does it. Tanev expressed his desire to go to a team with a chance to win.

Arguably both teams have a chance, but I suspect Dallas has the greater chance. That and the fact that they are not in Calgary's conference, and the fact that Calgary did two deals with Vancouver, and the fact that Calgary felt the Dallas offer was superior, pretty much sealed the deal as they say.
they made the deal with Dallas because it’s a better deal for them in their opinion

Nothing else. They trade him to a playoff team. They don’t give a crap who is better for Tanev.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Everyone and their mother knows that Tanev ends up in Vancouver this summer.

The Canucks media is kicking up a fuss over nothing. Aatu Raty sucks anyway

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well the genius that gifted Montreal Monahan is running your team now

Good luck lmfao

they made the deal with Dallas because it’s a better deal for them in their opinion

Nothing else. They trade him to a playoff team. They don’t give a crap who is better for Tanev.

And that was a terrible decision but like I said, at this point I have no issue with him, right now the worst thing I can say is maybe Reaves contract should be 2 years instead of 3, and even then they can bury 85% of it now, the cap is going up nearly 5 million so that contract will probably be completely buriable next season if need be.

If the worst thing I can say about a GM is that a contract he signed should have been 2 years instead of 3 I'm OK with that.

Ledge And Dairy

All three of them are better and if we're offered Tanev would be a nuck and I for one am glad none of them were traded
Lol that's your opinion. Marek was very clear when he said Calgary valued Grushnikov higher than a late 1st in this years draft. I think there is an argument to be made for Raty and Pettersson but I don't think either are clearly better. Podkolzin is a bust, saying he is better than Grushnikov is troll

Reactions: Nanuuk

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Lol that's your opinion. Marek was very clear when he said Calgary valued Grushnikov higher than a late 1st in this years draft. I think there is an argument to be made for Raty and Pettersson but I don't think either are clearly better. Podkolzin is a bust, saying he is better than Grushnikov is troll
Your opinion is garbage. Podkolzin is back in the NHL and playing well. Shows how little you know.

Reactions: gianni

Ledge And Dairy

Your opinion is garbage. Podkolzin is back in the NHL and playing well. Shows how little you know.
He's playing 4th line and averages 10 minutes a night. Good for him if he carves out a career as a 4th line winger at this point. I'll take the chance on Grushnikov though. Again it's been reported that Calgary values him as more than a late 1st in this draft, I doubt anyone would trade a late 1st for Podkolzin at this point in time

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3