Rumor: Dhaliwal- Tanev's preference was to get traded to Van at the Deadline. Van had a better offer than Dallas but Calgary rejected it

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
No it wasnt, the conversation from Dhaliwal and other "insiders" was the Canucks didnt want to move any their top prospects (Lekky Hoglander, Willander, D-Petterssson) and that their offer was based on the draft pick being better...so their offer likely was a 2025 1st or 2x 2nd round picks.
I don't buy that for a second unless a cap dump was attached to the first. And 2x 2nd is extremely comparable to what the Flames got as Grushnikov was a recent 2nd rounder and is further in his development than anyone they'd daft in 2025 in the 2nd round

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I don't buy that for a second unless a cap dump was attached to the first. And 2x 2nd is extremely comparable to what the Flames got as Grushnikov was a recent 2nd rounder and is further in his development than anyone they'd daft in 2025 in the 2nd round

I agree, 2x2nd is basically what Calgary already got, so for the Canucks to think they had a better offer then clearly the draft pick was better which would have made it the 1st round 2025. They were not interested in moving any more prospects.

and who cares if a cap dump is attached, if you can get a 1st for Tanev you take it. The worst Cap dump the Canucks would have had is Mikhayev which would have been a very flippable asset.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Conroy did. If he was worried about trading with the Canucks why'd he balk after trading Zadorov and Lindholm to the Canucks.
He traded Zadorov to Van because they were the only team that didn't require retention.

There was rumours that CGY ownership wasn't thrilled at them both going to Van though, so makes sense he looked elsewhere if the two options were in the same ballpark.

Nothing makes an ownership/management group look more inept to their fans than one of their biggest rivals going on a big post-season run, so I get it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Conroy already proved he doesn't take less value for rivalry reasons. He traded Lindholm to Vancouver, who is a much bigger deal than Tanev

Vancouver felt their deal was better? That reeks of a matter of opinion. Maybe a first loaded with conditions or something like that

Bond

May 10, 2012
He traded Zadorov to Van because they were the only team that didn't require retention.

There was rumours that CGY ownership wasn't thrilled at them both going to Van though, so makes sense he looked elsewhere if the two options were in the same ballpark.

Nothing makes an ownership/management group look more inept to their fans than one of their biggest rivals going on a big post-season run, so I get it.
Yeah, but he could have kept Zadorov till the deadline. This is just Van media lighting the torch for Tanev to come back.

Conroy already proved he doesn't take less value for rivalry reasons. He traded Lindholm to Vancouver, who is a much bigger deal than Tanev

Vancouver felt their deal was better? That reeks of a matter of opinion. Maybe a first loaded with conditions or something like that
My guess is that they had a similar prospect to Grushnikov in the deal that thought was better.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The rumour is that the offer was a 2nd + Aatu Raty or something around that. It was also meant to be included in the original Lindholm deal but Calgary wanted to hold out for a 1st

I feel that it is a stronger package than they got from Dallas. Raty is a better prospect and the conditional pick is not a 1st

Reactions: Fig

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Maybe Calgary thought highly of Grushnikov? Don't know what Vancouver offered but I felt what they got from Dallas was a mediocre return.

Reactions: Szechwan

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
If I had to go conspiracy brain, I think this leak was not about the offer. It's to signal to Tanev that they will pursue him in free agency and for him to hold off signing an extension in Dallas. Of course, due to poaching rules, they can't directly make a statement or talk to Tanev's agent yet. However, they can leak that they are interested.

My guess is that the Canucks are using Dhaliwal as a way to push the front office's message. They've already leaked to the media they are willing to sign him in the offseason. I'd expect more leaks to come out about how they REALLY wanted Tanev and are SUPER bummed about missing out on him.
those of us in Vancouver just assumes when something leaks from Dhaliwal, its on the agent's end, he's close to many agents over many years and I've personally seen him dine with such.

If I have to put on my GM's hat, I would not want to rehash a trade that already happened with calgary simply because they already made in roads with 2 trades and have a good relationship with Calgary. By leaking this, the only way to interpret this directly is that Calgary is making unsound decisions based on emotions. What will it actually accomplish? everyone already know Vancouver was on Tanev like a dog on a bone. If its not a casual mention from D&D to drive clicks, I would assume the agent wants to remind Dallas that they need to overpay to make Tanev change his mind.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Maybe Calgary thought highly of Grushnikov? Don't know what Vancouver offered but I felt what they got from Dallas was a mediocre return.
It was indicated that they valued Grushnikov as a 1st, which is absurd to me.

GMs will always hype their own assets though. Look at Allvin last year, he said to the media that he felt he got three 1sts for Horvat from the Islanders with their 1st, Raty, and Beauvillier (lmao)

Reactions: Fig

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Conroy wasn't left in a very good situation. Soo far his decisions as GM have been ok but he doesn't have full control over the roster vs ownership. That's a bad sign. Flames will spin tires re-tooling and remain an after thought.

Bond

May 10, 2012

GMs will always hype their own assets though. Look at Allvin last year, he said to the media that he felt he got three 1sts for Horvat from the Islanders with their 1st, Raty, and Beauvillier (lmao)
Flames scouts must not like Raty if they valued Grushnikov over Raty.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Not saying you're wrong, just I don't recall seeing that at all.

Flames said they liked Grushnikov and had him on their short list for that draft, but didn't get him.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
I definitely think what happened is that the Flames valued Grushnikov over Van's 1st round pick.

I'm almost certain Van didnt want to trade any more prospects and was only offering draft picks.

Van needs whats left of their prospect pool to make the team soon as their stars get paid, the likes of Podkolzin, Bains, Raty etc are all key pieces cap wise. Canucks will likely have to walk away from upcoming free agents who are going to get a raise like Joshua, Bleuger, LAfferty etc. Thats why they need to youngsters. Apparently they didnt even want to add prospects for Guentzel.

Vancouver was dangling their 1st 2025 for Tanev, im certain of it, clearly why as well they thought their offer was better than Dallas.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hughes Tanev
Soucy Hronek
Zadorov Juulsen

You dont sign Hughes dad and not play them together or keep Cole over Zadorov
Hughes reached MVP-level playing with a partner who can play off of him and elevate the plays he can make. We all love Tanev, but pairing Quinn with a defensive guy just limits what he can do.

Zadorov is gonna cost way too much for a guy you need have in a #5 role on a contending blueline.

Wait, what about Tyler Myers? Don't you guys plan to resign him?
He will likely be back. I would prefer to move on.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Why the hell would Calgary even care if Vancouver got better? They're not going to be competitive anyways. Why not drain more assets from your rival for an aging player? GMs are so stupid lol...

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
This mentality of not trading a player to a division rival is so idiotic on many levels and is a red flag for any management team that believes in it.

First of all, why don’t the Canucks have the mentality of “We’re not gonna trade draft picks to a division rival!” How is it any different than the selling team saying that about their player? And we’re talking about the Flames here. They’re not making the playoffs. Why would they care about if the Canucks or the Stars get better this year? It has nothing to do with them. And finally, this specific scenario is especially idiotic since they already traded Zadorov and Lindholm to the Canucks.

It makes sense if the two teams are competing around the same standings, which Calgary and Vancouver aren't.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
That seems to be the piece doing the heavy lifting. I've heard GM's say they felt they had a better offer for things before and yet that seems like a way to grease the skids about why they didn't get the deal done was because of them, there, those guys, not us! It screams of "we tried!"

"It's not me, it's you"?

I definitely think what happened is that the Flames valued Grushnikov over Van's 1st round pick.

I'm almost certain Van didnt want to trade any more prospects and was only offering draft picks.

Van needs whats left of their prospect pool to make the team soon as their stars get paid, the likes of Podkolzin, Bains, Raty etc are all key pieces cap wise. Canucks will likely have to walk away from upcoming free agents who are going to get a raise like Joshua, Bleuger, LAfferty etc. Thats why they need to youngsters. Apparently they didnt even want to add prospects for Guentzel.

Vancouver was dangling their 1st 2025 for Tanev, im certain of it, clearly why as well they thought their offer was better than Dallas.

I don't think it was the 1st in 2025 straight up to beat the Dallas deal. Rumors were that the Lindholm deal was supposed to add that 2025 1st and add Tanev but Vancouver balked. It would have to involve a ton of backpedaling and some asset Calgary didn't want for a deal to fall through like that.

Flames got basically two seconds in the Dallas deal and the rumors were that both teams sorta felt Gru's stock had increased to the point of being a borderline late 1st rounder.

Reactions: Chainshot

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Tanev wanting to be a Canuck is one of the worst kept secrets in the NHL

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I think it's more he loves playing in Western Canada, it was rumored at the time of the signings that is why both he and Markstrom chose Calgary.
Neither wanted to leave Vancouver, so it makes sense they stay somewhere close

Reactions: thefutures

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
"-The Stars are going to try their hardest to re-sign him, but if he resigns in Dallas, it will have to be at a very good number for Tanev and the Stars will have to overpay"

That's funny.

Pretty sure Vancouver would have to overpay for Tanev to net the same there as he would in Texas.

Pesky taxes.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad