Rumor: Dhaliwal- Tanev's preference was to get traded to Van at the Deadline. Van had a better offer than Dallas but Calgary rejected it

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That seems to be the piece doing the heavy lifting. I've heard GM's say they felt they had a better offer for things before and yet that seems like a way to grease the skids about why they didn't get the deal done was because of them, there, those guys, not us! It screams of "we tried!"
Yup, exactly. It’s easy to say “we had the best offer” because you don’t have to prove it at all.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
That seems to be the piece doing the heavy lifting. I've heard GM's say they felt they had a better offer for things before and yet that seems like a way to grease the skids about why they didn't get the deal done was because of them, there, those guys, not us! It screams of "we tried!"
Yeah, this seems like a calculated leak by the front office, makes them look good to the fanbase and basically lets Tanev know "hey, we tried to acquire you and want to sign you this summer".

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Cole looks cooked!

Big Z looks soo good lately, but he is going to cost a lot to keep.
They over-used and over-leveraged him throughout much of the season. He should have been a rotation/"maintenance" candidate.

But he has good defensive instincts and will come back cheap and short-term, likely a similar deal as his current one. In more prescribed, limited role, I think he would be quite effective.

Reactions: Regal

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Hughes Tanev
Soucy Hronek
Zadorov Juulsen

You dont sign Hughes dad and not play them together or keep Cole over Zadorov

Hughes had to move in with his older brother when dad left for smokes.

CPS may not give dad full time custody.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Well the Canucks already dealt their 2024 1st and 2nd round picks ... so a "better" offer would involve picks from 2025 and beyond. Or they went the prospect route.

Reactions: Chainshot

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
“Vancouver felt that they had a better offer” is doing a lot of work here. Just because the Canucks felt that was true doesn’t mean Calgary did.
If I had to go conspiracy brain, I think this leak was not about the offer. It's to signal to Tanev that they will pursue him in free agency and for him to hold off signing an extension in Dallas. Of course, due to poaching rules, they can't directly make a statement or talk to Tanev's agent yet. However, they can leak that they are interested.

My guess is that the Canucks are using Dhaliwal as a way to push the front office's message. They've already leaked to the media they are willing to sign him in the offseason. I'd expect more leaks to come out about how they REALLY wanted Tanev and are SUPER bummed about missing out on him.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Surprised the Stars will have to "overpay" - I get he wants to go back to Vancouver but in Dallas he'd save some coin with no state income tax. Not to mention they're just as good of a team as Vancouver IMO.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Surprised the Stars will have to "overpay" - I get he wants to go back to Vancouver but in Dallas he'd save some coin with no state income tax. Not to mention they're just as good of a team as Vancouver IMO.

Difference is he has a house in Vancouver already, he also lived there for ten years.

If your favourite team and random team X were equally close to winning the cup, wouldn't you want to do it with your favourite team? With the core of young players who grew up living with you and calling you dad?

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Wait, what about Tyler Myers? Don't you guys plan to resign him?

Depends on the contract. If Columbus gave Gudbranson 4x4, someone will give Myers 5m per. Would he take 2m a year to stay in Van?

Bond

May 10, 2012
I think if it was a 25 1st then Tanev would have been on the Canucks in the Lindholm trade. My guess is that it was a second and a prospect they think is better than Grushnikov

Reactions: Kaizen

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Dhaliwal is very well connected with Tanev and his agent, this is what Dhaliwal said in an interview this morning.

- Tanev loves Vancouver, still very close friends with players on the roster and people in organization
- The #1 place Tanev wanted to get traded to was Vancouver
-Canucks felt they had a better offer than Dallas for Tanev
-The Stars are going to try their hardest to re-sign him, but if he resigns in Dallas, it will have to be at a very good number for Tanev and the Stars will have to overpay

Editorialized title much? Canucks feeling like they made a better offer, doesn't make it a better offer.

Rumor was a 2nd in 2025 and a prospect. It all comes down to wanting that 2nd this year or next, and what prospect you prefer, in all likelihood they were comparable prospects and looking at the Canucks prospect list, it probably came down to what defenseman Conroy liked better.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Ummm...

Tanev's mid 30s and Calgary ain't contending in that time frame, so why the f*** would you not trade him to VAN if their offer was better?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Editorialized title much? Canucks feeling like they made a better offer, doesn't make it a better offer.

Rumor was a 2nd in 2025 and a prospect. It all comes down to wanting that 2nd this year or next, and what prospect you prefer, in all likelihood they were comparable prospects and looking at the Canucks prospect list, it probably came down to what defenseman Conroy liked better.

No it wasnt, the conversation from Dhaliwal and other "insiders" was the Canucks didnt want to move any their top prospects (Lekky Hoglander, Willander, D-Petterssson) and that their offer was based on the draft pick being better...so their offer likely was a 2025 1st or 2x 2nd round picks.

So maybe in Conroys eyes, a 2nd and a prospect he likes is better than the Canucks 2025 1st, if they are good again next year then its a late-ish 1st round pick. They must really like that prospect they got but the Canucks felt their offer was better because the draft pick was higher than what Dallas paid.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Ummm...

Tanev's mid 30s and Calgary ain't contending in that time frame, so why the f*** would you not trade him to VAN if their offer was better?
Conroy did. If he was worried about trading with the Canucks why'd he balk after trading Zadorov and Lindholm to the Canucks.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yup, exactly. It’s easy to say “we had the best offer” because you don’t have to prove it at all.

Having rooted for a team that is constantly massaging fan reaction with how much they were in on acquisitions, it's a ploy. There is no proof, just the opinion of the person leaking it and the reason behind putting it out into the public view is almost always regarding persuasion. In this case, persuading Tanev's camp that they are serious about wanting him AND doing a little massaging of any bruises among fans who didn't like that they couldn't get the deal done.

Ummm...

Easy - Because Calgary didn't think the offer was better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad