Rumor: Dhaliwal- Tanev's preference was to get traded to Van at the Deadline. Van had a better offer than Dallas but Calgary rejected it

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This mentality of not trading a player to a division rival is so idiotic on many levels and is a red flag for any management team that believes in it.

First of all, why don’t the Canucks have the mentality of “We’re not gonna trade draft picks to a division rival!” How is it any different than the selling team saying that about their player? And we’re talking about the Flames here. They’re not making the playoffs. Why would they care about if the Canucks or the Stars get better this year? It has nothing to do with them. And finally, this specific scenario is especially idiotic since they already traded Zadorov and Lindholm to the Canucks.
The mentality that people think Calgary turned down an offer THEY thought was better is idiotic.

Teams are biased toward their own players and prospects, so of course Vancouver would think their offer was better, but it doesn't mean Calgary thought that way.

Reactions: Voight

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
"-The Stars are going to try their hardest to re-sign him, but if he resigns in Dallas, it will have to be at a very good number for Tanev and the Stars will have to overpay"

That's funny.

Pretty sure Vancouver would have to overpay for Tanev to net the same there as he would in Texas.

Pesky taxes.

You're assuming the overpayment is based on wanting a net income. I think the overpayment is because that's what it would take for him to not see the open market.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Do we know the offer, or is this just a PR statement via the media?

Vancouver thinking they had a better offer is pretty meaningless. Of course they would say that.

Reactions: MisterT

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Do we know the offer, or is this just a PR statement via the media?

The implication was that the Vancouver picks were higher, but Conroy has said he valued the prospect at more than a late 1st, indicating the Canucks may have offered their 2025 1st.

Reactions: 3074326

Apr 9, 2009
USA
The implication was that the Vancouver picks were higher, but Conroy has said he valued the prospect at more than a late 1st, indicating the Canucks may have offered their 2025 1st.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I agree, 2x2nd is basically what Calgary already got, so for the Canucks to think they had a better offer then clearly the draft pick was better which would have made it the 1st round 2025. They were not interested in moving any more prospects.

and who cares if a cap dump is attached, if you can get a 1st for Tanev you take it. The worst Cap dump the Canucks would have had is Mikhayev which would have been a very flippable asset.

According to LeBrun, they were offered a 1st and rejected it because it came with a cap dump - either Ceci or Johansen.

But both of those were 2024 1st and folks keep ignoring that there's supposedly a significant talent drop once you get into the twenties. Which is why the Flames went with the 2nd + prospect they liked. And I highly doubt the Canucks offered their 2025 1st; there's nothing to suggest otherwise.

The rumour is that the offer was a 2nd + Aatu Raty or something around that. It was also meant to be included in the original Lindholm deal but Calgary wanted to hold out for a 1st

I feel that it is a stronger package than they got from Dallas. Raty is a better prospect and the conditional pick is not a 1st

Raty doesn't seem like a strong prospect in any way at the moment but it's all subjective. If it's true the Canucks offered a 2nd + Raty, then clearly the Flames liked Grushnikov more

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
According to LeBrun, they were offered a 1st and rejected it because it came with a cap dump - either Ceci or Johansen.

But both of those were 2024 1st and folks keep ignoring that there's supposedly a significant talent drop once you get into the twenties. Which is why the Flames went with the 2nd + prospect they liked. And I highly doubt the Canucks offered their 2025 1st; there's nothing to suggest otherwise.

Raty doesn't seem like a strong prospect in any way at the moment but it's all subjective. If it's true the Canucks offered a 2nd + Raty, then clearly the Flames liked Grushnikov more
I would personally take Grush over Raty

Ledge And Dairy

Better offer? Seems subjective. We know they weren't offering their 2025 1st, because Calgary asked for that during the Lindholm trade negotiations and Vancouver declined. They weren't going to Lekkerimaki, Willander, or Hoglander. So that pretty much leaves Raty, Podkolzin Pettersson 2.0, and their 2025 2nd. I don't think any combination of 2 of those pieces is clearly better than what Calgary got

Reactions: Nanuuk

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
At probably 4.5M+ and 5+ years of term, are you really going to choose to keep Zadorov?

Id personally keep him at 4.5. He brings a phsyical element and fear that the Canucks havent had in a while.

Forward are almost afraid to carry the puck into the ozone when Z is our there. I've never seen so much dump ins.

If all things are equal, id keep Z over Meyers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I get the feeling that the Flames really liked the prospect they got from Dallas

I get the feeling Tanev has not fit in that well in Dallas so far and this is some back channeling to say he could go to the Canucks in the summer. If things in Dallas were meeting expectations, good fit, and likely to stay there’s no way Canucks media would have gotten a sniff of the player’s feelings towards Vancouver and Western Canada. Vancouver Canucks adding commentary about the strength of their offer yada yada.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
What hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that Tanev indicated that he wanted to go to a Cup contender and that Conroy wanted to do the best he could for a loyal soldier.

It may have come down to, in Calgary's estimation, that Dallas has a better chance at going to the finals vis a vis Vancouver.

That, combined with a superior offer (in Calgary's view), may have turned the tide.

I also think fans place too much emphasis that Tanev wants to come 'home'. Well, he has enjoyed his time in Calgary and is, by all reports, best buds with Jacob Markstrom.

I would not be surprised to see him re-sign here if Calgary's re-tool looks better now that some of the dust has settled.

Ledge And Dairy

Id personally keep him at 4.5. He brings a phsyical element and fear that the Canucks havent had in a while.

Forward are almost afraid to carry the puck into the ozone when Z is our there. I've never seen so much dump ins.

If all things are equal, id keep Z over Meyers.
I mean keeping Z over Myers is a given. It's more about with Hughes and Soucy as your 2 top 4 LD do you want to pay big Z what he wants because it will take away from the money you can spend on forward

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I get the feeling Tanev has not fit in that well in Dallas so far and this is some back channeling to say he could go to the Canucks in the summer. If things in Dallas were meeting expectations, good fit, and likely to stay there’s no way Canucks media would have gotten a sniff of the player’s feelings towards Vancouver and Western Canada. Vancouver Canucks adding commentary about the strength of their offer yada yada.

He's been here for like 2 weeks, 7 games. Bold assumption that things aren't going well for him and that theyre basing it off 2 weeks of being around the team..he's been great for the Stars

Reactions: Zapp and Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
He's been here for like 2 weeks, 7 games. Bold assumption that things aren't going well for him and that theyre basing it off 2 weeks of being around the team..he's been great for the Stars
7GP, 18:05 ATOI, 2 points, plus 3, 6 PIM, 8 blocks, 6 hits, 1 takeaway, 1 giveaway.

He's just warming up.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
What hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that Tanev indicated that he wanted to go to a Cup contender and that Conroy wanted to do the best he could for a loyal soldier.

It may have come down to, in Calgary's estimation, that Dallas has a better chance at going to the finals vis a vis Vancouver.

That, combined with a superior offer (in Calgary's view), may have turned the tide.

I also think fans place too much emphasis that Tanev wants to come 'home'. Well, he has enjoyed his time in Calgary and is, by all reports, best buds with Jacob Markstrom.

I would not be surprised to see him re-sign here if Calgary's re-tool looks better now that some of the dust has settled.

If Conroy considered his feelings for going to a cup contender and the Canucks had a roughly equal offer, there's no reason that he would trade him to the Stars over the Canucks if he was taking Tanev's input into consideration and it's true he wants to go back to Vancouver.

Logically, the only options are that they prefer the prospect to a late 1st or Conroy was told to stop trading with Vancouver.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

He's a rental and there's random stuff leaking about another suitor which happens to be his ex-team...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Not really that much of a surprise. The better offer was unlikely to be significantly better, and trading a good player to a division rival should be a last resort without a significant upside.
They gave them zadorov for nothing

Also traded them Lindholm

Show me this ‘better’ offer then I believe it

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Vancouver thought they had the better offer on the table, Calgary disagreed. Whatever Calgary was asking for to beat the Dallas deal Vancouver said no to. Its that simple.

Reactions: lawrence

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

That’s hilarious

Calgary traded him to Dallas because they think Tanev has a better chance with Dallas?

That’s probably lowest on Conroy’s priorities

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
There were talks in Van post trade deadline that the offer for Tanev was the 2025 1st round pick and Tanev immediately extends

Also "Team Tanev" can very well be using Dhaliwal to get the price up from Dallas. Canucks have to worry about re-signing Hronek first before entertaining Tanev as a UFA
This has been reported in zero places and the “talk” you’re referring to is coming from your own mouth.

Why do you play faux insider bro

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Calgary Isn't run very well.

They didn't take the best deal for Zadorov, you can't convince me they couldn't have gotten more with retention.

They didn't take the best deal for Tanev.

They botched the Markstrom trade.

They got a decent return for Lindholm

But they also gifted Montreal a 1st to take Monahan.

They aren't good

• Haha
Reactions: Bounces R Way

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Grushnikov + 2024 2nd + Cond 3rd 2026 > 2025 Late 1st.
This.

People keep saying they turned down a 1st for a 2nd and a prospect. For all we know that 1st may have had conditions or a cap dump and it would be a late 1st. Flames got a 2nd, the conditional 3rd can become another 2nd and a prospect that they value as being worth at least another 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad