Rumor: Dhaliwal: Canucks Big Game Hunting, Canucks trading 9th Overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
NYR - 9th overall

Canucks - Josh Manson 50% retained, 34th overall

Ducks - Pavel Buchnevich
I mean, at least it plays to Vancouver's needs (i.e. big RD at affordable salary). However, for the main peace for 9OV we would probably want someone younger and better/higher upside than Manson. I think if it was a pick in the late teens early 20s instead of 34 OV it might work.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
The Canucks have like ZERO cap space. is that so hard to understand?
And no, it isn't easy at all to get rid of dead contracts and Benning is cheap as **** and practically never buys anyone out....

That is really not the case at all. We have 15 mil, and 3.5 from Ferlands LTIR as it stands right now. Virtanen is likely to be bought out, as there is little cost. You are at $20 mil before you look at potentially moving Holtby, or Schmidt. It's tight for sure, but to so they have no space and no ability to make moves isn't true at all.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Benning big game hunting...what could possibly go wrong?

Hold me fellow Canuck fans :(

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
What is Vancouver cleared Eriksson, Holtby to Buffalo and picked up Jokiharju. What would come with them?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
you say that like it's a bad thing.
I know you hate Benning and because this stupid site refreshes before you can finish long posts all I will say is we have been re-building since 2017, you guys can argue that but it's pretty obvious until the twins retired that wasn't an option. He has set this team up next season with 40+ million in cap with the entire core signed basically. The team will have 4-5 ELC contracts this season with a bunch more over the next 3-4 seasons. This team can easily absorb 15 million in contracts by moving money that was going to open up next season. Haters always point to Sakic who lets be honest had a lot more to work with yet hasn't gone any further in the playoffs, has failed to capitalize on the enormous cap space he had, has done zip after the mid-first round of the draft and now may lose his captain. Look who the guy inherited and the multiple top 4 picks along with real assets to move and yet he gets love, Benning loss Toffoli because of a flat cap and banners are literally flown over the city.
1. I didn't say anything like it was a bad thing. I stated that given the make up of this team a player like Fiala would be on our second line, and I wouldn't want to pay the $7 per apparent ask by Fiala for a 2nd line winger.
2. I don't care how long the "official" rebuild has been happening in Vancouver. Since 2014 we have the 27th ranked points earned as a team with a .494 win %, 25th in goals for, 6th in goals allowed, 24th on the PP and 14th on the PK. So with the exception of the PK we have been a bottom 5 team in almost every category. We have had 6 top 10 picks (Virtanen, McCann, Boeser, Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin) of those I think it's fair to say that Virtanen, Juolevi and McCann weren't good picks, the jury is still out on Podkolzin.
3. The Canucks will be a bottom 5 team in the NHL again this year and next year if we are going to have 4-5 ELC this year and 3-4 next. Our prospect pool is definitely not that deep. At best this year (other than a 1-2 game call up for injury reasons) Hoglander, Podkolzin and Rathbone. Next year maybe Podkolzin and Woo.
4. 40 million in cap next year with 7 players signed and huge deals needed for Hughes, Pettersson and Boeser. Given Benning's history we can assume 30 million of that will go to over priced, under performing vets for the bottom of the line up. This past season we had the following cap hits on the books;
Eriksson $6 (AHL), Sutter $4.375 (4th line), Beagle $3 (4th line), Baertschi $3.36 (AHL), Roussel $3 (4th line), Myers $6 (#4/5 dman), Holtby $4.3 (back up goalie), add in the Spooner buyout and the Luongo cap recapture of a combined $4.4 for those scoring along at home that's $34.4 million or 42% of the total cap spent on players that did not perform up to their deals - 4th liners and AHLers !!. And Benning signed every one of those with exception of the Luongo cap recapture. Add in the Ferland deal and it doesn't get better. So forgive me if I don't have the confidence that Benning can effectively manage this team.
5. If Benning hadn't repeatedly shot himself in the foot with his brutal contracts and lack of asset management re-signing Toffoli would have been simple. Sure the flat cap didn't help, but it was a secondary reason after wasting 42% of the teams cap.
6. For the record, I was a Benning fan for his first few years, but blunder after blunder made me re-think my original position. I am perfectly capable of changing my opinions if evidence points me that way, but Benning hasn't done enough to restore any of my faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad