Rumor: Dhaliwal- Boeser to Pens is a real possibility

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
All this Canucks rumor seems crazy to me. They are right there in a playoff hunt. Even a "hockey trade" could cost that

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
And we have Pens fans that still want Fleury back as a number one goalie. Your uncle is probably a Facebook pens fan at best. We don't count those.
I don’t have social media anymore. But when I did. I dipped my big toe in that Facebook Penguins group pool, and pulled it right back out. That is a cesspool of stupid. :laugh:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

dustybreaks

Dec 31, 2012
Ron Hextall is the pens gm, he’s literally the definition of play it safe. He’s never in his front office career made a trade to “push” his team over the top. It’s either a bottom 6 add or trading for draft picks.

KrisLeturnover

Jan 17, 2021
Ron Hextall is the pens gm, he’s literally the definition of play it safe. He’s never in his front office career made a trade to “push” his team over the top. It’s either a bottom 6 add or trading for draft picks.
Doubt it with the leaks from Pens management saying they're "going for one last run". There will be at least one substantial addition.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Well as a GM he took on a brutal Flyers squad and helped draft some solid players there and I think the lone big trade he made was the Schenn one. So outside of doing very well with the Kings drafting and some solid Flyers drafts, he's really been a GM that hasn't been in this position before, a team that can still be a contender.

But there's also the issue of a coach and his style. If a coach is more eager for veterans and a certain type, it limits what a GM can do. Since gms don't just randomly add talent to the roster like some EA Sports GM - he has to get a player that fits the coach's style.

And that's where Hextall gets f***ed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Doubt it with the leaks from Pens management saying they're "going for one last run". There will be at least one substantial addition.
It really depends on what that is though.

We know that they consider Zucker basically a free deadline add when he's healthy. They (Sully/Hex) apparently aren't fans of POJ, there's far too many of the Sully favourite types on this team like - Boyle, McGinn, Aston-Reese, Simon, Heinen, Rodrigues, etc. That's half our bottom 6 wingers there. Most teams have 2-3 of those types in the top contenders group. Pens are like 90% of those types.

Then there's the fact that Pettersson-Marino isn't the ideal pair for this coaching staff and Dumoulin is in a weird spot with how well Matheson has been playing and how mediocre Dumoulin has been.

So there's a lot there to unpack. Does Hextall do addition by subtraction? Add a back up veteran with playoff experience? Move out Kapanen? POJ packaged with one of those? Dumoulin on the outs? Pettersson and Marino aren't the ideal pair so one of them goes?

I do like and hate that Hextall plays the cards very close to his chest. We get nothing to discuss.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I hope this doesn't happen. Boeser can still score better than Kapanen, and I don't know how the heck Miller's name came into discussion for trade.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
If they believe Crosby / Malkin / Letang still have it in them, I don't see why they would not make a major add. Even when their stars were absent they showed they are a team which has a good system in place and wants to win. I am not a PIT fan but I really hope they go for it to see another potential win from this core.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
If they believe Crosby / Malkin / Letang still have it in them, I don't see why they would not make a major add. Even when their stars were absent they showed they are a team which has a good system in place and wants to win. I am not a PIT fan but I really hope they go for it to see another potential win from this core.
I thought Guentzel played well, too. Maybe, Crosby can pair with Guentzel again, and Malkin with Boeser.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
It will take cap deals and multi trade deals here to do what is needed.
Pens get Miller RD from Buffalo for a pick. I assume he will be healthy to play.
Pens send Marino for Garland.
Pes can move Kap if there is a deal that makes sense. If not keep him as his value is not there and that will allow the Pens to sign him as a RFA for a nice AAV. I like Kap as his skill is just hard to find.
Dumo to the Rangers for a 2nd this year and next. Pens get 4 million in cap space next year and flexibility on D to sign Miller or another RD. Pens now have cap space to add Miller and the Rangers 2nd to the Sabres.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Pens get Miller RD from Buffalo for a pick. I assume he will be healthy to play.
Pes can move Kap if there is a deal that makes sense. If not keep him as his value is not there and that will allow the Pens to sign him as a RFA for a nice AAV. I like Kap as his skill is just hard to find.
Dumo to the Rangers for a 2nd this year and next. Pens get 4 million in cap space next year and flexibility on D to sign Miller or another RD. Pens now have cap space to add Miller and the Rangers 2nd to the Sabres.

I'm pretty confident Dumoulin is not going to get traded midseason. He's worn the A for this team and is the longest tenured Penguin besides Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. I would be amazed if they shipped him out at the trade deadline in a year where they're trying to compete, considering he's a veteran leader with multiple cup wins to his name.

In the offseason? Sure. But not now.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Dumo has value to a cup contender like the Rangers. That is why I use this TDL for him. But in that context, he will be easy to move. I need to open space for Miller as RD and moving Marino for Garland. I know this is never going to happen but my thinking is Garland hedges Rust heading out. It gives Hextall more flexibility and keeping Kap for a good contract next year as his value is low to me makes sense. Plus Pens need scoring and Garland is a RH shot on RW who may be a player that helps Geno on the second line. I prefer Garland over a rental like Rakell which will cost a lot anyway. I also think Letang will command more than some think and Rust at 7 million per is just to rich for the Pens cap structure. Letang is critical as Pens have no one close to his value as a RH D.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

That’s just brutal. Wow.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
That’s just brutal. Wow.
Really? The Pens presently constructed have little secondary scoring and have you watched Sid and Geno lately? Pens with Jarry playing exceptionally well is also masking the obvious. Pens can't score enough to win a 7 game series vs a top team. They need scoring, not a OK D man at this point. Garland gives them scoring. Hedges Rust leaving and you really think Geno with who he has now is going to win anything. Pens won a cup with out Letang. They can win one with out Dumo. Marino for Garland is a move I make 100 out of 100 times.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I just kept getting sadder the longer I read. :(

I need my therapy dog now.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Really? The Pens presently constructed have little secondary scoring and have you watched Sid and Geno lately? Pens with Jarry playing exceptionally well is also masking the obvious. Pens can't score enough to win a 7 game series vs a top team. They need scoring, not a OK D man at this point. Garland gives them scoring. Hedges Rust leaving and you really think Geno with who he has now is going to win anything. Pens won a cup with out Letang. They can win one with out Dumo. Marino for Garland is a move I make 100 out of 100 times.

1) We all agree we need to upgrade our top 6 W. I like Garland a lot, but not for Marino. Pettersson, Kapanen, Poulin, 1st rounder, and maybe some lesser prospects & other pics are all assets I’d be happy to move. But as much as I like Garland, I’m not moving Marino unless it’s for someone a fair bit better.

2) You’re making the assumption that the Pens will lose Rust as justification for why we should trade for Garland. I don’t believe the Penguins are making any plans/trades without having a VERY clear idea on what’s going to happen with re-signing of the big 3, and I would personally bet money on all 3 of them signing. They’ll move out Pettersson, Zucker, Kapanen and others if needed to clear cap.

3) This team is NOT going to trade MULTIPLE Dmen in season. This isn’t a video game. While we may see holes here and there and want some of these guys to produce more or be more consistent, you don’t f**k up the chemistry you have by shipping multiple pieces out. The off-season is when you look at making 2-3 different moves, though I’d personally like to keep everyone except Pettersson and have him replaced by POJ (or someone similarly priced) for cap reasons so the savings can be spent at forward. Dumoulin is a playoff warrior and we’re not trading him + Marino in season, to be replaced by 2 unknowns.

4) If Rust truly does leave in the off-season, we’ll address it in the off-season. We’re not going to make our team worse now because you THINK there’s a chance Rust MIGHT leave. It’s just flawed logic.

What we need to do to make our team better — realistically considering our cap restraints and lack of high quality prospects we can use in trade — is to add ONE high quality winger (preferably RW) to play with Geno, and put Rust back with Crosby. If that means moving out any combination of ZAR, Pettersson, Kapanen, 1st (heck, even both our 2022 abs 2023 1sts if it’s for the right player), Poulin, etc, that’s fine with me. But filling one hole (Garland) by creating another (Marino) just doesn’t make sense in the immediate or longer term.

Reactions: 3ladesof5teel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad