GDT: Devils VS Jackets 7:00

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Let's just call it for what it is. Two of out three highest paid players play FAR below their pay grade.

Only with the difference that Laine was after injury while Johnny is, as say in Slovakia, healthy as a fish.
---
Only the Russian element and Sillinger with Johnson can be distinguished among forwards. Interesting, who will be new Gaudreau's partners?

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Honestly, I've probably said this before ut the worst thing Jarmo has ever done is not stick with a plan and the Devils are proof you CAN do it right.

Investing in Gaudreau, Laine, and veterans etc. has set this team back. They need about 4 years of good solid sucking and good drafting.

They are about 2 years into it. Let Johnson, Fantilli, Marchenko and Jiricek develop above wins and losses. Get another 2 years of top 5 draft picks. Keep stacking the high end prospect pool like the Devils.

Halfboard

Nov 30, 2005
Honestly, I've probably said this before ut the worst thing Jarmo has ever done is not stick with a plan and the Devils are proof you CAN do it right.

Investing in Gaudreau, Laine, and veterans etc. has set this team back. They need about 4 years of good solid sucking and good drafting.

They are about 2 years into it. Let Johnson, Fantilli, Marchenko and Jiricek develop above wins and losses. Get another 2 years of top 5 draft picks. Keep stacking the high end prospect pool like the Devils.
That’s too logical……never happen here

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Investing in Laine was a matter out of Jarmo's control. That was caused PLDuece"s stunt.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
IMG_1484.jpeg

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Hedger on Twitter was calling fans jack***es, then deleting the tweet(s).

So, it's going well all around this season.

10 wins through 32 games = true both last year and this year.

• Haha
Reactions: koteka

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio

It’s a good plan you have
only fire Jarmo first

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It’s a good plan you have
only fire Jarmo first
I think most people are on board with this. The last straw for me was hiring and then removing Babcock before he ever touched the ice in Columbus.

I feel for Pascal Vincent because I think he's a good guy who could be successful but he was placed in a no win situation by management and their Jekyll and Hyde roster construction. Are we trying to be competitive or are we trying to build for the future? Or are we doing a half assed approach to both?

Reactions: Fred Glover

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Only with the difference that Laine was after injury while Johnny is, as say in Slovakia, healthy as a fish.
---
Only the Russian element and Sillinger with Johnson can be distinguished among forwards. Interesting, who will be new Gaudreau's partners?
Frankly, the only wavering in my position I'm considering is whether Werenski makes it a perfect 3 for 3.

The Four Seven

You encountered Negative Man!
Feb 3, 2009
Central Ohio
I was away for the weekend but seeing the game recap on YT told me enough. Tarasov looked like ass, the defense was a gong show, and that play by Kent Johnson on the empty net goal irrationally felt like getting back at me for praising his confident play against Toronto.

Additionally, I read earlier in the thread that Gaudreau seems to get more of a pass than Laine for his poor play this season, so I'll just step up and loudly announce that I wish Johnny Gaudreau had never come here. He's not given us much at all to smile about since showing up, in fact he actually cost us a draft spot last season with his GWG against Pittsburgh, his play this season has been total dog water, he makes $9.75 MILLION per year to suck this hard, and his blasé demeanor during post-game interviews make me want to grab him by the neck and shake him and tell him, "well Johnny, maybe if you'd played harder/smarter/at all, maybe the other team wouldn't be the better team so damn often, now would they?!" He's 5'9 and 197 lbs, he plays like he's even smaller. Johnny Gaudreau is like if you were a kid at a store and you asked your mom for a Cam Atkinson and your mom says, "we already have a Cam Atkinson at home", except it's not Cam f***ing Atkinson, it's Johnny f***ing Gaudreau. I would take half a Cam Atkinson over a whole Johnny Gaudreau any day of the week.

...okay, I'm finished. That was cathartic. Sorry to those who like him, and I honestly don't *hate* him, at least not yet, but this has been simmering for a while.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Additionally, I read earlier in the thread that Gaudreau seems to get more of a pass than Laine for his poor play this season

For me the distinction is that Gaudreau usually doesn't suck. He kinda did in this game but he's mostly a good player. Too many "okayish" nights for a player with his track record, I get that. Laine's getting heat this year because he's been bad and not just bad for his salary.

He's 5'9 and 197 lbs, he plays like he's even smaller.

If he plays like he's 150 lbs, that's because he's a lot closer to it. His official measurements are around 5'9 163 and many say he's smaller than that. When he broke into the league he was closer to 150 and perhaps the smallest skater in league records. Most people didn't think he'd survive the NHL. He's not in the same category as Atkinson or Danforth, Johnny's game has to be about avoiding contact.

Johnny Gaudreau is like if you were a kid at a store and you asked your mom for a Cam Atkinson and your mom says, "we already have a Cam Atkinson at home", except it's not Cam f***ing Atkinson, it's Johnny f***ing Gaudreau. I would take half a Cam Atkinson over a whole Johnny Gaudreau any day of the week.

I remember many times when some fans here ripped on Cam Atkinson. I hope we don't get carried away with Johnny.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I remember many times when fans some fans here ripped on Cam Atkinson. I hope we don't get carried away with Johnny.
I hope he gets carried away by a team looking to add a .5 ppg guy offset by a -.5 +/- per game and wanting to spend 9.75 per year until the guy ages out

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
How does this team still sell out games?
Well, is it really about selling out games, or about the revenue brought in? Those two seem to be very different for the CBJ.

This is a little relevant so I'll post it for those interested:

I've been planning my NHL trip and I've bought some tickets already. Guess which team is not breaking my bank? Now, I'm not an expert at NHL ticket sales, and my sample size is really small (CBJ, COL, ARI, VGK, CHI). But so far I've bought all the CBJ tickets I wanted and the total for 3 games comes to a whopping $18+$18+$72 = $108. Basically the same price as my lone Arizona ticket and my lone Colorado ticket each (the COL seats are comparable to the cheapest CBJ tickets, upper bowl, Arizona is slightly better but of course that arena is hard to compare). I have not secured my VGK and CHI tickets yet because those were already over the $100 threshold, so I'm holding out some hope maybe there's some Xmas sales (but I don't think they will do that - they don't need to, their March/April games are pretty full already).

So in a nutshell CBJ does a lot of discounted ticket sales - I got mine from the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. Those deals were way better than any other teams I checked (I'm sure it's similar for some others but they just weren't on my radar/trip schedule). Colorado does quite a lot of marketing and sends by far the most emails but they don't really discount tickets as much as have something else that drives people to games. Arizona has automated emails about season tickets coming periodically. CBJ is more of a Nationwide marketing emails thing, not really CBJ.

Anyhow I'm guessing CBJ brings in a lot less revenue than many other teams, even if the games are "soldout" (and even if you take in the 10% as mentioned above). It's still probably okay and maybe my timing was a bit lucky, but I'm seeing a lot of different CBJ ticket initiatives and special pricing/promotions than the other teams on my schedule. That said, at least it shows that there is interest in the team/games, it could always be worse and half empty.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
For me the distinction is that Gaudreau usually doesn't suck. He kinda did in this game but he's mostly a good player. Too many "okayish" nights for a player with his track record, I get that. Laine's getting heat this year because he's been bad and not just bad for his salary.

I remember many times when some fans here ripped on Cam Atkinson. I hope we don't get carried away with Johnny.

Agree on getting carried away with this, Johnny is still a good player and when the team will be less reliant on him due to internal growth, he can help the team. Same could be said for Laine.

To the distinction, that is subjective. I have seen more goals as a result of a Johnny giveaway than from Patty. Johnny has an abysmal conversion rate in shots this year, he has scored 5 goals in 32 games while Laine is 6 in 18. And Laine has been playing bunch of those games while visibly recovering from injuries.

I don't see an advantage to Johnny in anything else than he skates faster, also plays more minutes . Average skating distance actually goes to Laine as well. . Johnny has less time on offensive zone and more in defensive zone on average than Laine. He isn't defensively or offensively better. But the eye test is subjective so it's to each their own.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad