GDT: Devils vs Hurricanes

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Agree. Giving up 30 shots to the Canes is not good. Cory played well. The D was ok. Hard to judge the D because Greene went out. After that, pairs were scrambled, ice time got out of hand. But against a stronger team, the Devils would not have fared well.

The Hurricanes average 29.9 shots on goal per game this year, so it's not really significantly above their average on the season.

That said, it wasn't a great defensive game by us but better than a majority of the last 6 weeks.

It's not nearly as bad as allowing 49 shots to the frickin Canadiens, that was beyond putrid. The last couple PK's were awful, I'd say they got a good amount of shots while on the PP. It wasn't too bad at even strength.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
I'm pretty surprised to see any negative comments about the game. Carolina is a pretty decent team that has been playing really well at home and the Devils managed to grind out what I thought was a real gutsy win. It wasn't always pretty but it's a real positive sign that they managed to win a game like this. Second half of a back to back with travel and playing with 5D for more than 2/3 of the game. This is the type of game they would normally give up 4+ goals with the way they were playing.

I really liked their compete level and attention to detail the last couple nights. Even if they don't always win, I'll be happy if they at least give themselves a chance.

Very impressed with Santini. He brings the physical presence that they were lacking on the blue line and you can tell that he has what it takes. He's going to be a good one.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Cory also bailed them out a bit with some big big time saves.

I feel like he's been playing pretty well since our last game against the Rangers. The Nashville game was the only game in between where he didn't look great or gave up a weak goal.

I thought he was solid in each Pittsburgh game where he allowed 4 goals, puck just wasn't hitting him those games. Much like Kinkaid against the Caps the other day.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Have to go back to him Friday I think.

So weird that December he is usually crap and suddenly he turns it on in January.

I don't see why we wouldn't go back to him on Friday, though I did forget it was a back to back.

I just can't see him finishing the season with a save percentage below 91% or even below a .915%, he's too good.

A bad season for guys like Rask and Schneider is still on par with a really good season for Cam Ward these days and maybe even Pekka Rinne too.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
We only allowed one even strength shot on goal in the first period.

Yeah - this is fair.

I thought the team played well for the first half of the game.

Once Greene went out, it was basically hanging on for dear life.

The only reason they won was a fluke goal from Cammy. Without that, we might be talking about another lost lead.

On Hynes - I do think the powerplay highlights his stubbornness. It was atrocious once again. Why haven't they shifted to 2 D? Right now, they need to forget about scoring - they need the powerplay to not give momentum to the other team. The best scoring chances the Canes had in the first were short-handed. It's the same with the losing streak, or not pulling Cory. Hynes could have simplified the team's game way earlier. Instead, we had to sit through the past 6 weeks before changes were made.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
I wonder if Zajac gonna try to challenge his epic goal drought of 27 games. He's already at 15 games without a goal. Not good for a guy who plays 20+min, I guess.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Yeah - this is fair.

I thought the team played well for the first half of the game.

Once Greene went out, it was basically hanging on for dear life.

The only reason they won was a fluke goal from Cammy. Without that, we might be talking about another lost lead.

On Hynes - I do think the powerplay highlights his stubbornness. It was atrocious once again. Why haven't they shifted to 2 D? Right now, they need to forget about scoring - they need the powerplay to not give momentum to the other team. The best scoring chances the Canes had in the first were short-handed. It's the same with the losing streak, or not pulling Cory. Hynes could have simplified the team's game way earlier. Instead, we had to sit through the past 6 weeks before changes were made.

Who knew that playing with 5 defensemen, especially without your #1 guy, wasn't as easy as playing with 6 :facepalm:

In regards to our PP, there's no way I want 2 D's per unit. We have one threat and that's Severson. Quincey can run our 2nd unit but Greene has a Mike Mottau shot and do you really want to see Lovejoy, Merrill or Santini there?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
2 D power plays are worse than 1 D power plays, and especially for the Devils who don't have the kind of D a team would use on the PP. They were already using Kyle Quincey there last night, and that was before Greene got hurt.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I don't really get the whole two D men on the power play thing either, unless you're just convinced the PP won't ever do crap anyway and you're just trying to prevent SH goals. That's basically what they did last night up two with <10 minutes left.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah I don't really get the whole two D men on the power play thing either, unless you're just convinced the PP won't ever do crap anyway and you're just trying to prevent SH goals. That's basically what they did last night up two with <10 minutes left.

Or unless you don't think the forwards are not very good at puck movement.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wonder if Zajac gonna try to challenge his epic goal drought of 27 games. He's already at 15 games without a goal. Not good for a guy who plays 20+min, I guess.

Did you see who he was playing with last night? Kalinin had a 2 point game the night before, did you expect him to score two games in a row?

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Regarding the PP, just fired the coach and replace him with a tv monitor that plays the Blue Jackets PP on an endless loop. :laugh:

kiwidevil

Can just see you sitting there and cursing every time Zajac get's a point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad