Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
LGD!!

Severson sitting for Lovejoy? Yikes. I've been critical of the tire fire defense Severson has been playing, but Lovejoy is hardly an improvement overall.

He's not, but given how easily Butcher/Severson was rolled over by the Caps, I'm not sure them against the Blues would be much better.

Although somebody on the staff needs to realize that having two unbalanced pairings with Greene/Santini and Butcher/Severson is probably not a great idea.

Reactions: Blender

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He's not, but given how easily Butcher/Severson was rolled over by the Caps, I'm not sure them against the Blues would be much better.

Although somebody on the staff needs to realize that having two unbalanced pairings with Greene/Santini and Butcher/Severson is probably not a great idea.
Moore - Vats is not a balanced pairing but has been very good.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Tableau Public

Severson leads our defense in carry-ins per/60
You know what these stats are missing though? Successful zone entries started by the defenseman, but finished by a forward they passed to. It's why Severson leads and is only at 2.803 carry-ins per 60 minutes. That's barely relevant it's so few, as it means Severson averages less than 1 carry-in per game.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Moore - Vats is not a balanced pairing but has been very good.

It's more balanced than the other two because Vatanen is actually pretty decent defensively. Greene/Santini is good at preventing goals, because they protect the middle better than most, but they also tend to spend more time in the defensive zone because they're not good at controlled exits. Butcher/Severson is effective in the offensive zone but can get dominated defensively because neither one is particularly strong and don't protect the middle very well. Which is why they should mix those two pairings up.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Severson could use a shot in the arm and Lovejoy has actually been pretty fair this season. I don't like the move though. We should be icing our best roster and this isn't it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Tableau Public

Severson leads our defense in carry-ins per/60
There is no question that Severson needs to tighten things up in his own end, but what I don't get is tthe way this staff uses him.

Severson is the absolute best defender on this team for the way this organization wants to, or least says it wants to play. Instead of playing to his strengths and that would be putting him in a more offensive role behind top 6 forwards with a strong defensive partner so he can transition, they have had him with Moore, Butcher for the most part of the last two years. Playing with those guys essentially takes any freedom away from him by giving no one to lean on and allowing for zero chance taking. Why would you do this with a player like Severson?

Like I said initially there are definitely things that Severson needs to improve but his deployment has been terrible by this coaching staff... really the entire time they have been here.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
There is no question that Severson needs to tighten things up in his own end, but what I don't get is tthe way this staff uses him.

Severson is the absolute best defender on this team for the way this organization wants to, or least says it wants to play. Instead of playing to his strengths and that would be putting him in a more offensive role behind top 6 forwards with a strong defensive partner so he can transition, they have had him with Moore, Butcher for the most part of the last two years. Playing with those guys essentially takes any freedom away from him by giving no one to lean on and allowing for zero chance taking. Why would you do this with a player like Severson?

Like I said initially there are definitely things that Severson needs to improve but his deployment has been terrible by this coaching staff... really the entire time they have been here.

The Devils don't have the defender you're talking about. Greene is no longer that guy and Greene - Severson didn't look too hot when they were together.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Sev's had his best corsi when with Moore last year. Not sure of their usage then though.

Sev's has never struck me as a high end puck mover. He's pretty good in that regard, but I don't think its so good it can carry his game. He needs to bring an all around game.

And I really hope these are just measures to bring the best out of him. And I hope he responds. I'd be dissappointed if he were traded.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The fact that Allen is not facing us is, alone, BIG 'cause at least it gives the Devils SOME chance to pull of the miracle win.
Are we really going with this? That a win vs the Blues would be a miracle.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This is a pretty tough road game but The Devils are quiet capable of beating any time in the league regardless of road or home game, so all the best tonight and wish you a big "W"

Reactions: devsfan4life

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
Never feeling good going into a game against the blues. With that said... this is a different team. I wouldn't be surprised if they clawed a point out of this one. Anything more than that is gravy IMO. LGD!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sev's had his best corsi when with Moore last year. Not sure of their usage then though.

Sev's has never struck me as a high end puck mover. He's pretty good in that regard, but I don't think its so good it can carry his game. He needs to bring an all around game.

And I really hope these are just measures to bring the best out of him. And I hope he responds. I'd be dissappointed if he were traded.
Severson has pretty much led the Devils Defense in CF% from the very moment he stepped on the ice as a rookie..that's 4 years and 3 different coaching staffs and quite a few different partners.

Reactions: SteveCangialosi123

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Severson has pretty much led the Devils Defense in CF% from the very moment he stepped on the ice as a rookie..that's 4 years and 3 different coaching staffs and quite a few different partners.
And that's one stat.

Since Lovejoy has gotten here he has been better in gf%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad