The leafs should _____ offseason thread

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
They really shouldn’t be. I’m sick and tired of all three of them. Especially Marner and Tavares. Those two are stone cold losers.

Matthews is a loser too so far to be quite honest but he’s a perennial Rocket winning center nominated for the selke. You don’t trade that away.
They should all be on the table, all 4 of them are earning McDavid like money and all 4 of them come playoff time play worse, only Nylander has a small dropoff
Nah. This reminds me of my Caps in the 2010s. Really good team that just couldnt gel it together in the playoffs. But they were on the right track. All it takes is one random year that the stars align.

Instead of ”keep it going” Caps panicked, they decided to overreact and invent the wheel again. Hired Dale ”defence wins” Hunter who made prime Ovechkin into fourth line grinder and ended up wasting years of the cores prime pulling all kind of rabbits out of their sleeves.

What eventually got it done wasnt a magic trick. Is happened after they settled down again and let it roll, even if it was once again so close when they were close firing Trotz just few months earlier.

What im saying, overreacting and overcorrecting very rarely works. Leafs has highly talented lineup with plenty of years left on the cores prime. You build around it, dont crash it.

And when you finally get there all these failures make it just feel that much better.
The Caps core when they started making playoff runs was:
Semin/Green/Backstrom/Varlamov/Ovie

By the time they won only Ovechkin and Backstrom remained.

The Caps had massive turnover

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
You’re missing the point

You didn’t make this post about the Minnesota wild or the St. Louis blues

Maple Leafs in your head all day
Some of us like a good little laugh here and there , nothing wrong with enjoying comedy in life. Do you not watch any comedians or funny shows sometimes?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Nah. This reminds me of my Caps in the 2010s. Really good team that just couldnt gel it together in the playoffs. But they were on the right track. All it takes is one random year that the stars align.

Instead of ”keep it going” Caps panicked, they decided to overreact and invent the wheel again. Hired Dale ”defence wins” Hunter who made prime Ovechkin into fourth line grinder and ended up wasting years of the cores prime pulling all kind of rabbits out of their sleeves.

What eventually got it done wasnt a magic trick. Is happened after they settled down again and let it roll, even if it was once again so close when they were close firing Trotz just few months earlier.

What im saying, overreacting and overcorrecting very rarely works. Leafs has highly talented lineup with plenty of years left on the cores prime. You build around it, dont crash it.

And when you finally get there all these failures make it just feel that much better.
Washington re-structured a lot of their core and had draft picks pull through in Carlson, Kuznetsov, Holtby and Wilson.

Ovechkin and Backstrom were the only ones to really ride out the whole thing. What you're suggesting would have been riding out Green and Semin.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Here's Toronto 2nd, in the league for goals scored.
Trying to win in the playoffs with defense-first against a better defensive team.

How f***ing dumb does your coach have to be to go with that approach.
View attachment 866391

Notice how the 2 of the top 3 Goals-Against teams are out? because they brought a water pistol to a gun fight.

View attachment 866395

If Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews aren't able to get clean looks, then that's on coaching.

But bring Keefe back for a 6th year!
We all love watching Marner fail as a grindy defensive winger!

I mean it wasn't until games 5-7 that they really went full "D first". Playing their regular offensive game wasn't working.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
You’re missing the point

You didn’t make this post about the Minnesota wild or the St. Louis blues

Maple Leafs in your head all day
You guys pile it on us too when shit happens, and incessantly throughout the year.

It's what we do on the mains.

I've been hearing from Leaf fans before McDavid was drafted that he was going to bolt ASAP to Toronto, and Matthews was better anyways. We still hear that.

We're just giving it back when you're at your lowest. I tend to avoid the mains for a few weeks when we get eliminated so kudos to you for taking your lumps.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I honestly think Matthews was poised to have a big breakout series until the hockey gods cursed him. Nylander certainly can rise to the moment.

They do need to bring in someone(s) that can handle the burden of the market. It's so similar to the Red Sox before 2004. The Boston market for baseball was brutal then. So much pressure. You think 1967 was bad... imagine 1918. And the Red Sox kept making it the to the World Series game 7 once a decade and losing. They brought in *multiple* guys who could keep the locker room loose and not feel the pressure. Some clowns like Kevan Millar. Some guys that had done it before like Schilling. It's not just "adding Foligno at the deadline", they need multiple guys that help the locker room diffuse that burden.

The harder part about hockey is specifically the goaltending position. Finding a guy that can meet the moment fearlessly is hard.

Mar 12, 2009
As a Habs fan, I have to say that Marc Bergevin's "No Excuses" campaign got old pretty quick. I truly didn't think I would ever say this, but I am thinking the Leafs should steal from Bargain Bin's playbook because the loser mentality on this Maple Leafs squad is unreal.

"...but at the same time, we were right there" - William Nylander

For a couple years now Willy has easily been the Leafs best player in the playoffs, but this is such nonsense and extra bad because it's your emotional leader. You were right there... where? One goal away from winning the first round? And then what? The Leafs were nowhere. This first round matchup featured two pretty weak teams, case in point Boston is a favorite to get tossed quickly in the second round. Yet this comment sounded exactly like it would if they just lost a SCF game 7.

I wanted to make a longer post listing all the horrible loser excuses I heard after the loss and then some more the day after. Not one journalist on either Toronto channel mentioned once the awful loser mentality that was on display. I remember a year ago Rielly crying for this "core" to have one more shot... I have to say, if for nothing else the Leafs are incredibly adept at providing quality entertainment.

Last year Dubas finally acquired good enough depth for the playoffs (O'Reilly, McCabe). It seems it took him 5 years to figure which type of players are effective in postseason. Before the playoffs started that year I remember thinking it's a shame for them they got these players during a Matthews down year. Once again their top players failed them as we all know.

Domi and Bertuzzi were good acquisitions, I'm not a Treliving fan but I mean it shows that at least he knows what type of player is needed to support. But the D-Line has become seriously bad with the play of their older D declining rapidly. When I look at this blueline, I basically see a average #1 D in Rielly, a great 2nd pairing in McCabe and the rest is basically trash. A Toronto defenseman not named Rielly making a offensive play has basically become a sight to see.

I think they're gonna trade Marner for a dman (or should anyway) this summer and the return will make this board explode ala Hall vs Larsson. What would be realistic candidate in a 1 for 1 hockey trade? Happy 2nd round everyone, hope you show some indulgence to a 20 years lurker, first time poster.
A Habs fan making their first post about the Leafs. Very fitting for HF.

Reactions: AvroArrow

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Marner’s 27 years old, Matthews will be 27 in the fall and Nylander is 28. Rielly is 30. Tavares’ best years are far behind him.
They finished in 10th spot this year.
It will likely take at least 2 years to retool given all of the NMC’s.
They’ve pretty much blown the prime of the core players at this point. It’s a very small window left and not much in the pipeline with all of the first round picks they’ve traded.

Mar 12, 2009
Its not opinions its factual and quite easy to talk about and predict , you guys stink , its not the players its not the management its not the goalies its not the coaches.

Its the crest brother
As if Habs fans commenting on the Leafs predictable. Fact is you have a lot of time to focus on the Leafs because your team is in an even deeper trash heap, and annoying Leaf fans is the only joy you can get out of hockey as a result lol.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Imagine typing that long essay and blaming the blue line, when it was the core forwards who didn't do enough lmao, we know why you made the thread thank you.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I mean it wasn't until games 5-7 that they really went full "D first". Playing their regular offensive game wasn't working.
The Boston gameplan was from day 1 was to absolutely stuff Matthews.

And it worked like a charm.

What exactly did Keefe do to adjust to get Matthews more open space and clean looks?

ohh right no. you guys don't do that.

You expect Matthews to go end to end, beat defenders clean, and shoot through a maze of sticks and bodies, and score on a Vezina winning goalie who's already squared up against him.

What exactly did Keefe do to stretch out the Boston defense, and get Matthews some clean looks? did he do anything to get Swayman to move laterally?

All I'm saying is Hellebyuck is a better goalie than Swayman, and Colorado turned him into Swiss cheese. And Toronto had the personnel to do the same, but they don't have to coaching.

And I'm glad you wanna blow it up. Some other team is gonna get an awesome player out of it, and you're gonna try and win with less talent.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
As if Habs fans commenting on the Leafs predictable. Fact is you have a lot of time to focus on the Leafs because your team is in an even deeper trash heap, and annoying Leaf fans is the only joy you can get out of hockey as a result lol.
My team is in a great spot , you guys failed your rebuild , don't be mad at me be mad at your players who embarrass you every single year like clockwork. Don't hate the playa hate the game brother.

Also don't kid yourselves my garbage habs team not good enough to sniff the playoffs during a rebuild would still stomp your leafs in a bo7 , funniest part is you know it too :laugh::laugh::laugh:

NVious

Dec 20, 2022

What exactly did Keefe do to adjust to get Matthews more open space and clean looks?

You expect Matthews to go end to end, beat defenders clean, and shoot through a maze of sticks and bodies, and score on a Vezina winning goalie who's already squared up against him.

What exactly did Keefe do to stretch out the Boston defense, and get Matthews some clean looks? did he do anything to get Swayman to move laterally?

All I'm saying is Hellebyuck is a better goalie than Swayman, and Colorado turned him into Swiss cheese. And Toronto had the personnel to do the same, but they don't have to coaching.

And I'm glad you wanna blow it up. Some other team is gonna get an awesome player, and you're gonna try and win with less talent.
Only in Toronto does a 70 goal scorer making 14 million need some masterful gameplan so he can score lmao.

Matthews g/60 ranks by far 1st in the season and 32 in the playoffs
He has 0 goals in his 6 game 7s

Mar 12, 2009
My team is in a great spot , you guys failed your rebuild , don't be mad at me be mad at your players who embarrass you every single year like clockwork. Don't hate the playa hate the game brother
If the Leafs were in the spot the Habs are in, you'd be mocking them just like you are now. You and the dumbest Leaf fans have a lot in common, just different crests lol. Don't kid yourself. Some of you just think about the Leafs as much or more than your own team, it's just a fact. Thankfully we can't understand half of you lol, or else it would be a real nightmare instead of funny.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

And I'm glad you wanna blow it up. Some other team is gonna get an awesome player out of it, and you're gonna try and win with less talent.
Sure blame the coach that the highest paid player in the NHL can’t score.

Mar 12, 2009
My team is in a great spot , you guys failed your rebuild , don't be mad at me be mad at your players who embarrass you every single year like clockwork. Don't hate the playa hate the game brother.

Also don't kid yourselves my garbage habs team not good enough to sniff the playoffs during a rebuild would still stomp your leafs in a bo7 , funniest part is you know it too :laugh::laugh::laugh:
You're sniffing something, I'll give you that :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Only in Toronto does a 70 goal scorer making 14 million need some masterful gameplan so he can score lmao.

Matthews g/60 ranks by far 1st in the season and 32 in the playoffs
He has 0 goals in his 6 game 7s
That is correct.

There is 82 games of footage that the Bruins were able to look at this year alone to dissect and target specifically how Matthews gets his shots off, and they decided to box him out of those areas. And Toronto did absolutely nothing to respond.

You guys just let Matthews get boxed out and made absolutely no adjustments.

I'm glad you guys are moving on. Marner is gonna be an amazing playoff performer on another team. Just like Hyman (who was also another failed Leaf grinder).

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Dubas may talk about analytics and how much he likes analytics, but I doubt Dubas is really an analytics guy himself. He's a Player Agent turned "personnel management" guy. It's kind of amazing how putting on some trendy glasses and speaking the analytics talk while being a young guy convinced a bunch of people that he was some sort of analytical wunderkind.

Chayka of course was just a straight up charlatan spinning whatever snake oil analytic model he crafted up. Both were pretty terrible GM hires.
If you look at the Kadri trade, Sakic suckered him with some pretty facile stats on Kerfoot and Barrie.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
If the Leafs were in the spot the Habs are in, you'd be mocking them just like you are now. You and the dumbest Leaf fans have a lot in common, just different crests lol. Don't kid yourself. Some of you just think about the Leafs as much or more than your own team, it's just a fact. Thankfully we can't understand half of you lol, or else it would be a real nightmare instead of funny.
You don't get it.

Here in Canada Leafs are shoved down our throats 24/7. Even outside of Ontario, all we get everywhere nonstop is Leafs Coverage. They own all the sports networks here. Even during the Oilers Canucks broadcast, we are expecting non-stop jabbering about Leafs DURING the play.

Recently:
Our state-sponsored pro-Leaf NATIONAL News funded by Canadian taxpayers gloated about us losing:

1715095646641.png
1715095683301.png

So f*** the Leafs. We're glad they lost.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That is correct.

There is 82 games of footage that the Bruins were able to look at this year alone to dissect and target specifically how Matthews gets his shots off, and they decided to box him out of those areas. And Toronto did absolutely nothing to respond.

I'm glad you guys are moving on. Marner is gonna be an amazing playoff performer on another team. Just like Hyman (who was also another failed Leaf grinder).
That’s a really poor example. The only similarities between Marner and Hyman is that they both played for the Leafs.
Hyman was a physical hard working player who had not yet broken out offensively at the time of the trade.
Marner is a skilled but soft player who has broken out and is paid accordingly.
Every Leaf player who is traded will not have a Hyman trajectory. In fact, Hyman’s career path is very unique and rare.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
That is correct.

Funny how teams don't figure out other superstars like Mack, Makar, Drai, McDavid, but only the Leaf ones.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad