Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason V

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Buyout of Richards after 3 seasons would be $4mil. Cap hit would be $1 mil over the next 4 years after the buyout.

Is that right? If so, I am so in.

Or is the cap hit from #6, in which case I think it would be $4.75 over the last 2 seasons.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
You could also keep Richards for the next 3 years only and then trade him with some salary retained for the last two for a late round pick - which Is better than the buyout.

I'd do : La's #13 plus Richards for Our #41, Ruutu, and a minor league dman like Burlon.

Frees up a contract for us. Ruutu only 1 more year so were not eating the entire cap hit this year. LA saves this year o cold buyout Ruutu for lot less $ than Richards. like we did with Rolston/Trent Hunter.

LA gets an early 2nd rounder, a prospect 6-7 dman on the cheap and a roster player.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
You could also keep Richards for the next 3 years only and then trade him with some salary retained for the last two for a late round pick - which Is better than the buyout.

I'd do : La's #13 plus Richards for Our #41, Ruutu, and a minor league dman like Burlon.

Frees up a contract for us. Ruutu only 1 more year so were not eating the entire cap hit this year. LA saves this year o cold buyout Ruutu for lot less $ than Richards. like we did with Rolston/Trent Hunter.

LA gets an early 2nd rounder, a prospect 6-7 dman on the cheap and a roster player.

You're lowballing LA tons.

I like the creativity though

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014

I would do that. One other thing to consider. Assuming the #13 pick is on your roster for part the time that Richards is, that's like having two players for the combined salary of Richards and an entry level deal which isn't too bad.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

We're giving up a 2nd in this scenario? I dunno about that. Ruutu and Burlon are cool though.

I also don't know about a team trading for Richards 3 years from now. If he does not turn his career around, you think teams will be interested in a washed up player with 2 years left at $5.75?

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
For those worried about adding Richards' contract. The bottom line is we are able to have Richards' cap hit as we are in no way going to be in cap trouble within the next five years. We have big money coming off with Elias' 5.5, Zubrus' 3.1, Ruutu's 3.8, along with Clowe's $4.8 going on LTIR. That's $17.2 million opening up after next season (give or take whenever Clowe goes on LTIR), on top of our current $21.1 million free. $38.3 million. Keep in mind the cap will go up as well.

Even if LA didn't retain any of Richard's contract, we could afford his 5.75 for five years, even though we'll have to pay Larsson, Merrill, Severson, extend Henrique, and anyone else.

If we get the right package of assets, it's definitely worth taking on Richard's toxic contract.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
We're giving up a 2nd in this scenario? I dunno about that. Ruutu and Burlon are cool though.

I also don't know about a team trading for Richards 3 years from now. If he does not turn his career around, you think teams will be interested in a washed up player with 2 years left at $5.75?

I doubt they'd want Ruutu. And the only way they'd get a second out of me is if they gave up a prospect like Weal, Shore, or Zykov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad