Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I wonder what Shero's policy is on wafflemakers in the locker stalls. Kessel might stop being a pouty princess if he could have fresh waffles between periods. Just gotta keep they syrup away from Zubrus - he'll use it all in his coffee as sweetener.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Offer Sheet Saad

Since we gave our 2016 3rd to Pittsburgh for Hynes, it limits the type of offer sheet you can tender. To tender an offer sheet, you have to have your own pick as potential compensation. Via Elliotte Friedman: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-the-last-days-of-babwatch/

Less than $1,205,377 Nothing
$1,205,377-to-$1,826,328 Third-round pick
$1,826,328-to-$3,652,659 Second-round pick
$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986 First and third-round picks
$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316 First, second and third-round picks
$7,305,316-to-$9,131,645 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
$9,131,645 or greater Four first-round picks

Blackhawks would match a 3.65 mil offer sheet. And I don't think Saad's the guy you're giving 9 million/year.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
5 years? Someone else said 6.

It's a long time no doubt, but the draft pick would be here longer then that.

And Richards would actually be useful for us the first couple years.

Richards hasn't been useful since 2013.

It's going to take more than the 13th pick for me to take him on. To the point where it will literally hurt Dean to sign off on the deal.

They have NO leverage here.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
no he wouldn't. he ****ing stinks anymore. thats why he was in the AHL.

Yeah I dunno, hard to think he is completely washed up at 30 yrs old.

Just the same, we have plenty of cap room.

When would it become an issue? in year 4?

For the 13th pick? Which for Giggles is Kyle Connor?

That is something you have to consider, no?

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Richards hasn't been useful since 2013.

It's going to take more than the 13th pick for me to take him on. To the point where it will literally hurt Dean to sign off on the deal.

They have NO leverage here.

Bingo.

They're going to have to give up soooo much to unload his contract. They screwed themselves big time by saying how badly they want to trade him.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
Yeah I dunno, hard to think he is completely washed up at 30 yrs old.

Just the same, we have plenty of cap room.

When would it become an issue? in year 4?

For the 13th pick? Which for Giggles is Kyle Connor?

That is something you have to consider, no?

He's toast. Looks like Brendan Morrow out there. Could be a good 4th liner but not at his price.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Problem is Richards contract is for another 5 years....

That means during that time, (Assuming they are still here of course) Larsson will be getting real money, Severson will getting his first real contract, Merrill will be gettig his first real contract...There is a real good chance whoever we draft at #6 will be getting a big contract all before Richards comes off the books.

Richards contract is death.

We are not in a position to be a cap team right now. You're missing some points here. You're ignoring a. we have plenty of other high dollar contracts coming off the books in the near future (11M alone in Elias, Ruutu and Zubrus next season), b. the cap will probably go up.

How many years do you think it is until we're actually respectable again? I think its 2-3 years. I don't think we'll be sniffing the playoffs for 2, and in the 3rd we better get there. 2 years of Richards leaves 3 on his deal. 3 years/15M total with no clause is a lot easier to dump, buy out, or do something else with. Its more flexible. Plus, his cap hit goes DOWN as he gets later into the deal.

EDIT: Removed wrong cap hit info.

For me the only way I do it is if the reward outweighs the cost. The chance to pick up another young impact player in the draft and potentially even more depending on how the deal was fleshed out, means its something that should be looked into. The contract alone is bad, but it all depends on whats being offered in return.

Last edited:

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
He's toast. Looks like Brendan Morrow out there. Could be a good 4th liner but not at his price.

We have about 7 million on our fourth line right now between Ruutu and Zubrus. What's 6 more?? :sarcasm:

They'd obviously need to retain some of it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We are not in a position to be a cap team right now. You're missing some points here. You're ignoring a. we have plenty of other high dollar contracts coming off the books in the near future (11M alone in Elias, Ruutu and Zubrus next season), b. the cap will probably go up.

How many years do you think it is until we're actually respectable again? I think its 2-3 years. I don't think we'll be sniffing the playoffs for 2, and in the 3rd we better get there. 2 years of Richards leaves 3 on his deal. 3 years/15M total with no clause is a lot easier to dump, buy out, or do something else with. Its more flexible. Plus, his cap hit goes DOWN as he gets later into the deal.

Richards' cap hit: 6 this year 5.5 next, 4.5, 3M, 3M

Richards' contract is death to a team still trying to win (like the Kings). For a team that will not be spending to the cap, its easier to swallow.

For me the only way I do it is if the reward outweighs the cost. The chance to pick up another young impact player in the draft and potentially even more depending on how the deal was fleshed out, means its something that should be looked into. The contract alone is bad, but it all depends on whats being offered in return.

the cap hit is the same every year. it doesnt change.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ

Richards' cap hit: 6 this year, 5.5 next, 4.5, 3M, 3M

So you figure if we suck for 2 seasons, which is probably likely, his cap hit is nothing by that point. Its these two years that kill the Kings b/c they still can win. Richards' contract is death to a team still trying to win (like the Kings). For a team that will not be spending to the cap, its easier to swallow.

The cap hits won't change. It'll be the same 5.75 for the life of the contract.

Actual money owed will go down, though.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
no he wouldn't. he ****ing stinks anymore. thats why he was in the AHL.

Scott Gomez says hi. While Gomez wasn't demoted to the AHL, he certainly played like absolute *******. Gomez also has only played for literally 1 decent team in recent years which is one of the reasons he was never demoted. The Kings were defending champs and still had plenty of talent when Richards was demoted.

Gomez had 4 more points combined from 2012-2014 (38) than he did in all of last season (34).

Dont be so quick to write guys off that have shown plenty of talent before.

Richards is only 30. He could just as easily re-find some of his ability in a new environment.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yea and if we could have Richards for a league minimum contract like we did with Gomez last year, sure, sign him, whatever

but not for that albatross he has. its a BIG difference.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
yea and if we could have Richards for a league minimum contract like we did with Gomez last year, sure, sign him, whatever

but not for that albatross he has. its a BIG difference.

I dont disagree with you here about it being a big difference.

But, how many years do you think its going to take for this franchise to be a playoff team?

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Seriously doubt Shero trades for the worst contract in the league, when the ink on his contract is still wet.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
If we think like a general manager, we would have no motive to take Richards off of LA's hands. It puts them into a situation where they have to unload talented players for cheaper returns and to release free agents they would otherwise resign. Both of those options, although the Devils may never benifit, are better than having Richards on the team.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Richards contract is dog and the 13th overall is NOT enough to take on that contract.

13th overall is the starting point. Its all about the package on whole if it'd be worth it.

I dont disagree with any of these arguments. But its an option to gain assets that we're in a position now to consider and should be considered IMO. The Kings are in a completely different position than we are in terms of franchise. They're more apt to do things like including the first in this deal than another team that's years away from being any sort of contender.

There's also the fact that considering the financial risk on both sides that whomever the Kings trade with would request LA take on some of that burden too with some salary retained.

I would not support taking on Richards for the #13 alone. If we were going to take on the whole thing, it'd require #13 and Zykov, and I could see a GM even asking for more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad