Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason V

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
The past is the past. There's no way we are hornswaggling the kings. Expect Merrill to be asked for. I wouldn't pay it. Now some dead weight and a 2nd....sure. But I'm sure there are better deals for them to make than what we offer, if we offer at all. I'd love for it to happen but I just don't see it.

We laugh at them if they request Merrill. And the past is the past doesn't hold water here. There is a precedent for teams in the same situation and the precedent is a first round pick. This one is higher obviously, so sure the Kings will get tossed a bone.

The Kings are in cap hell. They have Voynov coming back which cuts their current space immediately in half. They have to re-sign Toffoli. If Richards doesnt fit into their plans, and they want to bring back Williams or someone new into the fray, Richards handcuffs them if hes not playing up to that deal. And they probably want to get a halfway decent backup tender in case something happens to Quick, which seems to lately.

The fact is there are not many options they have to dump this contract. The only realistic options outside of the West for Richards are us or the Sabres. I could see the Leafs if they move Kessel or Phaneuf as well. Washington's cap space will get eaten up by the amount of contracts they have to re-do/holes to fill.

I don't disagree we'd have to give something of value back, but it wouldnt be anything crazy. The Kings don't have the leverage here.

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
We laugh at them if they request Merrill. And the past is the past doesn't hold water here. There is a precedent for teams in the same situation and the precedent is a first round pick. This one is higher obviously, so sure the Kings will get tossed a bone.

The Kings are in cap hell. They have Voynov coming back which cuts their current space immediately in half. They have to re-sign Toffoli. If Richards doesnt fit into their plans, and they want to bring back Williams or someone new into the fray, Richards handcuffs them if hes not playing up to that deal. And they probably want to get a halfway decent backup tender in case something happens to Quick, which seems to lately.

The fact is there are not many options they have to dump this contract. The only realistic options outside of the West for Richards are us or the Sabres. I could see the Leafs if they move Kessel or Phaneuf as well. Washington's cap space will get eaten up by the amount of contracts they have to re-do/holes to fill.

I don't disagree we'd have to give something of value back, but it wouldnt be anything crazy. The Kings don't have the leverage here.

Ur writing far too much for me. My English isn't that good.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Just looked up the Flyers preseason schedule on their board. Their first game is Monday September 21st. Not sure who else has released their preseason schedules yet.

I'm assuming that means camp probably starts on the 17th or 18th of September.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That assumes Grigorenko's ceiling as being a 50-point forward which I don't believe to be true. Which would change the argument completely if you were talking about say, a 65-70 point forward and a 45-point defenseman.

The problem with these debates is either people assume our younger players are automatically better than someone else's younger players or conversely assume the grass is automatically greener on the other side. Like with the Larsson-Drasati trade mentioned earlier...that would be horrendous value for Larsson atm

Horrendous value? Really? I love Lars, and I know he had a real good 50 games last season, but has he shown that much over his career?

Don't get me wrong, if your saying we could get Draisaitl+ Im all for it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't want Richards. He'd instantly be more hated than Zajac around here.

**** helping out Deano on that one. The greatest general manager of all time should have used his buyout on that one when he had a free chance last year. Trading a first for Sekara was stupid too, when the team badly needed offense and scoring, which their putrid offense ultimately cost them a chance at possibly another big playoff run.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Horrendous value? Really? I love Lars, and I know he had a real good 50 games last season, but has he shown that much over his career?

Don't get me wrong, if your saying we could get Draisaitl+ Im all for it.

He's shown a lot more than Drasati has to this point and both were high picks. It'd be one thing if you were comparing Larsson pre 2015 to him but he's a bit further along now and more proven.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Resign Gomez and trade him at the deadline, Trade Elias at the deadline to a contender. Trade Ruutu at the deadline. Trade Tootoo during the year.

Darft more players. Win.

Last edited:

Elias2626

Aug 1, 2013
Offer Sheet Saad
Trade Gelinas+ to CBJ for Rychel
Draft Zacha
UFA - Oduya, Soderberg

Cammalleri - Soderberg - Saad
Rychel - Zacha - Elias
Henrique - Zajac - Josefson
Bernier - Gomez - Ruutu

Greene - Larsson
Oduya - Severson
Merrill - Helgeson

Schneider
Kinkaid

third D pair needs a little work ... rotate Matteau in with the bottom two wingers

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I don't want Richards. He'd instantly be more hated than Zajac around here.

**** helping out Deano on that one. The greatest general manager of all time should have used his buyout on that one when he had a free chance last year. Trading a first for Sekara was stupid too, when the team badly needed offense and scoring, which their putrid offense ultimately cost them a chance at possibly another big playoff run.

I dont care if he'd be more hated. If we got another top 15 in this draft for taking him on thats another player that would help us out of our rut and gives us two potential impact players for the future. I can put up with a couple of years of Richards if we added both Zacha and Timo Meier or Kyle Connor etc.

We're not going to be any good this season and probably not any good next season. And if Richards re-found even half of his game it'd not be a complete shambles.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He's shown a lot more than Drasati has to this point and both were high picks. It'd be one thing if you were comparing Larsson pre 2015 to him but he's a bit further along now and more proven.

Well yeah, but Draisatl is 19, I'd expect the 22 yr would have proven more.

But again if it's Draisaitl + a 2nd rndr? then heck, of coarse Im in.

And let's carry this a little further. Say we do make that trade.

Sev's moves up to Greene, and then we can sign the Vet d-man to pair with Merrill on the 2nd pairing. Which is where the Vet d-man makes sense. For it was Merrill that appeared to need that steady presense.

Much like a Gelinas trade, the options for filling the void are much more attainable(possibly in house even) then potential top line center man, which Draisaitl is.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I dont care if he'd be more hated. If we got another top 15 in this draft for taking him on thats another player that would help us out of our rut and gives us two potential impact players for the future. I can put up with a couple of years of Richards if we added both Zacha and Timo Meier or Kyle Connor etc.

We're not going to be any good this season and probably not any good next season. And if Richards re-found even half of his game it'd not be a complete shambles.

Problem is Richards contract is for another 5 years....

That means during that time, (Assuming they are still here of course) Larsson will be getting real money, Severson will getting his first real contract, Merrill will be gettig his first real contract...There is a real good chance whoever we draft at #6 will be getting a big contract all before Richards comes off the books.

Richards contract is death.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Richards is signed FIVE MORE YEARS. thats ludicrous.

not like its a 1 year thing

5 years? Someone else said 6.

It's a long time no doubt, but the draft pick would be here longer then that.

And Richards would actually be useful for us the first couple years.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
you need a good defense to win. trading larsson or severson just makes it so that the devils have to acquire another young RHD pretty soon. Santini is not near Larsson/Severson level.

Richards they can just buyout after 2-3 years the cap hit wouldn't be large by then. I think a first round pick would be worth that considering how badly the Devils need young forwards with NHL potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad