Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
What's the chances that this plays out into the start of the season? That would be the real kick in the nuts. Bratt's done it before so I wouldn't put it past him.
Can’t. It goes to arbitration, it’s a done deal. Ruling is made and we chose to accept or walk away. (Will never happen in this case ).

MauDevils

Jan 11, 2009
New Jersey
I don't know why people say this on the one hand, then on the other laud all the team-friendly deals Fitz signs. Why don't you think he's lowballing him, because he took a very minor risk with Hughes that now looks like a team-friendly deal by at least a million or so per year? Guy just signed Siegs to a deal people thought was a million or so less than he should have commanded.

Wasn't the Nico deal from Shero?

I like the Jack and Jonas deals. I think we overpaid for Palat, Vanacek and Dougie.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Let's maybe look at this from the exact opposite of what everyone thinks the two sides are asking for. What is Jesper is saying I want to be a lifetime Devil, give me an eight year $6 million per deal and Fitz is saying, nope I will give you a 2 year show me deal. Point is, we don't know so let's wait and see.
I love Bratt and want to see him hoist multiple cups at the Rock, but I also think Fitz is doing a great job of building a great team so I am not going to point fingers until we have actual facts.

NJ Devil

Jul 22, 2022
They can mutually agree on a 1-8 year extension before arbitration. If Bratt wants to get to UFA as soon as possible or net on himself for another great season / wait for more cap room to free up - he agrees to a one year deal that would ”maybe”? be higher than what the ruling might be (or a dollar amount Bratt is ok with for one year ).
If Fitz knows there is no deal that eats up any of his UFA years , then he has to settle on a one year deal (2 would be idiotic as Bratt would / could just walk after the two years).Hoping that maybe a bargain cap hit for one year returns a good asset(s) in trade
Oh of course, they can agree to any deal at all prior to arbitration

I thought the person I quoted was referring to settling the arbitration before the hearing; my point to that was that the hearing is all that there is besides submitting numbers prior, that conversation doesnt begin and then ends in a single hearing. So a 1-2 year ARB deal can only happen during tomorrow's hearing, not prior

But now that Ive laid that out I imagine that poster probably meant what you did. Finding common ground on a single-year deal where arbitration can be avoided but the likely-same resulting contract is given.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Yeah that I am not getting. Fitz MO with RFAs has been signing them to team friendly deals where their dollar amounts are most likely less then they are worth.

Which is also his job, he is supposed to try and find savings where he can. Cap space is at a premium this year. Doubtful we will be able to clear much to fit in a Bratt blank check and what we will be forced to pay Wood.

Other side though is its his agent's job to get his client as much money possible, not to sign long term team friendly deals. Bratt was our best winger last season. A top winger across the whole league. His camp clearly don't believe last year was a fluke and if it wasn't then yeah he would be an $8 million player in two years as a free agent.

Why would they take significantly less and give away 4+ UFA years with that belief?

It's a tough situation but until we get more info I don't think anyone has really done anything wrong.
The compromise solution would ordinarily be 4 years in this situation. Players gets some security and higher dollar for the short term, but can still cash in at a point where he would normally be FA eligible if he started in the NHL at 20. Team would buy two years of UFA status.

But at this point it looks like a 1 year deal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's definitely a good point, never saw it that way. With that being said, I'm still going to put more stock in Bratt's and his agent's tendency to have hard negotiations.
I think more than one thing can be true. There was absolutely no reason to have a protracted holdout that went into the season two years ago when you didn't have a leg to stand on production-wise...that one is clearly on Bratt. And Fitz has to recognize that not everyone is going to be willing to take the team-friendly deals and adjust accordingly.

Wasn't the Nico deal from Shero?

I like the Jack and Jonas deals. I think we overpaid for Palat, Vanacek and Dougie.
We did not overpay for Vanacek and the other two guys were UFA

Reactions: Guttersniped

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The compromise solution would ordinarily be 4 years in this situation. Players gets some security and higher dollar for the short term, but can still cash in at a point where he would normally be FA eligible if he started in the NHL at 20. Team would buy two years of UFA status.

But at this point it looks like a 1 year deal.

I assume/hope they are still trying to reach an agreement on a 4-5 year deal before the morning

But yeah if I was betting I would say a 1 year deal is most likely at least point.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Lou was praised for not overpaying his RFA. Now we villainize Fitz and his staff for numerous shrewd contracts. Fitz will make the most out of this situation, regardless how it plays out.
There is absolutely no way you get equal/greater value to Bratt after his arbitration award. There is only losing from this position.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lou was praised for not overpaying his RFA. Now we villainize Fitz and his staff for numerous shrewd contracts. Fitz will make the most out of this situation, regardless how it plays out.
Lou was praised for holding salaries down when players were still in servitude until they were 31 years old and we were a budget team unlike the big markets. Little different system now, you can't hold salaries of star players down indefinitely and almost everyone can spend roughly the same amount.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Just because there isn’t a deal doesn’t mean the Devils are low balling.

They lowballed the Arb, probably in hopes of getting Bratt to cave on his deal.

I guess 4 years is better than nothing, but he won’t be a Devil after that.

Reactions: Lou is God

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Just because there isn’t a deal doesn’t mean the Devils are low balling.

They lowballed the Arb, probably in hopes of getting Bratt to cave on his deal.

I guess 4 years is better than nothing, but he won’t be a Devil after that.
4 years is not great but at this point even that is not lookimg like it’s going to happen

Reactions: BurntToast

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I’m honestly unclear why people are freaking out. If this was the trade deadline, would you freak out if the Devils hadn’t made a deal the day before the deadline?

Both sides have a deadline. I’m sure discussion is happening. There’s no reason to consider the timing in any way “delayed”. Even if it goes to arbitration, it’s not awful.

What will be awful is if Bratt’s camp comes out and says it’s not working with NJ, or if Fitz says he tried and doesn’t think there’s a way to get something done for Bratt. Until that happens, I’m assuming both sides are working toward a mutually agreeable deal.

Reactions: OlfactoryHughes

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Did everyone go to bed or what they hell is going on lol. Everyone is grumpy and sick of waiting to near any news on Bratt but….
Been a lot of waiting across the board this summer, the waiting for the draft to see who the bloody hell the Habs were going to take and then waiting all day to see where Johnny G was going to sign. I'm done with the waiting.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Been a lot of waiting across the board this summer, the waiting for the draft to see who the bloody hell the Habs were going to take and then waiting all day to see where Johnny G was going to sign. I'm done with the waiting.
I’m getting a little tired of waiting as well. I was waiting since December almost for the off-season as we were out of the playoffs by then . I still watched as many games as I possibly good but essentially I have been waiting a long ass time. It was disappointing “losing“ out on Gaudreau but with the assistant coaching hires , Recchi and Naz being shit canned , moving Zacha ,Smith , and adding Nemec Palat Haula Marino Vanacek were smart moves in my opinion. Nothing really sexy but still good moves. Still hoping we can add maybe one more winger but it’s not looking good. Hopefully we can move Johnson just so we can free up a roster spot.

Last edited:

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
The anger and frustration with Bratt isn't anything other than we like him, we drafted him, we developed him, we invested in him, and want him to be a long time member of the team, and we want him to want that too. And by playing games with holding out / arbitration, wanting more money than the team can fit and still ice a top to bottom competitive team, makes that seem like we're out of sync. It's understandable.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The anger and frustration with Bratt isn't anything other than we like him, we drafted him, we developed him, we invested in him, and want him to be a long time member of the team, and we want him to want that too. And by playing games with holding out / arbitration, wanting more money than the team can fit and still ice a top to bottom competitive team, makes that seem like we're out of sync. It's understandable.
It's not even that, it's just having to deal him off because either he's being a twat or Fitz is being a miser or some combination of the two sets the neverending rebuild back even more.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Well put. It’s not that I hate the player. Moreso the way his agent handles negotiation. Which shouldn’t be a big deal but it frustrates the hell out of me .

Homedresser

Proverbs 26:4-5
Dec 7, 2021
If it makes you guys feel any better I'm hearing the only thing keeping Bratt from signing long term is the goaltending. He told Fitz he wants to see how the team does this year if they get league average goaltending. He will then decide if he wants to leave.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
If it makes you guys feel any better I'm hearing the only thing keeping Bratt from signing long term is the goaltending. He told Fitz he wants to see how the team does this year if they get league average goaltending. He will then decide if he wants to leave.
tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad