Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Random Travis Green anecdote: Joe Thornton played his last game as a Bruins against us. It was a tie game late in regulation and Boston defensive zone draw. Travis Green was a faceoff ace and taking it on his strong side but he got tossed from the dot. Thornton stepped in to take it (on his weak side) and John Madden won it clean back to Alexander Mogilny who scored. Always thought that was the final straw for Boston as they traded Thornton a day later.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Green played with Fitzgerald on 3 different teams - 92-93 Islanders, 02-03 Leafs, 05-06 Bruins.

If they were going to hire an ex-player I wanted someone with more of an offensive mind. Green's Vancouver teams were abysmal off the rush.
I was really hoping for them to somehow get Marc Savard from Windsor. Feels like he would’ve been a great mind for some of our skilled forwards.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I was really hoping for them to somehow get Marc Savard from Windsor. Feels like he would’ve been a great mind for some of our skilled forwards.

Brooks reported that supposedly Savard is only interested in a head coaching job.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Random Travis Green anecdote: Joe Thornton played his last game as a Bruins against us. It was a tie game late in regulation and Boston defensive zone draw. Travis Green was a faceoff ace and taking it on his strong side but he got tossed from the dot. Thornton stepped in to take it (on his weak side) and John Madden won it clean back to Alexander Mogilny who scored. Always thought that was the final straw for Boston as they traded Thornton a day later.

was that that the goal with about a second left on the clock?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Brooks reported that supposedly Savard is only interested in a head coaching job.
Makes sense. Thought maybe he’d have some interest here as a stepping stone to an NHL HC job like Brunette did.

A good year here in charge of PP and a skilled forward group would’ve immediately put him close to the top of the list for any vacancies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Just to note, when he was head coach of the Canucks, their powerplay ranked:

17-18 - 21.46%, 9th in NHL
18-19 - 17.13%, 22nd in NHL
19-20 - 24.15%, 4th in NHL
20-21 - 17.42%, 25th in NHL
21-22 - 17.44% before he was fired.

For the record, we finished ranked 13th this season at 21.88%.

A mixed bag, to say the least. But you never know what a coach learns from in his past. I don't have any real opinion on this until our PP goes through a rough stretch and the inevitable pile on occurs. :laugh:

This board couldn't get rid of Geoff Ward fast enough in 17-18 and we were a top 10 ranked PP that season.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

A mixed bag, to say the least. But you never know what a coach learns from in his past. I don't have any real opinion on this until our PP goes through a rough stretch and the inevitable pile on occurs. :laugh:

This board couldn't get rid of Geoff Ward fast enough in 17-18 and we were a top 10 ranked PP that season.

I don't think Travis Green is being hired to run the power play. Could be wrong, but it feels like he's taking over running the forwards and Brylin or someone else will run the PP.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami

We could have Edmonton’s PP and fans would bitch. People expect a PP to score every time.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
was that that the goal with about a second left on the clock?

Looks like it was 32 seconds left. No mention of Green in the ESPN recap:

With the game seemingly headed to overtime, John Madden won a faceoff in the Bruins' end from Joe Thornton and drew the puck back to Mogilny, who whipped a shot past Andrew Raycroft.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Our PP was 13th last year, while that’s not perfect and the PP was frustrating at parts, it’s far from bad. Reading here sometimes you’d think our PP was bottom 5 though lol.
when you have the 2nd best 5-on-5 offense in the league, the 13th best powerplay can't be considered anything other than disappointing. I didn't want Brunette fired by any stretch of the imagination but it's not unfair to expect more (especially when you go 6-for-36 in the playoffs, yuck).

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
when you have the 2nd best 5-on-5 offense in the league, the 13th best powerplay can't be considered anything other than disappointing. I didn't want Brunette fired by any stretch of the imagination but it's not unfair to expect more (especially when you go 6-for-36 in the playoffs, yuck).

meh, I don't think the two are as related as you think

the Devils bread and butter on offense at 5 on 5 is scoring off the rush, and that is obviously much less prevalent when you are on the PP since the defending team is already in their zone set up waiting for you.

we all want an improved PP, especially given what we saw down the stretch and in the playoffs, I just don't think it was THAT bad.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Power play offense and ES offense don't have a lot to do with one another. They can often take quite different skill sets, and I think that gap has only widened in the last 20 years.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
meh, I don't think the two are as related as you think

the Devils bread and butter on offense at 5 on 5 is scoring off the rush, and that is obviously much less prevalent when you are on the PP since the defending team is already in their zone set up waiting for you.

we all want an improved PP, especially given what we saw down the stretch and in the playoffs, I just don't think it was THAT bad.
I didn't think it was "THAT" bad either, but it certainly wasn't good (and it certainly wasn't good enough in the playoffs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad