Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I disagree with how the point is made.

I think Vegas is a much better model than Florida, and their strategy is clearer to execute. Vegas paid for elite talent. And elite talent got them the cup. Even Florida eventually did that with Tkachuk.

I think you mean not to overpay for middling talent. That I fully agree with. If the Ducks needed to dump Henrique, he’d be worth considering. But, he’s not good enough to be worth getting into a bidding war for.

Vegas inherited a smaller core (Marchessaault, Karlsson, Smith). The new expansion rules gave them a ton of depth everywhere except center.

Their brand became size with speed complimentary players, they filled their line-up with cheaper finds that fit that description. They’ve become one the biggest teams in the NHL despite starting off with a bunch of smaller skilled forwards.

They also struggled with a lack of centers, at first they could only pick up star wingers because they’re easier to get (Tatar>Pacioretty, Stone) but they finally got that real 1C with Eichel.

Vegas is a lesson on not spend big on your depth and growing them yourself by identifying the type of players you want. Florida is too. In both cases their cap crunch had been mothers of invention. (And they’ve both made mistakes, it happens lol.)

So spending assets in order to spend +5m on a 3rd liner UFA is gross. It’s not the right approach to filling out depth.

Moves like Siegenthaler is, which is very Vegas/Florida. Get younger guys who can play how you want them to play as your complimentary players. Pro scouting is crucial.

Last edited:

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Haula-Hughes-Mercer
Meier-Hischier-Bratt
Henrique/Palat-Boqvist/Henrique-Holtz
Lazar-McLeod-Bastian

I kinda like this.

Last edited:

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Haula-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Hischier-Bratt
Henrique/Foote-Boqvist/Henrique-Holtz
Lazar-McLeod-Bastian

I kinda like this.

No Meier in here....

Also if you add a guy like Henrique you could really role 3 great lines:
Haula - Hughes - Holtz/Random UFA winger?
Palat - Hischier - Bratt
Meier - Henrique - Mercer
Foote - McLeod - Bastian
Lazar, Thompson/Clarke

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Do we think Boqvist is back next season? I lean towards no
I'd 100% bring him back and I'd sign him for 2-3 years if possible.

He's not gonna cost a lot, he has embraced his bottom-6 role (even if he was always seen as a finesse guy), he's a good forechecker who can chip in offensively once in a while. He's also pretty good defensively. We could do a lot worse in terms of bottom-6 guys. I've liked his play a lot in the bottom-6 last season.

Camille the Eel

Boqvist was a key player for us last year. His skating, speed and ability to carry the puck, the fluid nature of his game, were great assets.

He also quietly broke out and contributed more offensively, reaching 10 goals despite a number of memorable misses. Also contributing some big assists. He has good hands and is improving his shot.

We definitely should bring him back. He, McLeod and Haula (if possible).

Tatar was also a major contributor but I can see letting him walk simply to save money and make room for other youngsters or acquisitions to crack the lineup.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Boqvist was a key player for us last year. His skating, speed and ability to carry the puck, the fluid nature of his game, were great assets.

He also quietly broke out and contributed more offensively, reaching 10 goals despite a number of memorable misses. Also contributing some big assists. He has good hands and is improving his shot.

We definitely should bring him back. He, McLeod and Haula (if possible).

Tatar was also a major contributor but I can see letting him walk simply to save money and make room for other youngsters or acquisitions to crack the lineup.
I don't know if I'd call him a key player.

He's made strides, but he needs to make more. Again, the fact that he was squeezed out of the lineup in the playoffs suggests Ruff is looking for more from that lineup spot.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I would be all in favor of bringing him back too, but I'm just not sure if management feels that way. And I wouldn't blame them if they didn't want to bring him back.

But I would definitely be in favor of signing him to a 2-3 year deal at $900K-1.1 million AAV

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
why wouldnt you bring him back...? He's cheap depth

from the sounds of it, Sharangovich is on the market and hes the one that probably goes

Reactions: Lou is God

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

He's made strides, but he needs to make more. Again, the fact that he was squeezed out of the lineup in the playoffs suggests Ruff is looking for more from that lineup spot.
To be fair, Ruff also say Hughes until the last possible moment, used Brendan Smith, and let Wood take dumb penalties for two games despite him doing it all season.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
I disagree with how the point is made.

I think Vegas is a much better model than Florida, and their strategy is clearer to execute. Vegas paid for elite talent. And elite talent got them the cup. Even Florida eventually did that with Tkachuk.

I think you mean not to overpay for middling talent. That I fully agree with. If the Ducks needed to dump Henrique, he’d be worth considering. But, he’s not good enough to be worth getting into a bidding war for.
Yeah, I’m talking about non core pieces. I have no problem paying up for a Timo Meier, but if we’re talking about complimentary players I think it’s a better strategy to trust your NHL scouting to find under the radar players that can thrive in your system for cheap. After all the Devils got beat by a team that played Noesen, Fast and Martinook in pivotal roles.

Camille the Eel

He was moved out a bunch of times during the season when I generally disagreed with Ruff’s lineup decisions. I felt we were generally a stronger team with him on the ice because it improved our speed, mobility and creativity. Puck possession was I believed better, transition and zone entries with the puck on his stick. But fans are bellyaching about every decision to bench or play particular players. I do like Boqvist. He has a tool box you don’t find in many players. You can find a dozen guys along the lines of say a Bastian. Whereas Boqvist is a much more gifted skater and has better hands and skating is really our game.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
To be fair, Ruff also say Hughes until the last possible moment, used Brendan Smith, and let Wood take dumb penalties for two games despite him doing it all season.
Wood, despite being benched for however many games, also scored the 2nd most 5v5 goals on the team in the playoffs. But 6th in penalties.

And Fitz signed Smith very much for his playoff presence.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He was moved out a bunch of times during the season when I generally disagreed with Ruff’s lineup decisions. I felt we were generally a stronger team with him on the ice because it improved our speed, mobility and creativity. Puck possession was I believed better, transition and zone entries with the puck on his stick. But fans are bellyaching about every decision to bench or play particular players. I do like Boqvist. He has a tool box you don’t find in many players. You can find a dozen guys along the lines of say a Bastian. Whereas Boqvist is a much more gifted skater and has better hands and skating is really our game.
I've been a Boq supporter since before it was fashionable, but he had zero points and 3 sog's in 6 games in the playoffs. Tied for 14th with Siegs in points in the regular season

I agree that given he can be brought back on the cheap it does make sense to do so, but I'm thinking the team would like more aggressiveness from that spot. And maybe if Boq is able to do that he is able to take another step fwd.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
What’s the ask on that Sharangovich?
I’m not sure it’s that cut and dried with him. NJ might want a similarly situated player who could fill a different role for them. Maybe an on the cusp goalie prospect or a defensive center with some physical element for example. Failing that probably whatever the best draft pick might be.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
What’s the ask on that Sharangovich?
the thought around here is his value is a late 2nd early 3rd which the Av's don't have. Behrens is obviously off the table and I'm guessing Foudy and Olausson are as well.

The only thing I can see is a potential RFA swap with Sharangovich and Newhook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad