Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2022-23 season thread part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Don't agree with this at all but on the trade board someone said that Luke hughes is better compared to Hanifin and Nemec is more Makar like.

I just don't see it.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
The board play and stickwork seem almost night and day

The short passes also.
Don't agree with this at all but on the trade board someone said that Luke hughes is better compared to Hanifin and Nemec is more Makar like.

I just don't see it.

I can see it if you're talking about draft day. Hanifin had questions about his offensive abilities just like Luke did.

Reactions: Xirik

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Sort of but not too much. After 12 games we were 7-3-2 which was 8th in the league in Pt%. We were 10th in AS xG% and 14th in 5v5 xG%. So our record was outperforming the numbers a bit but it was nothing crazy with the numbers still were suggesting we were pretty good

Edit: Without Jack for almost all of that as well

We were 7-3-2 but we had 2 SO wins and 2 OT wins in those 7 wins. We had a total of 19 regulation wins last season and we already have 6 now in 9 GP.

Winning in regulation is a lot different than winning coin flip OT games.

It took 24 games to get to 7 regulation wins last season, I’m confident that 7th one is coming a lot sooner this season.

I just don't see it.

That poster is a Nemec super-fan, it’s better to just appreciate his enthusiasm about Nemec.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I think we'll know we turned the corner if we have a dumpster fire game and then tack two wins on after it.

That's exactly what I'm waiting for (not that I want us to have a crap game). If we recover next game I'll be more convinced that we've matured enough for me to believe.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We actually had a 12 or 13 game winning streak against the Canucks that was finally snapped in our second meeting last year. Maybe it was only a 10 or 11 game streak?

I remember when they beat us in the game in Vancouver late last year, it was their first win over us since 2014 in Vancouver. So we probably beat them 5 straight times in Vancouver and we haven't lost to them at home in even longer than that. We didn't play there or them in 2020-2021 and we did win the home game against them.

I think we blew them out in the home game last year? I remember Halak started and I think he got yanked. It was also not very early in the season. Think Daws was playing with Gillies almost permanently exiled to the bench by that point.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I bet Vancouver hasn't beaten us at home since Cory Schneider vs Martin Brodeur was the goalie matchup lol.

We really need to keep it going and get another win tomorrow night.

The home and home with Calgary is kind of weird for two teams that play thousands of miles away from one another.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I bet Vancouver hasn't beaten us at home since Cory Schneider vs Martin Brodeur was the goalie matchup lol.

We really need to keep it going and get another win tomorrow night.

The home and home with Calgary is kind of weird for two teams that play thousands of miles away from one another.

Apparently it was this game, lol.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
That's exactly what I'm waiting for (not that I want us to have a crap game). If we recover next game I'll be more convinced that we've matured enough for me to believe.
The difference will be if we can not have a multi game losing streak . Every team is going to have a slump or two but not letting a 3 game skid turn into 5/6/7.
Win vs . Canucks and split in Alberta and I’ll be happy . Then back home to get ready fir Calgary again .

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Apparently it was this game, lol.

That game was in Vancouver, but that was their last win over us until they beat us last year in Vancouver.

They actually did beat us at home since Schneider vs Brodeur squared off, but it was Schneider vs Luongo and a 3-2 shootout loss back in October of 2013. Eric Gelinas got his first career goal that night.

Reactions: Guadana

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think the Avs were a tremendous test. The question is whether we can kinda continue this, or if we lose interest and get lackadaisical again like we do every few games.

The 2 or 3 solid games in a row, and 6 of 7 is something new though... not at all like the last few years where we _rarely_ strung wins together - and we'd go on prolonged dumpster fire streaks.

I think we'll know we turned the corner if we have a dumpster fire game and then tack two wins on after it.

The response since they laid that egg against Washington was very encouraging.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Remember this Vancouver game?

Vancouver fans wanted blood even though it was Canucks players skating into their own teamates head while he was on the ice.

I think I count a devils stick, two Vancouver skates and a Devils skate to the head. Not to mention the fact it was the Canucks players making the choice to after Hall right there.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Vancouver fans wanted blood even though it was Canucks players skating into their own teamates head while he was on the ice.

I think I count a devils stick, two Vancouver skates and a Devils skate to the head. Not to mention the fact it was the Canucks players making the choice to after Hall right there.

Hall crushed him and then like 3 players kicked him in the head in the scrum.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I was at this game and I was sitting like 10 rows off the ice, right by where that hit was.

No joke I thought Hall killed this guy

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I was at this game and I was sitting like 10 rows off the ice, right by where that hit was.

No joke I thought Hall killed this guy
He only lasted one year before heading to the KHL and doing quite good for himself. Pobably thought "I get injured and my own team kicks me in the head?! this league is dangerous..."

Hall crushed him and then like 3 players kicked him in the head in the scrum.
and even worse after they kick him they barely step over his head with those sharp skates.

Reactions: glenwo2

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
The board has been in good moods lately and I hope it stays even if we lose to Vancouver or even to all three teams. The team has proven it can dominate games and compete with the best, especially when the goaltending is on point. There's gonna be some set backs eventually and goalies (and skaters) will have bad nights. We might lose games we should win and in the same stretch face cup contending teams as well. But I think Ruff and the team has earned some patience and believe from us, that they can eventually turn it around and go to another win streak even if they lose some here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland