Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Henrique is also in a barren wasteland of offense. I'd like to see how O'Reilly would do if he and Henrique switched places. Duchene, Mackinnon and Landeskog would all be our best forward at this point.

It would be interesting to see the two switch places and what the outcome would be...Henrique led the team in goals last season and he is leading the team in points this season. He doesn't have a lot of help here that is for sure. He put up 50+ points playing with Parise and Kovalchuk as a rookie and he really made that line click when he got the opportunity.

I think we underrate Henrique quite a bit here.

Last edited:

NHL Fanatik*

It would be interesting to see the two switch places and what the outcome would be...Henrique led the team in goals last season and he is leading the team in points this season. He doesn't have a lot of help here that is for sure. He put up 50+ points playing with Parise and Kovalchuk as a rookie and he really made that line click when he got the opportunity.

I think we underrate Henrique quite a bit here.

Exactly.

And someone will overpay for OReilly.

HF overrates intangibles a LOT.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Meh, it was always going to be a tough season. If you want more positive signs look at the defense and Schneider. Merrill took a bit of a step back but I think a lot of the criticism around him is overblown. Larsson has taken a HUGE step forward. Severson emerged as great player right off the hop. Greene continues to be a great mentor for the kids. And Schneider has proven he can be a legit starting goalie in this league, putting up excellent numbers on a bad team.

It's sad we have to take positives out of Tootoo and Gomez, but there are plenty of other positives to look at that will also have an impact on the future of this team.

I was going to add the following to my previous post and yes I'm a pessimist when it comes to this team.

It's just another lost season in limbo, we suck at sucking real bad so we won't get a high pick and we suck just enough to no make the playoffs. I really am struggling to find anything good about this year or any progression other than Cory showing he can be a true starter and Larsson stepping up and maybe Cammy's play. I'm giving Severson and Gelinas an incomplete and Merrill has been up and down. I'm not as high as others are on our D, sure we have some solid guys but none of these guys scream "stud" just yet. It's still early so I hope they prove me wrong. Hopefully they'll emerge more like a solid cohesive unit that can compliment each other with their skill sets so a true number one is not needed.

We've had zero progress for any of our forward prospects which is disturbing. Hopefully that gets addressed soon.

I really hope Lou can flip some guys at the deadline but finding a willing partner could be tough which will add another layer to this **** sandwich.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I was going to add the following to my previous post and yes I'm a pessimist when it comes to this team.

It's just another lost season in limbo, we suck at sucking real bad so we won't get a high pick and we suck just enough to no make the playoffs. I really am struggling to find anything good about this year or any progression other than Cory showing he can be a true starter and Larsson stepping up and maybe Cammy's play. I'm giving Severson and Gelinas an incomplete and Merrill has been up and down. I'm not as high as others are on our D, sure we have some solid guys but none of these guys scream "stud" just yet. It's still early so I hope they prove me wrong. Hopefully they'll emerge more like a solid cohesive unit that can compliment each other with their skill sets so a true number one is not needed.

We've had zero progress for any of our forward prospects which is disturbing. Hopefully that gets addressed soon.

I really hope Lou can flip some guys at the deadline but finding a willing partner could be tough which will add another layer to this **** sandwich.

Even if there is no stud when you look at the defense as a group it is excellent. I hope none of them are moved

Severson has it all in my opinion, hockey IQ , smooth skating, a bit of flair...He has all the tools. This ankle injury is really unfortunate but this will be our best defenseman. Not even a doubt.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Even if there is no stud when you look at the defense as a group it is excellent. I hope none of them are moved

Severson has it all in my opinion, hockey IQ , smooth skating, a bit of flair...He has all the tools. This ankle injury is really unfortunate but this will be our best defenseman. Not even a doubt.

After your bolded part I did say they can be a solid unit collectively and may not need a true number one.

Yeah that really injury really set Severson back, that's why I gave him an incomplete.

GhostofKenKlee

Landeskog is such a better forward than Henrique...do you mean comparable in terms of style? Landeskog outshone Henrique's 22-year-old rookie season at 18.

So now we are comparing a SECOND OVERALL lottery player to Henrique.

He's so much better:

Landskog NHL TOTALS 259 72 100 172 points.

Henrique: NHL TOTALS 246 64 77 141 points.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tootoo passed Zubrus in points last game.

HAHAHAhA.

Zubrus sucks.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
After your bolded part I did say they can be a solid unit collectively and may not need a true number one.

Yeah that really injury really set Severson back, that's why I gave him an incomplete.

You have to remember where Gelinas and Merrill are in their development curve also...they are both around 100 games, that is probably the toughest time frame for any defenseman trying to find his place in the NHL.

I would also add that Merrill has been playing very well recently, having Zidlicky as his partner is no easy task for a young player either.

GhostofKenKlee

So I guess we will conveniently ignore the big gap in age?

What does age have to do with it? What's with all the ageist here? Good hockey player is good, regardless of age.

The original comment was Landskog was a "way better player" I just merely pointed out that the stats alone, forget the realities suggest otherwise.

How about Landskog was 2nd. overall?

Henrique was the 82nd. overall pick in his draft.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

Larsson will be as close to a "stud" as it gets. I think he can put up 40 points next season. He's a new player with Deboer gone. We're finally seeing why he was a top 5 pick.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Tootoo passed Zubrus in points last game.

HAHAHAhA.

Zubrus sucks.

I watched Bone Dust (Zubrus) closely on Saturday.

He gives a 110% effort, but he's definitely cooked as a NHL player.

That sequence where he coughed up the puck then took a penalty in the 2nd period just about summed up his season.

Last edited:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
What does age have to do with it? What's with all the ageist here? Good hockey player is good, regardless of age.

The original comment was Landskog was a "way better player" I just merely pointed out that the stats alone, forget the realities suggest otherwise.

Henrique was a third overall 82nd. overall.

Please succinctly explain to me why you're bringing up their draft position as if it has some sort of relevance.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
When Oduya-Martin were paired together, who played the right side? I can't help but notice that both of them are UFAs next year, and there's a solid chance one of them returns if Zidlicky does not. Not only that, but the biggest gap on our defense next year is who is the last RD behind Severson and Larsson. I could easily see one of them returning at this stage.

Greene-Larsson
Merill-Severson
Gelinas-Oduya

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Henrique was the 82nd. overall pick in his draft.

Compare Landeskogs 22-25 year old seasons when the time comes against Henrique. I'm willing to bet Landeskog absolutely blows him out of the water.

And age has a lot to do with it. An 18, 19, and 20 year old player performing in a mans league -- as a captain no less -- is a lot more impressive than a 22, 23, or 24 year old producing similar numbers.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If people can ignore the offensive talent that surrounds Landeskog we can overlook 3 years ;)

In his 18-19 year old season, Landeskog outscored 22-year-old Henrique while playing with Ryan O'Reilly and Milan Hejduk. Yeah, definitely a better situation than playing between Parise and Kovalchuk.

GhostofKenKlee

Compare Landeskogs 22-25 year old seasons when the time comes against Henrique. I'm willing to bet Landeskog absolutely blows him out of the water.

And age has a lot to do with it. An 18, 19, and 20 year old player performing in a mans league -- as a captain no less -- is a lot more impressive than a 22, 23, or 24 year old producing similar numbers.

lol, there is so much hyperhole in this statement.

Again, the statement was how a second overall lottery pick was vastly superior to Henrique. Stats and reality suggest otherwise.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
In his 18-19 year old season, Landeskog outscored 22-year-old Henrique while playing with Ryan O'Reilly and Milan Hejduk. Yeah, definitely a better situation than playing between Parise and Kovalchuk.

That accounts for about 65 games of Henriques 246 game career.

GhostofKenKlee

Please succinctly explain to me why you're bringing up their draft position as if it has some sort of relevance.

You made the outlandish comment to begin with and yes is relevant. But again, you made the assertion that Landskog is way better than Henrique. I was merely pointing out that Gabriel was a lottery pick and projected to be a talent. He should have some cache.

Yeah, Draft positions mean nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad