Devils Team Discussion (current team/player news and notes) ‎2014-2015 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
I don't understand why some here think we should be buyers and go for the playoffs. There would be 6 teams going after 1 spot. Let's say we go for it, and Coumbus and Ottawa back out and sell. That's still 4 teams going after 1 spot, and we are 8 points back and have played the most games of any of them!

Does anyone really think we are better than Boston? Better than Philly or Florida? I mean, I guess so, because people have playoffs on their minds, but let's no pretend like all we have to do is earn 8 more points than the Bruins do the rest of the season, we also have to beat out a bunch of other teams. Please Lou, get rid of the old guys, and our players will still play hard. I just don't want to see us as 'buyers'....

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
Devils aren't buying. There's an outside shot Lou makes a "hockey trade" for future years too, but it's not like the Devils have a lot of desirable assets to move or that are willing to move.

Our action/excitement will have to wait for June/July.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
watch us buy, finish 2 points out and end up with pick 14 ugh

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
While watching the pregame skate I had a feeling that Greene would score.

I'm glad he did before someone started one of those websites like they did for Gomez while he was in Montreal.

yea, thats exactly what would've happened.

thank GOD he scored, since he never contributes in any other ways.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
MFW watching the trade deadline coverage

8dZku0c.gif

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
We aren't making the playoffs. Lord almighty. Two wins against the other dregs in the league sends folks on this board into crazy pill mode.

I confess that as a whole the team dynamic and jump in play has improved a bit. But this roster is still a total mess and they're not competitive/functional/skilled enough in certain areas.

We will probably finish drafting somewhere in the 6-9 range.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
23 games left. We would have to get W in like 17 of them to have a chance. 17-6 isn't a crazy streak, but i won't bet on it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think anyone's actually said they'll make the playoffs or even that they have a good chance at the playoffs. It's nice to maybe possibly have a pulse if you're not wrapped up in maxing out every last draft spot. Having a full half season of meaningless games is just way too long.

The fact they might have 'a' chance will definitely influence the trade deadline though. Still, I don't think there's any circumstance where we actually spend a high price to buy a rental player, that kind of worry is jumping the shark a bit. At best the Devils might get five points out at the deadline. That's not a position where you buy anything other than the Dollar General type sales (i.e. Sullivan for a 7th)

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I don't understand why some here think we should be buyers and go for the playoffs. There would be 6 teams going after 1 spot. Let's say we go for it, and Coumbus and Ottawa back out and sell. That's still 4 teams going after 1 spot, and we are 8 points back and have played the most games of any of them!

Does anyone really think we are better than Boston? Better than Philly or Florida? I mean, I guess so, because people have playoffs on their minds, but let's no pretend like all we have to do is earn 8 more points than the Bruins do the rest of the season, we also have to beat out a bunch of other teams. Please Lou, get rid of the old guys, and our players will still play hard. I just don't want to see us as 'buyers'....

My friend, what we think means squat, it's what LL thinks and there is the problem. He's sees 8 points.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Cammo's shot% of 20.40 has to be one of the highest in the league for players that get a regular shift.

Leads the NHL with at least 90 shots.

1. Camm 20.4%
2. Foligno 18.9%
3. Little 18.9%
4. Cole 18.5%
5. Hudler 18.1%

It is actually #2 since 2012-13

1. Bozak 21.1% 2013-14
2. Cammalleri 20.4% 2014-15
3. Stamkos 20.2% 2013-14
4. Marchand 19.8% 2012-13
5. Tlusty 19.7% 2012-13

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Leads the NHL with at least 90 shots.

1. Camm 20.4%
2. Foligno 18.9%
3. Little 18.9%
4. Cole 18.5%
5. Hudler 18.1%

It is actually #2 since 2012-13

1. Bozak 21.1% 2013-14
2. Cammalleri 20.4% 2014-15
3. Stamkos 20.2% 2013-14
4. Marchand 19.8% 2012-13
5. Tlusty 19.7% 2012-13

Thnx for digging that up.

I think our forwards should shoot more in general.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I don't think we should be buyers. I want use to lose and get a chance at a top pick, in all honesty. Here is what I do think though.

The Devils should trade Jagr. He's been out of favor with the new coaching staff, his minutes have been reduced tremendously (12 minutes last game) and he hasn't really been a big factor in our games recently. You sell Jagr for prospects or picks, Ryder if you can too, and then keep Havlat. Call up someone like Boucher or Matteau and maybe plug them in somewhere. I'm thinking more and more that Zidlicky is going to want to stay so I doubt that trade option would be available.

Roll with something like this:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Tootoo
Henrique-Elias-Havlat
Ruutu-Gomez-Bernier
Zubrus-Josefson-Gionta

If we somehow make the playoffs with that, then so be it. Would be a miracle if that happened though.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I can't believe a couple wins against some of the worst teams in the league can ignite such debate.

We're not making the playoffs. Just running out the clock and developing our guys with a good collective attitude.

If Lou is ever going to play the percentages, now's the time.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I can't believe a couple wins against some of the worst teams in the league can ignite such debate.

We're not making the playoffs. Just running out the clock and developing our guys with a good collective attitude.

I'm astonished as well.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
You know what pisses me off? Just last month on January 3rd we defeated the Flyers 5-2 and Jagr had a hat trick. Our reaction was lukewarm as we were happy with the win, but many of us felt that the Devils should go in full tank mode and WE THOUGHT THE FLYERS WERE IN THE SAME BOAT AS US!!!! But the Flyers decided to go for the playoffs! I would happily trade places with that team today. After today's win over the Capitals the Flyers are only 2 points out of a playoff spot and will play meaningful hockey for the rest of the season.

After the January 3rd game

Devils 14-20-7
Flyers 14-18-7

Record for both teams since January 3rd

Devils 10-6-2 22 points earned in 18 games
Flyers 12-5-4 28 points earned in 21 games

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I'm astonished as well.

I feel like the debate is more of just realism knowing that Lou would never give up on a potential playoff run, no matter how slim the percentage, in an attempt to go for a lower draft pick.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I agree totally. The man will buy if he believes he has a shot at the 8th seed.

What did he buy last year? Ruutu, I suppose but that wasn't a total rental trade either. What did he buy two years ago, Sullivan? Pretty much nothing and they were a lot closer those years than they will be this year.

I feel like the debate is more of just realism knowing that Lou would never give up on a potential playoff run, no matter how slim the percentage, in an attempt to go for a lower draft pick.

I don't get how people know this for certain...the only time they've been in a spot like THIS was 2011. And they did 'sell' Arnott and Langs, and just kept the guys they wanted to sign like Greene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad