Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Ben Lovejoy

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Lovejoy was a top 4 D man on a Stanley Cup winning team. He is NOT going to be playing on the NJD 3rd pairing. Hell, he might be on your top pairing. He is a poor man's Paul Martin that ices the puck a lot. He's probably better offensively than PaulMart though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lovejoy was a top 4 D man on a Stanley Cup winning team. He is NOT going to be playing on the NJD 3rd pairing. Hell, he might be on your top pairing. He is a poor man's Paul Martin that ices the puck a lot. He's probably better offensively than PaulMart though.

He won't be on our top pairing.

Right now he will be on our second pairing. It makes the most sense for us as it puts two vets with two kids on two pairings.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Schlemko is really a dime a dozen defenseman, teases you with offensive skills but never wins you over completely.

I would agree with this. His defense was all that great but I think if he had a better partner he could be s very useful 5/6.

But I doubt we are giving up much letting Santini be that 5/6 dman.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Just b/c pens won the cup, doesn't mean Lovejoy is a top 4 dman.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
He won't be on our top pairing.

Right now he will be on our second pairing. It makes the most sense for us as it puts two vets with two kids on two pairings.

A trade for Fowler would really solidify things.

Greene-Severson
Fowler-Lovejoy

Would be a very decent top4

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Just b/c pens won the cup, doesn't mean Lovejoy is a top 4 dman.

He played top four minutes on the Ducks and on the Penguins. He doesn't have to play top four minutes, but I don't think he'll be some kind of disaster doing it. I believe he'll be competent and steady if he's in our top four. Really I could see our fans coming to appreciate this signing more as the year progresses. I feel that this was a very shrewd move by Shero.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
deal is fine

I was at work and saw it was 4yrs but couldnt see AAV. was worried it was like 4M lol.

2.6 is okay

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Schlemko is really a dime a dozen defenseman, teases you with offensive skills but never wins you over completely.

No, Schlemko is very good. He's not great, but he's very good at being at what he is. I see why the Devils didn't re-sign him, but he's way better than John Moore, and I'd much rather have him than Moore.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
He played top four minutes on the Ducks and on the Penguins. He doesn't have to play top four minutes, but I don't think he'll be some kind of disaster doing it. I believe he'll be competent and steady if he's in our top four. Really I could see our fans coming to appreciate this signing more as the year progresses. I feel that this was a very shrewd move by Shero.

The ducks are exactly loaded on the right side. They have Vantenen. Pens D is not a strong group as a whole relative to other teams. They played Letang 50% of the game and are stacked up front. If Lovejoy was really a top 4 Dman (laughable to suggest he is), then he would be signed for a lot more than $2.67 million per, especially considering he just won the cup and is a RHD. Maybe its not a disaster, but it also isn't ideal if its long-term, which I don't see how it could possibly be that.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
No, Schlemko is very good. He's not great, but he's very good at being at what he is. I see why the Devils didn't re-sign him, but he's way better than John Moore, and I'd much rather have him than Moore.

No, he's not very good, if he was he wouldn't be playing for his 5th team in THREE years. He's a competent defenseman. That's about it.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
For those knowledgeable about NJ, NJ is a terrific place to live.

The problem is many people have preconceived notions about NJ and almost all of them are false.

Now that we're playing in Ironbound, sure.

The preconceived notions about the Meadowlands were all true. It's a disgusting swamp, the parking is a nightmare and there's very little public transportation to speak of.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
his HERO chart places him slap-bang in the middle of top-4 D

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Now that we're playing in Ironbound, sure.

The preconceived notions about the Meadowlands were all true. It's a disgusting swamp, the parking is a nightmare and there's very little public transportation to speak of.

I absolutely loved going to games at the Meadowlsnds. I enjoyed tailgating in the parking lot. I enjoyed catching the last 3 races at the track. The sightlines were awesome, far better than the new areas. I loved the old barn.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
The ducks are exactly loaded on the right side. They have Vantenen. Pens D is not a strong group as a whole relative to other teams. They played Letang 50% of the game and are stacked up front. If Lovejoy was really a top 4 Dman (laughable to suggest he is), then he would be signed for a lot more than $2.67 million per, especially considering he just won the cup and is a RHD. Maybe its not a disaster, but it also isn't ideal if its long-term, which I don't see how it could possibly be that.

It's not ideal, but it's much better than signing another supposed offensive defenseman with mashed turnips for brains. Lovejoy is a steady player who we can pair our younger defensemen with. It's not like you are going to find a ton of top four right-handed defenseman on the market. This was a good signing considering what was on the market and what he can bring to our team. If no more additions are made to our defense this year, I think he can handle top four minutes in a sort of defense by committee fashion. That doesn't mean he has to play top four minutes the rest of his contract. Ideally, our defense matures or other acquisitions are made that would make that unnecessary, but given the hole Larsson leaves on our defense, Lovejoy helps to fill it more than an offensive defenseman would. I think people are going to warm up to this signing the more they see Lovejoy play for us. We're going to have a defense by committee backed up by our brilliant goalie but that's worth it to acquire Taylor Hall who should transform our offense. I'm happy with this signing and this off-season overall.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
The Reverend Lovejoy has converted to Athiesm :laugh:

I'm fine with it, he can help solidify the middle pairing and we can see what we have with the bottom 2 in the stockpile of Santini, Mozik, Scarlett, Helgeson, Merrill/Moore.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Pretty good signing. Proved himself to be a leader & a rock on defense.

Devils have really followed the Pens' blueprint. You guys should have a pretty good team next season.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So do we expect Merrill-Lovejoy, or Moore-Lovejoy, maybe Auvittu?

Whoever it is Lovejoy will be expected to be that solidifying presence.

Best case imo is Lovejoy is to Merrill as we hope Greene is to Sev's.

TheRobotDevil13

Jun 3, 2016
Hell
The Reverend Lovejoy has converted to Athiesm :laugh:

I'm fine with it, he can help solidify the middle pairing and we can see what we have with the bottom 2 in the stockpile of Santini, Mozik, Scarlett, Helgeson, Merrill/Moore.

Welcome to hell Glad to have Lovejoy aboard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad