Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Ben Lovejoy

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Shero knows we have to upgrade the D if we want to win a cup, but he's not going to overpay on term to get there inmediately. This is an excellent stopgap signing, and with Schneider in net it should be perfectly functional. Love it!

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Also just realized BLJ plays right side too so they're not even related (Schlemko) far as Devs D is concerned. I was trying to get on forums on phone while at the vet and it was all I could do just keeping up with the frenzy =)

I do wish DS best of luck though, he worked out much better than some of our experiments over the past couple years.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I wouldn't mind Lovejoy as a third pairing guy. But as a top 4 option? I'm not so sure that's going to work out well.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
New Jersey Devils ‏@NJDevils 1m1 minute ago
Lovejoy on fitting into the #NJDevils system: “I’m coming to be a leader and try to help young defenseman."

Pretty much what we're all saying about mentoring and being a stopgap until our guys are ready.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Schlemko is better than Lovejoy. Not signing him is not quite as stupid as not signing Stralman, but it is somewhat akin to that. He was their best D man at times last season. This is a pretty major misstep by Shero IMO.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Schlemko is better than Lovejoy. Not signing him is not quite as stupid as not signing Stralman, but it is somewhat akin to that. He was their best D man at times last season. This is a pretty major misstep by Shero IMO.

Needed more of a shutdown guy over a puck mover with Larsson gone

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Term was key. 4 yrs down the line our defenseman coming up will be glad there's a spot still open for them to try for

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Needed more of a shutdown guy over a puck mover with Larsson gone

Schlemko was fine defensively.

Term was key. 4 yrs down the line our defenseman coming up will be glad there's a spot still open for them to try for

Maybe. I don't like the idea of letting a good player go because you think you might have a better prospect 2 or 3 years down the road from playing in the league.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

to be fair, you could've said the same thing a few years ago when it looked like Merrill, Gelinas, Urbom, etc were going to be anchoring our D

not all of our guys are gonna make it. I feel confident Santini will but beyond that, meh

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
New Jersey Devils ‏@NJDevils 1m1 minute ago
Lovejoy on fitting into the #NJDevils system: “I’m coming to be a leader and try to help young defenseman."

Pretty much what we're all saying about mentoring and being a stopgap until our guys are ready.

It's an underrated part of the signing...now they can have a vet on each of the top two pairings as opposed to just on one.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
There's really nothing to not like about this deal. Solid deal for a solid player. The more I learn about him the more I love the fit.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

Schlemko gets a choice in where he signs. Shero can't make Schlemko sign, and I can't blame Schlemko for choosing the Sharks over the Devils.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Interview on NHL Network now. I like Lovejoy's attitude a lot.

I think he likes Hall.

"Taylor Hall is awesome. He is an elite player. He is so fast and you have to respect him on the ice at all times."

On another note - He was talking about being able to live a suburban lifestyle and not big city. I wonder if that's an attraction players have to playing in NJ vs NYC. People say it's an unattractive place to play but I don't buy that at all. If not suburbs, Hoboken is cheaper than the city and you can just take the Path.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I was saying this deal since the Larsson trade and people just kept saying Lovejoy wasn't good.

This is the perfect acquisition for us to temporarily fill the shutdown void Larsson creates, but also allows Santini/Jacobs/Mozik the chance at 3RD and to transition to 2RD in the near future.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I think he likes Hall.

"Taylor Hall is awesome. He is an elite player. He is so fast and you have to respect him on the ice at all times."

On another note - He was talking about being able to live a suburban lifestyle and not big city. I wonder if that's an attraction players have to playing in NJ vs NYC. People say it's an unattractive place to play but I don't buy that at all. If not suburbs, Hoboken is cheaper than the city and you can just take the Path.

For those knowledgeable about NJ, NJ is a terrific place to live.

The problem is many people have preconceived notions about NJ and almost all of them are false.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

I think he likes Hall.

He also has a family, so a city life wouldn't work well for him.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm okay with not giving Schlemko 4 years. Granted, Lovejoy at 3 years isn't a whole lot different, but with Larsson gone we do need another righty back there, and hopefully within the next couple years Santini is ready to play a top 4 role.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND

Schlemko was not the same post all star break as he was pretty all star break. I liked him, but his play really fell off the 2nd half of last year. personally I like a Moore-Lovejoy 3rd pairing quite a lot. I still see us adding 1 more defender to play with Merrill

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't know if Shero has made any comments at all. He might wait until the end of the day.

Three years would of been the max Shero offered here, and I'm not sure he offered that.

Of course Schlemko took four in San Jose. I doubt many, if any, other teams offered that term.

Much rather Lovejoy on his new contract than Schlemko for 4 years.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Agreed. Schlemko got a bit too much term. But I do feel, on the whole, Devils fans are under-appreciating his performance last year.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

He's better offensively for sure. That doesn't make him a better fit for what this team needs. Schlemko was another LHD that played on his off side all last year, and he doesn't bring the physical presence that Lovejoy brings. You need a LITTLE bit of bang, not every physical D is automatically as useless Bryce Salvador or Colin White at the end of their careers. He's also a vet presence that has played on winning teams, which will help our young D as well.

And yes I'm aware they still need something of an offensive presence from the blueline too eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad