Prospect Info: Devils picking 4th Overall.

Who do the Devils pick?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Does anyone remember what people said about quinn's defensive game in his draft year?

Paging Dr. Coolwater. @stevetoddives

Give me Clarke or give me cake

or Hughes

or Eklund

or someone who can score from the front

or someone who can score from the back

or anyone who looked good in black and red

Reactions: Clam Jensen

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Trading up would be the absolute worst thing the Devils could do (outside of trading back with Hughes still there), just let the draft fall where it may - if they don't get Hughes they'll get a comparable D anyway. You don't trade up when you're picking guys on the same tier, intangible or no intangible.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
While this shouldn’t necessarily play a part because you draft based on your prospect pool, the Ducks couldn’t score last season. They were dead last in Goals For (we were 6th to last).

I’m not sure what the Ducks actually need more though in terms of prospects and they often draft defensemen in the 1st round.
Ya 124 goals for Ana compared to 145 for NJ.

Even worse was Anaheim on the PP, 11 goals scored(Devils had 22) while allowing 4 shorties. That is brutal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I do expect a lot of mocks having us taking Luke solely because writers are lazy and having the team with his sibling makes writing that little byline easy.

It wouldn't completely shock me if someone in the next couple of spots tried to trade above us for that reason lol

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Dont sleep on Guenther. It would be nice if we took him and still got a d man with the Islanders pick. The need for a top tier D man is just so high that passing on Clarke or Hughes would not be easy.

Reactions: nugg

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
IF we wanted to what do you think we'd have to give up to trade picks with the Ducks?
I honestly don’t think there’s any actual possibility of that happening. I would be pretty unhappy and weirded out if did happen.

Toronto gave up a 2nd (37th) and a 3rd (68th) to move up from 7th to 5th in 2008.

Our 2nd is significantly worse, it’s the 54th pick. And we have the 68th in the 3rd. Would both those picks be enough? I can’t say. They might want both 1sts and give us their 3rd (66th) or something like that.

The problem is our 2nd kind of sucks because Vegas has our early 2nd. And don’t bother making up packages involving prospects, these trades involve picks.

It’s a dumb idea, we’re in a great position to get Luke because got bumped down. He definitely can be more attractive due to Jack but the team doesn’t have to go crazy here. There’s no way Jack’s expecting them to trade up for Luke because ludicrous, he’s understandably hoping his brother will be drafted if he’s still available.

If the team is neurotic as some fans are to be dumb enough to trade up for Luke I’m going to be so unhappy. We got the 4th pick, deal with whatever players are left.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Not sure who I prefer with Clarke or Hughes.

I'd probably be happy with either of these two.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I honestly don’t think there’s any actual possibility of that happening. I would be pretty unhappy and weirded out if did happen.

Toronto gave up a 2nd (37th) and a 3rd (68th) to move up from 7th to 5th in 2008.

Our 2nd is significantly worse, it’s the 54th pick. And we have the 68th in the 3rd. Would both those picks be enough? I can’t say. They might want both 1sts and give us their 3rd (66th) or something like that.

The problem is our 2nd kind of sucks because Vegas has our early 2nd. And don’t bother making up packages involving prospects, these trades involve picks.

It’s a dumb idea, we’re in a great position to get Luke because got bumped down. He definitely can be more attractive due to Jack but the team doesn’t have to go crazy here. There’s no way Jack’s expecting them to trade up for Luke because ludicrous, he’s understandably hoping his brother will be drafted if he’s still available.

If the team is neurotic as some fans are to be dumb enough to trade up for Luke I’m going to be so unhappy. We got the 4th pick, deal with whatever players are left.
If we are trading up from 4th, we are probably making a bad trade in terms of value.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If Fitz and Castron see four players better than Hughes they will be relieved if he is taken before the NJ pick. Hard to say what will shake out. I do expect Luke to be on his best behavior when interviewing with NJ. I’m sure Jack will be working on his brother and the team.

Reactions: Goomba

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Drysdale plays the right side right? Would make the odds of Anaheim taking Clarke low.
That’s the way I see it, if Clarke is the guy you want... only have to worry bout Seattle taking him.... seems pointless to trade up with Anaheim.... Seattle might be worth it tho

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Dont sleep on Guenther. It would be nice if we took him and still got a d man with the Islanders pick. The need for a top tier D man is just so high that passing on Clarke or Hughes would not be easy.

I just cannot see us bypassing D at #4. I wouldn't be shocked by any of the dmen, but not taking one would floor me

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I legitimately wouldn't be shocked if we traded up just to ensure that we got Hughes
I completely agree and foot injury helps here, he shot up public draft ranks because he was white hot in Dec/Jan, but cooled down and then got injured. His very shortened season, which the equivalent of Quinn’s D-1 year due to Luke’s youth, that had no international tournaments makes him a bit of an unknown. He’s got a high ceiling, but he’s not his brothers, he’s raw and he’s very far from NHL ready. I’m not particularly afraid of him going top 3 at all, we don’t have to sacrifice assets out of fear. And if does, that’s life.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
If we take Hughes we could pull the reverse Niedermayer and have Quinn sign with us when he hits free agency.
It would certainly be something for Quinn to consider

Ive always been fearful that Jack seems like such a fun loving guy that he would test the market, whenever that happened. However if we took Luke, that certainly increases Jacks view of the Devils and New Jersey as a whole.

Honestly, its something I expect Fitzgerald to hint at eventually. I get the feeling the GMs talk and he will know if hes picking Luke at 4 before the draft (none of the top-3 are moving, zero chance).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad