Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
what I said "just stop it" to was to the poster who said that all it would take to get Karlsson would be Severson and a 1st and a middling prospect. That is a seriously misguided take IMO.

Still waiting for you to answer a very easy question... stop dogging and answer already.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
So we're all waiting for you to say you're wrong on this specific matter.

Kid? Get real guy... lol!
Thought Tedenby was gonna be prime Havlat. Thought the Devs would lose to Tampa in 4 or 5 (still might happen). Thought they'd miss the playoffs 100% this year. Was 50/50 on the Vatanen trade. Etc Etc

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Per usual, your reading comprehension is failing.

Please point to where I said that I didn't see the point of the trade.

Literally all I said was the Grabner trade was an awful decision...not once did I say we didn't need a winger at the time.

It is incredible that every time you argue with someone and you get proven wrong, you then immediately misquote them or try to alter the argument entirely.

How was it a awful decision? I'd like a explanation instead of a opinion.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Ok, so you don't like the trade. Fair enough. Whats your idea to upgrade the defense? My first choice is signing Carlson. I've been clear about that. What do you think?

Yea Carlson would be my choice, obviously provided the deal is kept within reason. I've wanted him since his draft year.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Per usual, your reading comprehension is failing.

Please point to where I said that I didn't see the point of the trade.

Literally all I said was the Grabner trade was an awful decision...not once did I say we didn't need a winger at the time.

It is incredible that every time you argue with someone and you get proven wrong, you then immediately misquote them or try to alter the argument entirely.

If you agree that we needed a winger, and didn't give up a prime package for one (who scored 25+ goals, mind you), how could you possibly say it was a bad decision?

and if you think a 2nd and Rykov is a prime package, you're wrong there.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
How was it a awful decision? I'd like a explanation instead of a opinion.
Ok, explain to me how the Grabner trade wasn't an awful decision based on his lack of product and I don't know...maybe the fact he is scratched for the playoffs!

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Thought Tedenby was gonna be prime Havlat. Thought the Devs would lose to Tampa in 4 or 5 (still might happen). Thought they'd miss the playoffs 100% this year. Was 50/50 on the Vatanen trade. Etc Etc

So you're saying that you're wrong more often then not? I don't get your point(s), sorry.

We made the playoffs, Vatanen has been our #1 dman, the series isn't over and if it wasn't for bullshit non calls we'd be tied heading back to Tampa and who the f*** cares about Tedenby lol

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I am not the one that proposed the trade, because I Don't know what the value is. I DO know that it would be much more than you think though.

You can do whatever you want but if you can't even come up with a opinion on the matter, you shouldn't be criticizing the opinions of others.

Last edited:

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
One must think positively. Grabner is a bust, but maybe it was better trade him for 2nd and Rykov than try to sign with him 3+ year deal when he is ufa on July. At least now we can get rid of him after our last playoff game.

I thought it was a good and necessary trade when it happened, but Grabner has been huge disappointment for me. I would have never guessed he is such a nonfactor player for the Devils.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Ok, explain to me how the Grabner trade wasn't an awful decision based on his lack of product and I don't know...maybe the fact he is scratched for the playoffs!

We needed depth for a playoff run, he bumped Stafford and Hayes away from a regular roster spot, he scored 25 goals prior to the trade, he fits our team philosophy to a "T", helped our PK, etc, etc, etc...

I know you won't admit all the valid points that I just brought up but that's the reason as to why Shero landed that player for a 2nd round pick and a question mark prospect.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
OK so lets say they don't get Carlson, whats next?

Nothing specifically, see what reasonable trade routes are available that would benefit the team. If no smart deal can be done, draft a dman in the 1st round this year, maybe look for a stop gap veteran on D, hopefully backup the dump trucks full of money to Doughty next summer.

I don't view it as an absolute necessity that our defense is fixed/greatly improved for next year. Because we're not quite at the point of being cup contenders yet. So I don't look at it as "if we don't get Carlson we must do something else". Hell, if next season starts and some of our young players improve + maybe some of the youngsters like McLeod/Anderson show their worth...we suddenly have the ability to trade from a position of strength to upgrade the defense mid-season.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Sharks if they re-sign Kane have to give up a first too. It’s not really the same. Anyway if that’s Rays worst trade then I’m fine with it. Lot of gms would want something like that to be their worst trade

Reactions: Bologna 1

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Sharks if they re-sign Kane have to give up a first too. It’s not really the same. Anyway if that’s Rays worst trade then I’m fine with it. Lot of gms would want something like that to be their worst trade

Seriously... some are acting as if we gave up a 1st and McLeod for Grabner lol

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I might be dreaming here but with all the kids who are pushing for a roster spot up front, I don't see how Shero doesn't make a big trade this summer.

We have McLeod, Anderson and Quenneville who will all make a solid case to start on our team next year and Shero isn't a idiot... he knows that our left side is brutal, outside of Butcher, so adding a player like Vatanen (not necessarily a All-Star but a solid enough player to log top minutes) is probably on top of his "to do list" this summer.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

There's more to the trade than just production.

It came at a critical time of the season when our playoff spot was in jeopardy. Shero gave the team the vote of confidence and rewarded them for getting to where they were by upgrading the team.

At the time, Grabner made sense. It gave us a guy who was consistently scoring goals (Devils needed that) and someone with the speed to fit our system. I don't think anyone thought it would've played out this poorly.

Reactions: Zezel22

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
I'd like to see Grabner back on the team next year. He's dangerous on the PK and fast. It's unfortunate that he slumped while coming here but he's a good player.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
One must think positively. Grabner is a bust, but maybe it was better trade him for 2nd and Rykov than try to sign with him 3+ year deal when he is ufa on July. At least now we can get rid of him after our last playoff game.

that's actually a refreshing and intelligent point on the matter. i'd rather have the 2nd rounder lol, but still

Reactions: Verdoux

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
I still don't get why they never tried Grabner as a RW lol

this is one thing i agree with. especially given they didn't hesitate to toss maroon, wood & gibbons on the right side - none of whom have spent really any time ever at all there. considering grabner has played at least 50/50 over the past few years.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Team cancer Evander Kane is doing quite well for San Jose. 9 goals 14 points in 17 games 4.3 CF% rel. 3 goals and an assist in 4 playoff games. It's too bad Grabner couldn't give us anything, it would've been huge to have another goal scorer in the bottom 6.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
this is one thing i agree with. especially given they didn't hesitate to toss maroon, wood & gibbons on the right side - none of whom have spent really any time ever at all there. considering grabner has played at least 50/50 over the past few years.

And didn't he play there this season with the Rangers, you know, where he scored 20 something goals.

It's not like we're swimming in RW depth either. I don't know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad