Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
With how much wine Shero yielded from ****ing tap water (2nd+FLA 2nd+3rd+TOR 3rd for Palmieri and Johansson, Henrique for a top-pairing defenseman, obviously Hall for Larsson), I am shocked at the outrage over losing what we did in the Grabner trade.

Shero's human. It was a calculated, educated gamble that filled a need at the time. It didn't exactly pan out. Dude's not gonna bat 1.000. Chill the hell out.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The Grabner trade grades a D due to Hynes

grabner's piss poor black hole of shit play has nothing to do with hynes

I'd like to see Grabner back on the team next year. He's dangerous on the PK and fast. It's unfortunate that he slumped while coming here but he's a good player.

i'd like to see him back too, on a 1 year deal for the minimum allowable salary

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
grabner's piss poor black hole of **** play has nothing to do with hynes

i'd like to see him back too, on a 1 year deal for the minimum allowable salary

That's a bad take.

Hynes has not given him the best chance to succeed with linemstes and ice time.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
What I said was that if the Senators package Ryan with Karlsson to DRASTICALLY reduce the value of Karlsson, Dorion is a true total idiot. I don't think he is a good GM, but Id on't think any sane person would do that, whereas you guys are talking about it as a given that it was going to happen.

I agree with your statement in a vacuum, but you have to take the Melnyk factor into account here. He may force Dorion's hand, making it essentially mandatory that any Karlsson deal involves Ryan's contract in the name of shedding salary.

Is that a stupid, braindead move? Yes. But given the toxic circumstances, I don't think you can place the blame fully on Dorion.

From New Jersey's perspective, I'm not sure a discounted Karlsson is enough for me to take on Bobby Ryan's contract at full value. I don't think people understand how bad that deal really is.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
That's a bad take.

now it's his ice time. i feel like jim must have when i was defending kovy to him back in 2000 and whatever. every day, it's something new lol.

he averaged 14 and a half minutes of ice time with us. as a point of reference, that's more than zacha, and he managed to do even less than zacha did. more than gibbons, stafford, coleman, boyle, noesen. how many more minutes should grabner have gotten to get that elusive 3rd goal that we're all still waiting on?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
That's a bad take.

Can we please stop crapping on Hynes or the rest of the staff, the second something doesn't go our way?

Are we expecting our coaching staff, players and Gm to be immune to any type of mistakes. If you had to analyze your own work, your boss and your colleague would probably have a list of things you're not good at, so why is it any different for the team we cheer for?

Hynes isn't perfect but he's done more good then bad since getting his job and the same can be said for Shero. The level of hate for two guys who took over a crappy situation left by Lou Lamoriello is outrageous IMO.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Can we please stop crapping on Hynes or the rest of the staff, the second something doesn't go our way?

Are we expecting our coaching staff, players and Gm to be immune to any type of mistakes. If you had to analyze your own work, your boss and your colleague would probably have a list of things you're not good at, so why is it any different for the team we cheer for?

Hynes isn't perfect but he's done more good then bad since getting his job and the same can be said for Shero. The level of hate for two guys who took over a crappy situation left by Lou Lamoriello is outrageous IMO.

I give Ray an A- this season.

Hynes a B in the reg season and a D in the playoffs with his asinine lineup decisions

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I agree with your statement in a vacuum, but you have to take the Melnyk factor into account here. He may force Dorion's hand, making it essentially mandatory that any Karlsson deal involves Ryan's contract in the name of shedding salary.

Is that a stupid, braindead move? Yes. But given the toxic circumstances, I don't think you can place the blame fully on Dorion.

From New Jersey's perspective, I'm not sure a discounted Karlsson is enough for me to take on Bobby Ryan's contract at full value. I don't think people understand how bad that deal really is.
poor sens (literally), they have the worst owner in the league

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I'm not one of those, I am a Skeletor supporter, but I agree he has been terrible these playoffs in terms of personnel.

With BOTH Graber and Gibbons in the lineup, I can almost guarantee the Devils are not down 3-1.

The Devils are getting absolutely SHREDDED on the penalty kill, with their two best penalty killers watching from a luxury box. That's the difference maker. Huge momentum swings. Every time a game looks okay, "it's a Lightning POWERplay GOAL!!!".

I see absolutely no rational counter-argument for having guys like Stafford or Boyle in the lineup over a Gibbons or a Grabner, and I said so BEFORE the series started.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

I think everyone is too quick to dump on certain players. Not too long ago, almost everyone here wanted Zajac booted to outer space and now, he's a key player for us during the postseason.

Is Bobby Ryan the player he once was in Anaheim, absolutely not. Would he be a upgrade over half of our current RW'ers, absolutely. Let's not act like we're getting Ryan Clowe, who would be completely irrelevant on our roster and would cost our owners a extra paycheck for nothing.

Again, Karlsson is the key in all of this and I'd be willing to take almost anything to have EK on our blueline and that includes Bobby Ryan. I don't think certain fans on our board are forgetting what a guy like EK can do to a team since we've been watching Greene lead the way on our blueline for the past 6 years+.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I am pretty confident that the people saying "Bobby Ryan isn't THAT bad!!" have not watched him at all recently

he IS that bad. He can't skate and has serious hand injury problems. I would not take him over Palmieri, Bratt, or Noesen even without even taking contracts into account

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'm not one of those, I am a Skeletor supporter, but I agree he has been terrible these playoffs in terms of personnel.

With BOTH Graber and Gibbons in the lineup, I can almost guarantee the Devils are not down 3-1.

The Devils are getting absolutely SHREDDED on the penalty kill, with their two best penalty killers watching from a luxury box. That's the difference maker. Huge momentum swings. Every time a game looks okay, "it's a Lightning POWERplay GOAL!!!".

I see absolutely no rational counter-argument for having guys like Stafford or Boyle in the lineup over a Gibbons or a Grabner, and I said so BEFORE the series started.

Our forwards on the PK isn't the issue... it's our shit blueline that is sinking us on the PK. The Greene-Lovejoy duo on our PK have been horrendous. I've never seen a group of guys who can't clear the puck when they actually have possession of the puck. I mean, they're NHL caliber players and they can't ice the god damn puck down the ice when they have a couple of seconds to do so?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
With how much wine Shero yielded from ****ing tap water (2nd+FLA 2nd+3rd+TOR 3rd for Palmieri and Johansson, Henrique for a top-pairing defenseman, obviously Hall for Larsson), I am shocked at the outrage over losing what we did in the Grabner trade.

Shero's human. It was a calculated, educated gamble that filled a need at the time. It didn't exactly pan out. Dude's not gonna bat 1.000. Chill the hell out.

I wish I could like this more than once.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Our forwards on the PK isn't the issue... it's our **** blueline that is sinking us on the PK. The Greene-Lovejoy duo on our PK have been horrendous. I've never seen a group of guys who can't clear the puck when they actually have possession of the puck. I mean, they're NHL caliber players and they can't ice the god damn puck down the ice when they have a couple of seconds to do so?

Our defenseman have had issues with that going back to Colin White lol. We always have a few guys who just cannot clear the puck at all.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I am pretty confident that the people saying "Bobby Ryan isn't THAT bad!!" have not watched him at all recently

he IS that bad. He can't skate and has serious hand injury problems. I would not take him over Palmieri, Bratt, or Noesen even without even taking contracts into account

Even if he's a healthy scratch for the full 82 games + the postseason, I'd still do the trade since we're getting Karlsson.

LOL... you haven't talked about EK once since the proposal was made and that to me is more of a head scratcher then Ryan's actual value.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Even if he's a healthy scratch for the full 82 games + the postseason, I'd still do the trade since we're getting Karlsson.

LOL... you haven't talked about EK once since the proposal was made and that to me is more of a head scratcher then Ryan's actual value.

Karlsson is a top 5 player in the NHL...what more do you want me to say about him?

You just brushing off Bobby Ryan like he doesn't absolutely suck anymore is what I take issue with. You can't just "not care" about a player with that term and money left on his contract. That absolutely 100% factors into this decision whether you choose to believe it or not.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Ughh.........

Hypothetical / fantasy trade posts are my least favorite of all HFBoards posts. Just an utter, sheer, waste of time.

And they go on FOR-EV-URRRrrrrrrrrrr......

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Karlsson is a top 5 player in the NHL...what more do you want me to say about him?

You just brushing off Bobby Ryan like he doesn't absolutely suck anymore is what I take issue with. You can't just "not care" about a player with that term and money left on his contract. That absolutely 100% factors into this decision whether you choose to believe it or not.

He sucks, whatever. Send his ass in the minors if he can't earn a spot... you're still left with Karlsson.

That's the point I'm trying to make and that's the only point we should care about. The real question is, would our owners pay Ryan to do close to nothing (in your eyes) in order to acquire THE best offensive dman in the league?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Ughh.........

Hypothetical / fantasy trade posts are my least favorite of all HFBoards posts. Just an utter, sheer, waste of time.

And they go on FOR-EV-URRRrrrrrrrrrr......

It goes on forever cause certain posters are convinced of something they have no idea about. There's a difference between talking about certain possibilities and claiming to know it won't happen without bringing up anything solid to the table, other then their own opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->