Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VIII - Postseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I give Ray an A- this season.

Hynes a B in the reg season and a D in the playoffs with his asinine lineup decisions

Hynes gets at least an A just for getting this team in the playoffs. Some of you forget that we were picked to be the worst team in the entire league way too quickly. I get that blaming the coaching staff is an easier complaint than admitting that our secondary scoring is bad and our defense sucks and we lack enough top end talent, but come on.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
yeah I am sure our owners would love to spend $7.25/year for 4 years on a player in the AHL. That is sound logic.

I was exaggerating of course but that just flew right above your head, like usual.

Bobby Ryan isn't useless. Is he worth his contract, absolutely not but useless is a far stretch. You have your own opinion, which I respect but to be dead set on such a point when you probably saw him play just as much as everyone else here since I doubt you saw all 82 games played by the Sens this year, is were I tend to take your opinion with a grain of salt.

The guy was a key player in their Cup run two years ago and now he's completely worthless at the age of 31? I'm having a hard time believing that but you seem to be convinced because he's had bad luck with injuries.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
it's going to be hilarious when karlsson re-signs with the sens

You should follow the news around the league. If you did, you wouldn't waste your own time writting posts that just doesn't make any sense more often then not.

The Sens can't afford him and that's the reason why they moved Turris, who was looking to cash in this summer and Melnyk didn't want to pay him. Why else would they move their #1 center + other assets for Matt Duchene?!?!?!

Once you'll answer that question, you'll understand why EK ain't resigning in Ottawa and if he does, Melnyk completely screwed over his own team with the brutal deal he forced his Gm to do, which sank them at the bottom of the standings while giving up their 1st round pick too boot (they'll give their 2019 pick instead but I don't see them being any better).

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
You should follow the news around the league. If you did, you wouldn't waste your own time writting posts that just doesn't make any sense more often then not.

The Sens can't afford him and that's the reason why they moved Turris, who was looking to cash in this summer and Melnyk didn't want to pay him. Why else would they move their #1 center + other assets for Matt Duchene?!?!?!

Once you'll answer that question, you'll understand why EK ain't resigning in Ottawa and if he does, Melnyk completely screwed over his own team with the brutal deal he forced his Gm to do, which sank them at the bottom of the standings while giving up their 1st round pick too boot (they'll give their 2019 pick instead but I don't see them being any better).

is only game. y u heff 2 b med?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Hynes gets at least an A just for getting this team in the playoffs. Some of you forget that we were picked to be the worst team in the entire league way too quickly. I get that blaming the coaching staff is an easier complaint than admitting that our secondary scoring is bad and our defense sucks and we lack enough top end talent, but come on.

So your take is Ray has failed at his job?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
The Grabner trade was okay on paper, but it was Grabner who severely under performed. I really dont want him back next year if this is an indication of his play.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The Grabner trade was okay on paper, but it was Grabner who severely under performed. I really dont want him back next year if this is an indication of his play.

Most fans hated the trade when announced.

It was not snap judgment either.

The defenders of the trade back then were wrong.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Most fans hated the trade when announced.

It was not snap judgment either.

The defenders of the trade back then were wrong.

They weren't back then and they're still not today.

Not every trade is going to end up in our favour, so the second you can understand that mindset, you'll have a clearer picture as to why he made such a move.

If Shero doesn't make both trades, they're playing golf tomorrow instead of game #5.

Reactions: BenedictGomez

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
With how much wine Shero yielded from ****ing tap water (2nd+FLA 2nd+3rd+TOR 3rd for Palmieri and Johansson, Henrique for a top-pairing defenseman, obviously Hall for Larsson), I am shocked at the outrage over losing what we did in the Grabner trade.

Shero's human. It was a calculated, educated gamble that filled a need at the time. It didn't exactly pan out. Dude's not gonna bat 1.000. Chill the hell out.

I personal believe it was the perfect trade at the time. I’m still baffled at why the guy stopped producing. Can’t fault Shero for trying to improve the team. What’s done isn’t done.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
totally, once we got grabner we went from 'in a playoff spot' to 'in a playoff spot'
Like I said, he made the key forecheck against Carolina that won us that game and he provided us some great PK play. He helped, did not hurt. Better than Stafford/Hayes playing those late season games.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
totally, once we got grabner we went from 'in a playoff spot' to 'in a playoff spot'

The Devils barely made the playoffs. BAREly.

You really think they would have made the playoffs with someone like Hayes on the ice the last 20+ games instead of Grabner?

I highly doubt it.

What you're guilty of here, is blindly looking at "points" rather than the collective play a guy contributes, and Grabner was excellent at killing penalties & a pretty good forechecking presence as well, over a stretch of games where the Devils often won by only 1 goal.

You have a badly simplistic point of view on this, likely born of stubbornness than honestly.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Yea Grabner is not the reason we made the playoffs. He didn't play well here at all. It is what it is. Maroon was a good trade but Grabner is a pretty useless player unless he's scoring goals at ES.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

Yeah, cause we played .500 once we acquired Grabner.

I'm not saying that Grabner is the main reason we made the postseason but denying the fact that both acquisitions helped us get to where we are today is denying reality.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Yea Grabner is not the reason we made the playoffs. He didn't play well here at all. It is what it is. Maroon was a good trade but Grabner is a pretty useless player unless he's scoring goals at ES.

For the 96438765230984568736534 time... Grabner didn't impress since joining our team and no one is saying otherwise, but he was a better option down the stretch over Stafford and Hayes, who he bumped out of the lineup the second Shero pulled on the trigger.

I mean, for those who are crapping on the trade, how hard is it to recognize that simple point. It's ok to be wrong at times and man up by saying so instead of going to your grave, knowing your wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad