Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VII - Playoff push; read warning in OP first

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
nico definitely has gotten stronger as the season has gone on. hes not a manchild like laine or matthews but he is pound for pound strong.

Reactions: Take Notes

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
That just isn’t true though. I said repeatedly he hasn’t been good lately. The haters are just using this rough stretch to craft their revisionist garbage narrative that he has been bad all year which is nonsense. But again, these are people that think Santini would be a better option, so what’s the point...

Last edited by a moderator:

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
let's be really, defensively everyone stunk a turd in the 1st and 3rd last night. Our defensive zone structure is terrible more often than not as of late. We found on our transition game way to much lately.

Just watch the team in the defensive zone, sometimes I think Ray Charles could cover gaps better than we do.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
That just isn’t true though. I said repeatedly he hasn’t been good lately. The haters are just using this rough stretch to craft their revisionist garbage narrative that he has been bad all year which is nonsense. But again, these are people that think Santini would be a better option, so what’s the point...
Sure. That's what you think. You sound like a mother who tries to protect his kid. We all gave him credit when he was good. We aren't crafting anything, you're the one who crafted your own idea on him. How much does it pain you to say he's been terrible? send me your address, I'll send you some chocolate.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
let's be really, defensively everyone stunk a turd in the 1st and 3rd last night. Our defensive zone structure is terrible more often than not as of late. We found on our transition game way to much lately.

Just watch the team in the defensive zone, sometimes I think Ray Charles could cover gaps better than we do.
Doesn't excuse the boneheaded plays Severson makes. If he can play like he did in the 2nd period consistently, the criticism wouldn't be warranted, but he doesn't. You see him end up in front of the goaltender of the other team, and you're like yea, that will turn out bad. He lacks severe awareness.

Last night was a prime example, even in the offensive zone he makes terrible decisions. Dude is playing like a #5 defenseman. People who argued that he was a #2 in the league, and that his lack of defense was overblown we're totally wrong.

Can't wait for the Corsi, Fenwick, and all that advanced stats crap to show us how good of a possession player he is.

Reactions: Blender

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Doesn't excuse the boneheaded plays Severson makes. If he can play like he did in the 2nd period consistently, the criticism wouldn't be warranted, but he doesn't. You see him end up in front of the goaltender of the other team, and you're like yea, that will turn out bad. He lacks severe awareness.
I don't think it's so much awareness as it is being slightly out of position. Defensive coaching is a big problem on this team. If you want to rag on a player it needs to be our captain, he has been bad all year.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
No one has claimed he has been "bad all season". You're confusing discussion about his glaring defensive flaws with his overall abilities. He drives the play, he generates offense, and is one of the best puck movers we have. His play without the puck in his own zone is awful and always has been. That isn't to say that he doesn't have great games there as well, because he does, but there is no consistency to it and you never know when you're going to get Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde. Santini a better option in what? To play? Probably not, as I don't think Severson should never play, but he has gone through most of the season with zero accountability for his braindead play. I definitely trust Santini to defend out zone more than I trust Severson though.

Of course we have this discussion every few days and you keep returning to the exact same narrative that you always do. It's blatant intellectual dishonesty at this point.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I don't think it's so much awareness as it is being slightly out of position. Defensive coaching is a big problem on this team. If you want to rag on a player it needs to be our captain, he has been bad all year.
Those aren't mutually exclusive. I expect way more from Severson considering his age and has played over 270+ games. Greene is in the twilight of his career. LJ is LJ, I give him shit all the time. Problem is Severson is a big part of our future, and he has potential, but I'm comfortable in saying he hasn't improved much, if att all since he's been in the league.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Those aren't mutually exclusive. I expect way more from Severson considering his age and has played over 270+ games. Greene is in the twilight of his career. LJ is LJ, I give him **** all the time. Problem is Severson is a big part of our future, and he has potential, but I'm comfortable in saying he hasn't improved much, if att all since he's been in the league.
Coaching has everything to do with it. Klefbom was in talk for the Norris last year and looks terrible this year.

We can't name 1 defender outside of Butcher and Vats that is performing to expectations this year, that is a indictment on the coaching staff.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
No one has claimed he has been "bad all season". You're confusing discussion about his glaring defensive flaws with his overall abilities. He drives the play, he generates offense, and is one of the best puck movers we have. His play without the puck in his own zone is awful and always has been. That isn't to say that he doesn't have great games there as well, because he does, but there is no consistency to it and you never know when you're going to get Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde. Santini a better option in what? To play? Probably not, as I don't think Severson should never play, but he has gone through most of the season with zero accountability for his braindead play. I definitely trust Santini to defend out zone more than I trust Severson though.

Of course we have this discussion every few days and you keep returning to the exact same narrative that you always do. It's blatant intellectual dishonesty at this point.

Yup. When Severson has an assist or a goal, he likes to make a sarcastic comment and likes to rub it in our faces like "Yup, Severson is amazing, you guys don't know what the f*** you're talking about". When he makes a terrible play, he's no where to be seen, never criticizing Severson other than "yea, well Severson has been terrible for the past 3-4 games" without providing any insight, he just doesn't want to face the music, instead he prefers to say things like "I wipe my ass with your criticism on Severson".

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Sure. That's what you think. You sound like a mother who tries to protect his kid. We all gave him credit when he was good. We aren't crafting anything, you're the one who crafted your own idea on him. How much does it pain you to say he's been terrible? send me your address, I'll send you some chocolate.
I mean I have no trouble saying he hasn't been very good lately, why would I care about that? He's one player on the team and not even close to my favorite player. But here's something funny to consider: when he was completely controlling the flow of play and playing at his best earlier in the year, your kind were doing nothing but b****ing about durrr not enough pointz durr. Now he's playing not so great these past few games but he has 4 points in his last 6 and that doesn't matter to you. It's almost as if you'll criticize him no matter what.

And Severson led the team in CF% last game. He was fine.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Coaching has everything to do with it. Klefbom was in talk for the Norris last year and looks terrible this year.

We can't name 1 defender outside of Butcher and Vats that is performing to expectations this year, that is a indictment on the coaching staff.
That's such an easy thing to say. Butcher and Vatanen have been excelling ,and I will argue Severson has better tools than both of them . Problem is Severson hockey IQ is downright awful and both Butcher/Vatanen are smart players.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

No it isn't. He's fine most of the time, his issue is mostly getting caught up the ice. And dragging around Moore makes it pretty damn hard to play. There were people saying that Moore was carrying that pairing earlier in the year. Good lord.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Yup. When Severson has an assist or a goal, he likes to make a sarcastic comment and likes to rub it in our faces like "Yup, Severson is amazing, you guys don't know what the **** you're talking about". When he makes a terrible play, he's no where to be seen, never criticizing Severson other than "yea, well Severson has been terrible for the past 3-4 games" without providing any insight, he just doesn't want to face the music, instead he prefers to say things like "I wipe my ass with your criticism on Severson".
No, I liked to comment Damon "bad shot" Severson when he was near the league lead in even strength goals for defenseman and one of the main critiques of his game was that he had no shot. I don't even know why I'm engaging with you, you're a borderline troll with zero of value to say when it comes to Severson. You literally spend half your time on here just baiting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
No it isn't. He's fine most of the time, his issue is mostly getting caught up the ice. And dragging around Moore makes it pretty damn hard to play. There were people saying that Moore was carrying that pairing earlier in the year. Good lord.
Yes it is. He loses coverage all the time. His zone coverage is poor, he has a tendency to let his man create a gap on him, he doesn't box guys out from the net properly, etc. His defensive fundamentals in his own zone just aren't good.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I mean I have no trouble saying he hasn't been very good lately, why would I care about that? He's one player on the team and not even close to my favorite player. But here's something funny to consider: when he was completely controlling the flow of play and playing at his best earlier in the year, your kind were doing nothing but b****ing about durrr not enough pointz durr. Now he's playing not so great these past few games but he has 4 points in his last 6 and that doesn't matter to you. It's almost as if you'll criticize him no matter what.

And Severson led the team in CF% last game. He was fine.
That's completely false. I always gave him credit when he was good. He has consistently done some stupid shit in his own zone this year outside of a couple of stretches and yes, I will give him shit for that. I think his best stretch was for 4-5 games after the All-star break. He was amazing and I expected that level of play from him (or almost close to that level of play), not because he put up points, but because he was playing good in his own end, and was a complete force in the offensive zone.

again with that CF% bullshit. You can give 3 prime chances in your own zone, and than shoot 5 floaters from the blue line and you will have a positive CF%. Do you think he had a better game than Vatanen?

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Seversons only problem is he can get caught out of position occasionally, which leads to a lot of his issues. It is very correctable, we just need to find him a more defensive partner to allow him to be more offensive. I always thought he would play well alongside Karl Alzner.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
No, I liked to comment Damon "bad shot" Severson when he was near the league lead in even strength goals for defenseman and one of the main critiques of his game was that he had no shot. I don't even know why I'm engaging with you, you're a borderline troll with zero of value to say when it comes to Severson. You literally spend half your time on here just baiting.
If Severson had a good shot, he would probably have 20 goals. Dude shoots floaters all night. Come on man, scoring goal doesn't mean you are a good shooter. You're such a hack. Seriously.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Yup, blame it on Moore lol. How many times is Moore getting caught defending an odd man rush, because his partner is wandering around in the offensive zone.

Have you notice that it's Moore most of the time that is defending the odd man rushes and not your boy Severson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad