Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) VI - The Home Stretch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
We don't need to find one that's clutch we need to find one that doesn't choke like the one we have.
lol idk how you can call him a choker when we haven't played a meaningful hockey game in years. A choker is braden holtby and Jake Allen as they have playoff sample size. You simply cant call Cory a choker when we haven't been relevant since 2011-2012

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
To be clear, there are people that believe we would not be a better team if we magically had 2014 .925 SV% Cory over Kinkaid? That’s an opinion people have?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
And I am not just saying this to create controversy... I just don't think Cory is guy you win with.

There have been tons of good players in all sports that just can't seem to close, there is always that one little mishap or bad fortune...Cory is one of them.

So does that mean Hall is also a guy you can't win with since he's never made the playoffs? It's also ludicrous to make that statement when you consider Cory has been on a rebuilding team that basically wasted his prime years. Shame on you Cory for not singlehandedly dragging bad teams into the playoffs.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
To be clear, there are people that believe we would not be a better team if we magically had 2014 .925 SV% Cory, than Kinkaid? That’s an opinion people have?
Cory chokes according to some look at all the playoff games or games with playoff implications he has played in within the last 5 years :sarcasm:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol idk how you can call him a choker when we haven't played a meaningful hockey game in years. A choker is braden holtby and Jake Allen as they have playoff sample size. You simply cant call Cory a choker when we haven't been relevant since 2011-2012

Eh like it or not Cory's gonna have this rep till he starts playing well down the stretch of a playoff run. The only chances he's had are briefly in 2014 when he lost the job back to Marty after the Olympics and this year which he's been a big dud in the second half. People associate him with loserdom cause he's been on loser teams. But it doesn't help when on the first good team he's been on since his first year he lost the job to Keith down the stretch due to poor play.

As much as the narrative surrounding Cory has been vastly overstated at times, he hasn't exactly helped his cause this year either.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Except Cory has been this year fine until this recent stretch that has a long,injury layoff in the middle of it that people conveniently forget

This whole argument is based off selective short term memory.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Honestly, I have no idea what's been wrong with him the last 10 games. He looked like the old Cory again up until that damn Buffalo game where everything seemingly fell apart until the middle of February. I don't know if he's not comfortable with his movement because of the groin injury or if he's just in his own head too much. It's honestly almost as bizarre to me as Kinkaid giving up a goal in the first 2 minutes 7-8 times this year. You'd think at some point in those 10 games we'd somehow pull out a win. I know he's given up bad goals during that stretch, but it would still be nice if the team bailed him out once or twice in there. I'm sure the losing streak weighs on him, which probably just compounds the issue.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
If Cory wins 8 in a row and helps get us to the playoffs, does that mean he’s clutch? Is one born with the clutch gene or can you become clutch? I remember when A-Rod wasn’t “clutch” even though he was putting up MVP numbers.

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
So what defines clutch? what goalies are clutch? Rask?,Rinne?,MAF?,Crawford?,Murray?. Im not denying it doesn't exist but how do you measure it ? in such a variable sport as hockey.

brady is clutch in his sport but the outcome in football is a lot more controlled than hockey

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I like the way 10 games is talked about as "just a little blip"

10 games is 26% of his starts.

10 games is 14% of the season to date.

If we miss the playoffs it's going to be by a lot less than the 18 of 20 points he dropped during the blip.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So does that mean Hall is also a guy you can't win with since he's never made the playoffs? It's also ludicrous to make that statement when you consider Cory has been on a rebuilding team that basically wasted his prime years. Shame on you Cory for not singlehandedly dragging bad teams into the playoffs.
This really makes no sense to me I am not sure why you keep bringing it. Hall is 1 of 12 forwards.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Kinkaid had a stretch of 9 games played in January/February earlier this year where these were his numbers:

.876 SV%, 3.61 GAA

Cory's last 10 games:

.875 SV%, 3.73 GAA

just saying.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

Bcap88

Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

If we miss the playoffs it's going to be by a lot less than the 18 of 20 points he dropped during the blip.
Yes cause goalies control the outcome single handedly every game. Holtby has worse numbers than cory and is sitting on 30 wins because guess what? shockingly the caps are a better team than us.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I had a nice long post about the term "clutch" written up that just got wiped out by my browser crashing, so I'll go with the basic premise of it and say that it's an entirely subjective term that can't really be quantified. And it's even more nebulous when applied to goaltenders.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

But this logic doesn't apply to Kinkaid who was below average for 18-19 games, then got hot for 12 games? Funny how that works.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Kinkaid had a stretch of 9 games played in January/February earlier this year where these were his numbers:

.876 SV%, 3.61 GAA

Cory's last 10 games:

.875 SV%, 3.73 GAA

just saying.
But the point is what? Cory can be as bad as our backup at his worst?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

the point is its a bad 10 game stretch, same as Kinkaid had earlier this year and the same that any player can have at any point. Immediately prior to those 10 games for Cory that I just listed, he had a 10 game stretch where he was at .933 and a 1.98 GAA. So are we to just assume in the middle of the season that Schneider completely forgot how to play goal? Or that he is just having a rough stretch? Which one do you think is more likely?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

The point is both goalies have been good and both goalies have been bad. Unfortunately certain people with agendas seem to like ignoring things that don't support their narratives. It's also more of this Player A vs Player B bullshit that plagues this board.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The point is both goalies have been good and both goalies have been bad. Unfortunately certain people with agendas seem to like ignoring things that don't support their narratives. It's also more of this Player A vs Player B bull**** that plagues this board.
That works if someone is claiming Kink is better. Which maybe some people are.

But still, Kink is a straight up NHL backup. Cory is supposed to be elite. The fact that they have comparable stretches of bad play is not much of an argument for Cory.

Reactions: MartyOwns

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
the point is its a bad 10 game stretch, same as Kinkaid had earlier this year and the same that any player can have at any point. Immediately prior to those 10 games for Cory that I just listed, he had a 10 game stretch where he was at .933 and a 1.98 GAA. So are we to just assume in the middle of the season that Schneider completely forgot how to play goal? Or that he is just having a rough stretch? Which one do you think is more likely?
See above.

But what Cory needs to do here is, come in play like a top goalie in this league, get this team to the playoffs, and make this argument moot.

It will be brutal in here this off season if he continues his bad play and we miss the playoffs.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
But this logic doesn't apply to Kinkaid who was below average for 18-19 games, then got hot for 12 games? Funny how that works.
Which 18 or 19 games? He was winning at around 50% of his starts at any point of the season you want to look before he took off on a hot streak.

Right after his worst stretch of the year where he lost 3 in row he was 10-7-2 with a .892. that is the worst part of season. 3 games before...3 games before 10-4-2 and 3 and games after 13-7-2

Keith was winning at a good clip all season. Besides that 3 row he only lost back to back games once. He only has 10 losses in 30 starts. You look at the save percentage and hold your nose but there is W in the correct column and not much else matters at the end of the day

Every single month Keith was above .500

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
That works if someone is claiming Kink is better. Which maybe some people are.

But still, Kink is a straight up NHL backup. Cory is supposed to be elite. The fact that have comparable stretches of bad play is not much of an argument for Cory.

Nobody is denying that Cory has been bad the last 10 games. But don't you think the 28 games before where he was good might indicate that this is just a slump (a poorly timed slump no doubt) and not necessarily what he really is? I'm also not saying we should give Cory back the starters role here. Kinkaid has earned the starts he's gotten lately, and unless he completely regresses should get the majority of the starts.

I just get tired of the use of selective sample sizes around here. Remember when Vatanen sucked when he had 1 point in his first 10 games? Or how Zajac was finished after 20 games this year? Or how the Grabner trade was a disaster? Christ, not that long ago half this board wanted Kinkaid jettisoned to the moon.

Players have hot and cold streaks. Unfortunately for goalies there's nowhere to hide when they go cold. I think, given the season as a whole, that Kinkaid is hot and Cory is cold right now. More than likely Kinkaid is going to regress and Cory will play better, whether it be this season yet or next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad