Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) V - Trade Deadline Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I understand everyone is different, but when mourning the death of a loved one/someone close, the last thing I wanted to do was sit around in my room by myself.

I was given **** for going out and enjoying my life after a direct relative died by another relative. Ironically though, this relative that died was someone that I didn’t give a **** about the fact that they died. Shed zero tears over it, but even when a relative I was close with died, I would have rather have been hanging out in LA than sitting in my hotel room. I felt a lot better when being out and about.

I’m not a cold person by the way haha. The relative I didn’t care about dying was a toxic person. And not just to me, but genuinely not a good person at all.
When my mother was dying and for a while after this place was like therapy for me. This place and my favorite local restaurant bar.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Re: The Athletic - I did sign up, mostly dud to my desperation for some actual coverage for this team. So far, I have been very disappointed. There isnt even an article up about the Vegas game! I was hoping for some actual in depth coverage and that hasn't arrived yet. Since the guy started, all he has done is written a puff article about Brian Boyle's challenging year - which again, I'm cold hearted but how many times are we going to read that article? It's playoff crunch time. Enough, already. Maybe my expectations are too high.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When my mother was dying and for a while after this place was like therapy for me. This place and my favorite local restaurant bar.
I know the feeling. Definitely love not thinking about what’s happened.

Sorry to hear about your mother.

Reactions: Aethon

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
That’s what people thought about satelite radio versus free radio but it’s still a thing even with terrestrial and other online options. People will pay a nominal fee if they like the coverage enough whether it’s print or radio.

When satellite radio started debuting though there weren't really a number of other options available to get music and specifically get music for free like there are today.

Similar to ESPN Insider, it was useful before social media when there wasn't much coverage or information available out there aside from major news outlets, but since social media formed, it more or less has been useless.

Just more content. And as Bleed said, they are getting a lot of good writers - they must be doing something right.

I subscribed to the physical subscription of THN a few months back and I have loved it. Obviously it's less about "breaking news," but more articles about players and backgrounds into certain situations.

THN had a great article about Hall the other month, and that was the first time I ever heard about the 4 hour lunch they had where Shero told Hall he thought he only was playing at 35% of his abilities last year. That kind of stuff.

Fair enough for those looking for that kind of content. As martyowns mentioned, for us on here or on other forum based platforms as bigger fans of the team, we get a lot or most information out there through the different devils related social media/blog/forum coverage and that information gets shared throughout those platforms. Add in how much more the team shares with us these days between their online presence and through game coverage that at least personally, I wouldn't find it too worth it.

I also do understand that some of us don't always have the most time on our hands to catch up on all of this information because life - and it is cool too read about that kind of stuff like the meeting about Shero/Hall, which I do actually recall either reading or seeing something on this from an interview, but as mentioned, with what we have available today, I don't think there is too much else we'd be learning to pay $50 or so a year (even despite the free trial).

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
no, i mean they'll copy and paste the text of the article into a thread

Ahh, I see. I'm still probably going to sign up for a trial after work just because I'm curious. I know our writer just started yesterday or so, but a week should be a decent guage to see how much content we'll get. I'll keep you homies updated.

Reactions: Bleedred

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
How can you read the article for free through a link? Wouldn't you need to be logged in to an account?
Copy pasted text

Someone on the hockey Reddit posted the article which was the case for Hall to get the Hart, with 3 related videos for example. The articles are easy to spread around, even if it's kind of cheap to do (literally)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Because with Amanda it’s usually a personal cheap shot about her. I don’t think if someone said “Amanda Stein sucks as a reporter/writer” anyone would really consider it offensive. I haven’t seen anybody say “Well Andrew Gross looks disgusting. He needs to shave that beard, it looks like it smells. He also needs to work on his weight and his personal posts are stupid. I can’t believe he’d go and see that Anti-American commie band Bad Religion play a show!”. Usually the posts critical of Gross were just on his coverage (which I never had a problem with) and occasionally about his vlogs that he would do inside his home.

I’ve pointed out that he has a very deep voice, which isn’t very listener friendly, but I never meant it to insult him, as he can’t help what his voice sounds like.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Because with Amanda it’s usually a personal cheap shot about her. I don’t think if someone said “Amanda Stein sucks as a reporter/writer” anyone would really consider it offensive. I haven’t seen anybody say “Well Andrew Gross looks disgusting. He needs to shave that beard, it looks like it smells. He also needs to work on his weight and his personal posts are stupid. I can’t believe he’d go and see that Anti-American commie band Bad Religion play a show!”. Usually the posts critical of Gross were just on his coverage (which I never had a problem with) and occasionally about his vlogs that he would do inside his home.

I’ve pointed out that he has a very deep voice, which isn’t very listener friendly, but I never meant it to insult him, as he can’t help what his voice sounds like.

thats because she posts a lot of personal things. nobody is talking about her personal appearance here, i would agree that stuff shouldn't be allowed.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I still DESPISE the new home jerseys, but these roads are very sharp. The whites look less busy without the hem stripe.

The whites look cheap as hell though because you can see right through them like they're low thread count crap made in Indonesia or something.

Oh...... wait......

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I haven’t seen anybody say “Well Andrew Gross looks disgusting. He needs to shave that beard, it looks like it smells. He also needs to work on his weight and his personal posts are stupid. I can’t believe he’d go and see that Anti-American commie band Bad Religion play a show!”. Usually the posts critical of Gross were just on his coverage (which I never had a problem with) and occasionally about his vlogs that he would do inside his home.

There's definitely a double-standard though.

If someone HAD said the above things mocking a male reporter's appearance, nobody would give a rat's azz. But when someone says something negative about a female reporter's appearance, it's DEFCON 4.

Someone prominent would/could likely even be fired for the comments about a female, whereas they'd never be fired for the exact same comments about a male.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I can't believe I missed the Star Wars meme session.
Onto hockey tho I will be very pleased if we split the games this weekend. Winning 2 games against both western division leaders on the road to start the trip is fantastic. Getting 7-8 points on this roadtrip would be fasntastic

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
There's definitely a double-standard though.

If someone HAD said the above things mocking a male reporter's appearance, nobody would give a rat's azz. But when someone says something negative about a female reporter's appearance, it's DEFCON 4.

Someone prominent would/could likely even be fired for the comments about a female, whereas they'd never be fired for the exact same comments about a male.
thaaaaaat's society. being a gentleman and being chivalrous is good, and in a sense that's totally a 1-way label (man to woman, where as a woman being extra polite to a man is just recognized as polite), but with that comes the negative side as well. some might say we're in a "male dominated society" -- but this should (and might) get all shifted to the OT thread if a mod is feeling up to it.

personally i don't think she adds as much as, say, TG (though i think maybe we're incorrectly remembering TG to freakishly god-like levels of coverage), BUT she definitely has the capability to get some juicy "personal" information about the guys and their interpersonal relationships. her tweets are more personable as well, as if she's a fan. Chris Ryan also did good, with his Coleman/Hischier/Zacha/Bratt article.

it might be a while till we get a purely objective beat writer again

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
UPDATING:

Since trade (because I wont let this die)

FORWARD Adam Henrique - 46 games, 27 points

DEFENSEMAN Sami Vatanen - 46 games, 26 points

5008_9c00_420.gif

Last edited:

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Huge improvement in terms of production from the back end with the addition of Vats and Butcher. That was much needed coming into this season. Someone find where we rank in D scoring last season and this season.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Huge improvement in terms of production from the back end with the addition of Vats and Butcher. That was much needed coming into this season. Someone find where we rank in D scoring last season and this season.
tried to do it on NHL.com, but it won't let you sort and group team's scoring by individual players. but i'll say this:

last season, our D scored a total of 30 goals, 109 points

this season, we have 28 goals, but 131 points

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
big part of that is better/faster forwards because our style has been very conducive to goals off of the rush from turnovers

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Cangy is still really blind when it comes to a lot of stuff.But I mean he is actually pretty blind anyway physically when it comes to his eyes..

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
thaaaaaat's society. being a gentleman and being chivalrous is good, and in a sense that's totally a 1-way label (man to woman, where as a woman being extra polite to a man is just recognized as polite), but with that comes the negative side as well. some might say we're in a "male dominated society" -- but this should (and might) get all shifted to the OT thread if a mod is feeling up to it.

personally i don't think she adds as much as, say, TG (though i think maybe we're incorrectly remembering TG to freakishly god-like levels of coverage), BUT she definitely has the capability to get some juicy "personal" information about the guys and their interpersonal relationships. her tweets are more personable as well, as if she's a fan. Chris Ryan also did good, with his Coleman/Hischier/Zacha/Bratt article.

it might be a while till we get a purely objective beat writer again

Damn ukulele

Reactions: Comparison Ford
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad