Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) V - Trade Deadline Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
if we win tonight and against the Islanders, there is little to no chance either of those teams catch us IMO

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Yeah tonight is a big game to put it away. Even if we lose it’s not the end of the world but a big win definitely makes me feel very comfortable.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Out of left field comment-

Is this the least amount of AHL call ups we've had in a few years? I feel like the past 3-4 years it has been an ongoing revolving door where you could check the GDT and see who was called up and sent down every day. We've had like what, 3? Excluding guys who were sent down days or weeks prior.

I understand why it's different this year and the reasons for it, but I would love if someone had the numbers on previous years and see where we were at this point with call ups. It really felt a couple of the years that the entire Albany teams was called up at one point or another.

It's a great sign and a bad sign, we have guys that are constantly battling to stay up and beyond that to the point that its not even a thought to send them down, but at the other end, there really isn't anyone outside of JQ that people are/were screaming for to be called up. Blandisi would have been one of those guys for a lot of people. But we have prospects in different leagues so I'm not worried for the long run, but it was nice having a real(kinda) competitive AHL team to grab guys from and be excited about at any point.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Who do we have in terms of prospects that have that canon of a shot and with speed to burn.
A Tolvanen/Boeser type of player. We have so many skilled playmakers but do think we need some more guys with a natural goal scoring ability.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I would think they’re gonna be motivated for this one after getting spanked by the Jackets last time they met. Jackets are desperate though, this should be a good one.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The playoff push for teams in contention has begun. Teams that are close are already under the gun. Yet the playoff push trades haven’t materialized yet. There is no reason to wait if you are trying to make the playoffs. Prices must be high. Maybe an acquisition of note jump starts the Isles or another team that has to make the playoffs to be seen as relevant for any number of reasons. My unscientific observation is that there are 13 teams that have to make the effort to get into the playoffs and 8 that seem assured of a playoff spot. Some have a higher hill to climb than others of course. Some of the 13 may have already made the decision that they don’t foresee making the playoffs with the group they have or that short of a ridiculously one sided deal won’t expend any assets for a playoff push. The teams firmly entrenched in playoff position are probably mulling over a rental for a playoff run. Should be interesting as the TDL approaches. At some point sellers will have to drop their prices or see UFA assets or players due a raise or that become waiver eligible not get moved. I don’t see any pressure on a team like NJ or Col or Philly to make any moves. They are young teams on the rise and just getting into the playoffs is a successful year. NYI and maybe Columbus are further along and might feel more heat to make a deal for a player to help with a playoff push. Teams like OTT and NYR that want to move vets to get younger will probably have lots of interest in expiring deals but I’m not sure that other teams are looking at a guy like Carey Price and his anchor contract as a trade target. Time to see if you are a buyer or seller is running out. Maybe a team can see where they sit on Monday to decide if they are going to make a move. NJ has to make that call before the west coast swing. As Shero has alluded to it doesn’t sound like he is interested in any deviation from his big picture plan so I don’t expect anything short of a meaningless move - like Hayes and/or STAFFORD for someone else’s slug.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Who do we have in terms of prospects that have that canon of a shot and with speed to burn.
A Tolvanen/Boeser type of player. We have so many skilled playmakers but do think we need some more guys with a natural goal scoring ability.
I'm not sure if we have one like that. Quenneville is the only guy I can really think of that has a + shot. I think Boqvist and McLeod are both pass first players...not sure how good of a shot guys like Anderson, Zetterlend, Bastian, Speers, Studenic, Talvitie, Gignac or the Russians have.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
The closest one of those with a pure goal scoring shot is Zetterlund. That's why he often plays on the PP, even on stacked teams. He's got speed and a great shot.

The thing is that he's more of a grinder, that type of player, but could end becoming a Viktor Arvidsson type of player down the road if his progression hits maximum.

Reactions: My3Sons

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Ahhh forgot about Zetterlund he's the type I was thinking about, a stocky shoot first kind of player with good speed.

John Q is another option but he dosent have that high end motor that I think is really important if you want to play yourself on this team.

I know we got Boyle, Hayes but they have other roles because they bring other elements, not Hayes he's like in no mans land in terms of what he brings, I simply don't get what they see in him other that size and he's another US citizen.

I just miss a sniper like palmieri but a younger version.

D men and a sniper in the first couple of rounds in the 18 draft.

FooteBahl

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
The closest one of those with a pure goal scoring shot is Zetterlund. That's why he often plays on the PP, even on stacked teams. He's got speed and a great shot.

The thing is that he's more of a grinder, that type of player, but could end becoming a Viktor Arvidsson type of player down the road if his progression hits maximum.
Was he the one they were talking about at the world juniors whose coach told him he should stay out of the weight room because he was too solid?

FooteBahl

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Ahhh forgot about Zetterlund he's the type I was thinking about, a stocky shoot first kind of player with good speed.

John Q is another option but he dosent have that high end motor that I think is really important if you want to play yourself on this team.

I know we got Boyle, Hayes but they have other roles because they bring other elements, not Hayes he's like in no mans land in terms of what he brings, I simply don't get what they see in him other that size and he's another US citizen.

I think Popugaev has a decent shot also

FooteBahl

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ

If we could have somehow merged Boucher’s shot into Miles Wood, we’d have a 35+ goal scorer.

Reactions: My3Sons

FooteBahl

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
As far as the trade deadline goes, I hope we stand pat. Our big trades will be getting Schneider back soon and hopefully MOJO at some point. I saw a nice tweet in regards to how our D could eventually be addressed.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Is this the least amount of AHL call ups we've had in a few years? I feel like the past 3-4 years it has been an ongoing revolving door where you could check the GDT and see who was called up and sent down every day. We've had like what, 3? Excluding guys who were sent down days or weeks prior.

I understand why it's different this year and the reasons for it, but I would love if someone had the numbers on previous years and see where we were at this point with call ups. It really felt a couple of the years that the entire Albany teams was called up at one point or another.

It's a great sign and a bad sign, we have guys that are constantly battling to stay up and beyond that to the point that its not even a thought to send them down, but at the other end, there really isn't anyone outside of JQ that people are/were screaming for to be called up. Blandisi would have been one of those guys for a lot of people. But we have prospects in different leagues so I'm not worried for the long run, but it was nice having a real(kinda) competitive AHL team to grab guys from and be excited about at any point.

We've basically been carrying 8 defenders and 15 forwards the entire season including the rotating door of players on IR. Seems like when someone gets hurt, another guy gets healthy.

On top of that, there is a real lack of high-end AHL players in Binghamton this year. Quenneville for a top nine role and Pietila, Rooney, or Lappin might be able to fill in playing a depth role, but aside from that, there's not many NHL caliber players down there.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I have been wondering when we could finally get Rykov over here. It's so unclear with these Russian kids.

Eliteprospects has their contract status.

Rykov's ends after 18-19
Maltsev's ends after 17-18
Popugayev's ends after 18-19
Zaitsev's ends after 18-19

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to bring Maltsev over this summer with Dyblenko already in the A and Brylin as the assistant. Then you try to bring over the other three together after their deals expire.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I have been wondering when we could finally get Rykov over here. It's so unclear with these Russian kids.

He’s under contract for one more season. So the Devils could probably buy that last year out but I don’t think they would bother if they think he spends most of next year in the AHL.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ

Returns from conditioning loans not included

2017-18

Lappin
Rooney
Quenneville
Pietila
(Santini)

Wedgewood
Appleby
Blackwood
Lack

2016-17

Mozik
Pietila
Quenneville
Gazdic
Auvitu
Helgeson
Santini
Stollery
Lappin
Coleman
Blandisi
Wood
Rooney
Thomson (Ben)

Appleby

2015-16

Boucher
Blandisi
Sislo
Thompson (Paul)
O'Brien
Gragnani
O'Neill
Helgeson
Kalinin
Severson
Mozik
Pietila

Danis
Wedgewood

2014-15

Boucher
Bernier
Sislo
Helgeson
Harrold
Sestito
Whitney
Matteau
Fraser
Hrabarenka

Kinkaid
Clemmensen

Reactions: trufleshufle13

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
We've basically been carrying 8 defenders and 15 forwards the entire season including the rotating door of players on IR. Seems like when someone gets hurt, another guy gets healthy.

On top of that, there is a real lack of high-end AHL players in Binghamton this year. Quenneville for a top nine role and Pietila, Rooney, or Lappin might be able to fill in playing a depth role, but aside from that, there's not many NHL caliber players down there.

I understand all of that, I'm more interested in the numbers really and seeing how different it is from years past. Not sure if there is a place to find that.

Plus its ironic that most of the roster is doing so well it's hard to send anyone down, at the same time not many options to call up to get excited about. Last year or two was the opposite, "send that slouch to the minors," and "oh man, can't wait until that guy gets a call up."

It's not a problem unless we have a bunch of guys get injured, but it's just another example how much/fast we changed in one year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->