Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) V - Trade Deadline Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
For future reference:

1f3e8.png
Hall
1f1e8-1f1ed.png
Hischier
1f334.png
Palmieri

1f69b.png
Maroon
1f952.png
Coleman
1f443-1f3fd.png
Noeson

23e9.png
Grabner
1f4a4.png
Zajac
1f412.png
Gibbons

1f6aa.png
Wood
1f4aa-1f3fd.png
Boyle
1f58d.png
Stafford

1f476-1f3fc.png
Bratt

2615.png
Johansson
1f1e8-1f1ff.png
Zacha
1f33e.png
Hayes

26f3.png
Greene
1f1eb-1f1ee.png
Vatanen

2795.png
Moore
1f920.png
Severson

1f52a.png
Butcher
1f60d.png
Lovejoy

1f921.png
Schneider
1f32e.png
Lack

Not sure what Mueller is.

I suddenly find Schneider's emoticon a micro-aggression.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Most likely the end of Zacha’s Devil career.

He is either getting exposed and picked or being dealt in one of those side deals.

A lot can happen between then and now...but I also wonder if the league is going to allow teams to protect a bit more come the next expansion draft, with how good Vegas is right out of the gate. Though I guess they may view that as a good thing to boost ticket sales numbers right away...

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
All of Gibbons, Noesen & Coleman should be retained, that's a quality group of fourth liners that have the capability to move up the lineup in a pinch as well as contribute on special teams.

I can't imagine it would cost much more than $4 million to get those three signed; around $1.5-1.75 million for Gibbons and $1-1.25 for each of Coleman & Noesen (RFAs). 2 or 3 years in term for all of them. Obviously we have some more kids that might be competing for spots next year (McLeod & Anderson particularly) so it wouldn't surprise me if Boyle is deemed expendable, similar to Lovejoy on defence; thankfully neither should be too difficult to trade with a single year remaining on their contracts.

I think we'll look to retain at least one (likely just one) of our trade deadline acquisitions, I think both have fit in nicely so far but i'd prefer keeping Maroon due to his hard to find combination of size & skill. However I get the impression he'll be the more expensive of the two, couple that with the fact we gave up considerably less to get him and i'd surmise he's the more likely to leave in free agency. Grabner is already established in the area after his stints with NYI & NYR so I could definitely see him having a preference to stay, he's also extremely fast, plays the PK and most importantly knows how to put the puck in the net, things we both need and value heavily. I could see him being a logical fit on the third line with Zajac for the next couple of years until the kids displace them, i'd have no issue with a 2 year $3 million AAV contract for him.

One more thing to consider with Maroon, he's a 29-year old UFA whose value is at an all time high, he's also never had a 'big' payday up until now. He will quite rightly be looking to get paid and for a guy with his skill-set and recent production I could easily see him getting a 4-5 year deal at $4 million+ a year. I don't think we'll be serious players to retain his services for that fact alone, he'd be the very definition of a luxury player given that we already have Hall, Johansson & Wood on that side. He was a shrewd addition for our playoff push given Johansson's concussion troubles and the relatively low-cost we paid to get him, but I doubt management sees a need for him beyond this year.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
A lot can happen between then and now...but I also wonder if the league is going to allow teams to protect a bit more come the next expansion draft, with how good Vegas is right out of the gate. Though I guess they may view that as a good thing to boost ticket sales numbers right away...
That’s why I think it’s important to avoid the no movement clauses in contracts...with the exception of Taylor. He can have whatever he wants.

I’m sure shero will pull some magic out of his hat when the time comes.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
somewhere @haak84 is pleased :sarcasm:

(kidding!)

Bratt has had a couple good games and like a dozen noticeable shifts in 2 months. What has he done to deserve a spot on a top 2 line recently? Nothing. I get the fascination with him but hes not built for this time of year YET.

Bratt is a great open ice high skill player but he needs to improve his overall game and strength. Otherwise he hurts more than helps his linemates.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Most likely the end of Zacha’s Devil career.

He is either getting exposed and picked or being dealt in one of those side deals.

I wonder how many side deals are going to happen with Seattle though. I think teams are going to look at what happened with Vegas and plan better for the next expansion draft.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I wonder how many side deals are going to happen with Seattle though. I think teams are going to look at what happened with Vegas and plan better for the next expansion draft.

I know a lot will change before then, but this is my protected list.
Hall (hope he resigns)
Zajac (no movement unless he waives)
Nico
Palms
Bratt
Zacha
Wood

Sami (if he resigns)
Severson
Butcher? (Unless Carlson is signed)

Cory

Reactions: Ripshot 43

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I know a lot will change before then, but this is my protected list.
Hall (hope he resigns)
Zajac (no movement unless he waives)
Nico
Palms
Bratt
Zacha
Wood

Sami (if he resigns)
Severson
Butcher? (Unless Carlson is signed)

Cory

I like your list but I’m confident Shero will sign or trade for a D that would be #1 or #2 on our protect list by 3 years from now. That will leave one of the others unprotected depending on how they develop.

Edit: and Tavares will definitely be worth protecting :sarcasm:

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I don't like that. Hardworker kind of indicates no skill...you see him regularly toe drag and dangle around defenders. We've seen glimpses of snipes and creativity around the net. I honestly think he has much more to offer than what we have seen so far. I think if he capitalized on a few more of the chances he has had he would be precieved a bit different.
In what world does hardworking indicate no skill?

Perceived different by who? He is getting mainstream hart attention.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I think you confused two separate post. The conversation was about Coleman.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdj12784

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Flyers situation with Mzarek is exactly why I am glad we didn’t trade for a goalie at the deadline.

You can blow your season with the goalies you have for free. Why pay another team picks to have a new guy suck ass?

Plus Keith turned it around, and I suspect Cory will too.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

To be fair it is a common meme around here or at least was at the end of the Lou tenure that hardworking and gritty was code for talentless plugs.

Damian Brunners entire tenure with the team has been wiped from my memory. What a space cadet disaster he was.

I don't like playing the I told you so card, it gets done way too often here as it is but I was maybe one of the 2% of people who didn't want Brunner and looked at it as a huge red flag when a smart organization like Detroit (or at least they are when Holland isn't jumping the shark with handing out big money contracts to older players in July) didn't want him back, and they needed forwards almost as badly as we did. Time proved that theory correct but people went gaga over him cause everyone was without a canteen in the Sahara begging for any kind of 'skill' players at that point.

Reactions: mdj12784

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Fun fact, I was talking with a guy after the game last night who works/travels with the team. He said a few guys went pretty hard Monday and Hynes stopped practice multiple times and was getting pretty upset. Obviously they didn't hit it that hard Tuesday night thankfully.

The amount of Devils fans was insane, was out all night, all over the strip and anytime we saw another Devils jersey (which was constant) it was met with fist bumps, high fives and yelling if they were out of reach. Such an awesome experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad