Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No one cares whether you said it on draft day or now, draft revisionism still sucks. You said it then, it was noted; there's no point in belaboring it now. That's how I feel about draft talk in general.

It's especially ridiculous given that the Devils had 3 rookies make their roster and have a lot of young players who look good besides. I'm sure there's some Pittsburgh fan out there who still wishes they had taken Trouba instead of Pouliot but that's just how it goes - no one gets them all right.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I wonder why Gross brings up Stafford wearing an A but not Johansson. Johansson wore the A in a couple of games and Stafford didn’t and Stafford is only here for a year. Trivial stuff because it seems a lot of players will wear letters this year lol but jw

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
No one cares whether you said it on draft day or now, draft revisionism still sucks. You said it then, it was noted; there's no point in belaboring it now. That's how I feel about draft talk in general.

It's especially ridiculous given that the Devils had 3 rookies make their roster and have a lot of young players who look good besides. I'm sure there's some Pittsburgh fan out there who still wishes they had taken Trouba instead of Pouliot but that's just how it goes - no one gets them all right.

Ok, class...

The word of the day is 'belabor'

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
That 82 game odyssey video was awesome. Really looking forward to watching these all year.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I wonder why Gross brings up Stafford wearing an A but not Johansson. Johansson wore the A in a couple of games and Stafford didn’t and Stafford is only here for a year. Trivial stuff because it seems a lot of players will wear letters this year lol but jw

The only real letter that matters right now is the “C” and I wish they could just give it to Palms already. Not a big fan of Andy carrying that weight.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I think it's important conversation. Especially when you look at Shero's poor record with defensemen and Columbus's very poor record drafting defensemen with Castron. There seems to be a distinct pattern of not prioritizing Dmen. And it seems that there is a narrow minded view of player selection.

It's funny that you always downplayed Greene, Oduya and Clarkson during the difficult draft years but now you seemingly touting Butcher, Mueller with the 3 rookie comment.

It is also ironic that you have voiced your displeasure with the drafting during years were we picked no higher than#20 and yet have no problem with a not so good use of a #11.

I don't blame you for not wanting to talk about it after you chastised me for my comment in the that thread ..you have a history of making definitive comments and not wanting to answer for them at a later date.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
um, didn't Castron pick Werenski?

Jackets also drafted Methot (03), McQuaid (05), Russell (05), Moore (09), Savard (09), Prout (10), & Murray (11). Most of those guys were past the 1st round too.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I typically never revist drafts. I typically never ha

I think it's important conversation. Especially when you look at Shero's poor record with defensemen and Columbus's very poor record drafting defensemen with Castron. There seems to be a distinct pattern of not prioritizing Dmen. And it seems that there is a narrow minded view of player selection.

It's funny that you always downplayed Greene, Oduya and Clarkson during the difficult draft years but now you seemingly touting Butcher, Mueller with the 3 rookie comment.

It is also ironic that you have voiced your displeasure with the drafting during years were we picked no higher than#20 and yet have no problem with a not so good use of a #11.

I don't blame you for not wanting to talk about it after you chastised me for my comment in the that thread ..you have a history of making definitive comments and not wanting to answer for them at a later date.

Yes, I'm talking about Mueller who is clearly not a rookie and clearly not who I am talking about and not Nico f-ing Hischier , the number 1 overall pick.

You're starting this conversation the week of the opening puckdrop and begging to have it the day before Nico Hischier's debut. That's all that needs to be said. You want to talk about it next August, fine, make sure to bring your strawmen and we can discuss it, but I've no inclination to talk about this now.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don’t care about MM being the right pick or not for reasons already stated but it will be interesting to see how he improves and where.

I do agree with the idea that he seems to think the game like a bottom six player. The good news is that, thanks to Nico, he is slotted properly as the 3C at best.

I’d love for him to become a Kesler or Zajac type. A very limited sample size tells me he’s not nearly as sharp as those two but, we’re now lucky that we can afford to be patient.

As an aside: it’s f***ing amazing what drafting a star 1C does for a team’s depth.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
#4, #21, #6, #7, #6 and #6...that's where Columbus was picking those years. They didn't do well in relationship to their draft position

We picked #38, #20, #24, #57 , #30, #23

I'm not sure why so many make believe that this doesn't have an effect.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
#4, #21, #6, #7, #6 and #6...that's where Columbus was picking those years. They didn't do well in relationship to their draft position

We picked #38, #20, #24, #57 , #30, #23

I'm not sure why so many make believe that this doesn't have an effect.

Draft position does have an effect, but their drafting was still better than ours regardless of position. Put it this way...even if I ignore all of Columbus's 1st round picks those years and include ours -

Drafted players with 300+ career NHL Games from 2005-2010

Columbus: 8 (McQuaid, Russell, Boll, Mason, Dorssett, Calvert, Atkinson, Savard)

Devils: 2 (Fayne + Henrique)

I suppose you can bump the Devils total to 3 given that Josefson might break the 300 game mark this year (our only 1st round pick in that time to break that mark). If Merrill sticks in the NHL he has a chance, but f***en guy can't even make an expansion team's opening night roster.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Drafted players with 300+ career NHL Games from 2005-2010

Columbus: 8 (McQuaid, Russell, Boll, Mason, Dorssett, Calvert, Atkinson, Savard)

Honest question and I'll say no more on this topic...

Knowing that their starting position was #4, #21, #6, #7, #6 and #6 during each of those years do you think that list is good?

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Knowing that their starting position was #4, #21, #6, #7, #6 and #6 during each of those years do you think that list is good?

I said I left the 1st round picks off. So starting position doesn't matter. 8 legit NHL players found after the 1st round over the course of 6 drafts is, I'd imagine, an average to above average haul.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You cannot reasonably evaluate a draft pick one year after it.

Definitely true. But we certainly can tell who's better now from the same draft.

I said I left the 1st round picks off. So starting position doesn't matter. 8 legit NHL players found after the 1st round over the course of 6 drafts is, I'd imagine, an average to above average haul.
I understand that you left the 1st rounders out but they are still in the 6th spot in every round... that's what I meant by that. Essentially their average 2nd round pick those years was about 5 spots lower than our average first pick....and so on and so on. NJ was picking 15 to 25 spots after them in every round.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

I feel like they were probably all good picks with regard to projections. Not an off the wall head scratcher for the most part.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Definitely true. But we certainly can tell who's better now from the same draft.

I understand that you left the 1st rounders out but they are still in the 6th spot in every round... that's what I meant by that. Essentially their average 2nd round pick those years was about 5 spots lower than our average first pick....and so on and so on. NJ was picking 15 to 25 spots after them in every round.

Moving the goal posts Jim? Not like you mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad