Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Because McLeod’s 19 and had a good draft +1 year, I’m not too worried. Yet.

Nevertheless, what I saw when he played was pretty much everything critics have been knocking him for and very little of what he’s supposed to excel at (playmaking, speed with separation, defensive acumen).

Reactions: Bosskarelli

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
TG likely left The Record because he knew that kind of stuff was coming, but if he'd stayed we'd see his mug on his articles as well. I don't know who wants video, but someone outside a corporate office must.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
What do you guys think we'll get out of Taylor Hall this season if he stays healthy? Any chance he finally cracks 30 goals?

devsfan4life

Aug 13, 2007
FL
And Amanda said Greene-Severson together.

So that leaves this as top 6 I hope:

Greene-Severson
Moore-Butcher
Mueller-Santini

Extra
Prout-Lovejoy

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'm with you. No real point in using hindsight. McLeod was an acceptable pick in the moment and he had a great post draft year. Sure it would be nice to have McAvoy right now, but McLeod will be probably be a good NHL player sooner rather than later.

I don't disagree with anything here... I just take exception to the "Hindsight" part. There were plenty of people here that questioned the pick the very moment it was made... I remember a collective "What?*. When it was made. That's is simply not hindsight.

Now, a year later, we have a bit more tangible evidence to discuss that...

I think multiple issues are being conflated here. One, was it the right pick at the time and two, how good is he.

Yes, he's young, yes he can become a good player...none of that really addresses whether or not it was the right pick at the time.

That said, I don't like at all what he's shown so far. But this is another issue aside from whether or not it was the right pick. I think he plays the game like a bottom 6 player, he's shown little skill and a very poor shot...sure, a lot of things can be improved but from my point of view, those deficiencies shouldn't come from a #12 overall.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I want 70 points from a healthy Hall. He has the ability.

70 points is a good barometer. If he can hit 30 goals, even better.

I'm intrigued by his offseason training regiment. I can't really imagine a faster Taylor Hall, but a shiftier, stronger one would do a lot for the team. Hall-Zacha-Palmieri has the potential to do some serious damage.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
And Amanda said Greene-Severson together.

So that leaves this as top 6 I hope:

Greene-Severson
Moore-Butcher
Mueller-Santini

Extra
Prout-Lovejoy
Moore-Butcher looks like a Trainwreck waiting to happen.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The coaching staff is still trying to find the right guys so we'll see different pairings in the first couple of weeks IMO.

It's really too bad we don't have someone like Santini on the left side. Chychrun would've looked real nice alongside Severson :popcorn:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What do you guys think we'll get out of Taylor Hall this season if he stays healthy? Any chance he finally cracks 30 goals?
I'm hoping to see a good chemistry with Zacha. I like to see Zacha driving the net more frequently and generally creating more space for his wingers.

I think if that happens things will go very well for everyone involved.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
can we stop with the "McLeod was the wrong pick" nonsense? I don't recall literally one person saying we should pick McAvoy. Talk about revisionist history

McAvoy no, but several posters here and on others boards where talking about Jakob Chychrun being a legit option if he actually fell to us.

Btw, I'm a McLeod fan.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
McAvoy no, but several posters here and on others boards where talking about Jakob Chychrun being a legit option if he actually fell to us.

Btw, I'm a McLeod fan.
That's right McAvoy wasn't on the radar. Chychrun absolutely was.

Truth is most of the talk here was between Keller and Jost with a few other forwards thrown in...which really is my central point in the pick...when everyone of those forwards went off the board Defense was the right play IMO.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'm hoping to see a good chemistry with Zacha. I like to see Zacha driving the net more frequently and generally creating more space for his wingers.

I think if that happens things will go very well for everyone involved.

We could also see the opposite. Hall and Palmieri are feisty around the net and like to crash the slot. That would create room for Zacha to let off that wicked shot.

That's the cool thing about that line. Where we stand, none of them have defined roles. Hall and Palmieri are obviously acquainted with one another, but how Zacha fits into the equation (and how his fitting may affect the other two) is what's intriguing. It could be huge for him, in terms of taking the next step.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
That's right McAvoy wasn't on the radar. Chychrun absolutely was.

Truth is most of the talk here was between Keller and Jost with a few other forwards thrown in...which really is my central point in the pick...when everyone of those forwards went off the board Defense was the right play IMO.

We were still an organization bereft of high-quality forwards. If Shero and Castron knew we'd end up with Nico the following year, I'd bet they would've picked differently.

There's nothing worse than a revisionist discussion about a draft.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Moore-Butcher looks like a Trainwreck waiting to happen.

Moore-Butcher makes me queasy. I'd prefer Butcher-Prout, with Moore and Lovejoy sitting, but we all know the likelihood of that.

SA with Moore-Butcher pairing

RI9pjw2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: