Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - season begins!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
About the power play units, I'll be bummed if Severson isn't regularly used on the power play this year.

On one hand, if they used him the same way they used Larsson in 15-16, I'd be delighted to see they actually recognize that he's that good. It's about time that somebody on our staff realizes that he's that good, and judging by the contract he received not being some bridge deal, Shero already recognizes it.

On the other hand, he's still better than any defenseman on the team on the power play. I feel that if he's not on the power play, it will be because we're gonna play the hell out of him at even strength and PK, like we did with Larsson that year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
We have w
About the power play units, I'll be bummed if Severson isn't regularly used on the power play this year.

On one hand, if they used him the same way they used Larsson in 15-16, I'd be delighted to see they actually recognize that he's that good. It's about time that somebody on our staff realizes that he's that good, and judging by the contract he received not being some bridge deal, Shero already recognizes it.

On the other hand, he's still better than any defenseman on the team on the power play. I feel that if he's not on the power play, it will be because we're gonna play the hell out of him at even strength and PK, like we did with Larsson that year.

Severson never plays the PK, and that isn't going to change.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We have w

Severson never plays the PK, and that isn't going to change.
I didn't think he would, but I'm wondering why he isn't on the PP and thinking maybe Hynes has plans to deploy Greene and Severson the way he deployed Larsson and Greene in 2015-2016, when both were playing 23 or 24 minutes a night and the other guys were very sheltered. Larsson never did play PP anyway, at least not since his rookie year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Lars wasn't used on the PP because he isn't all that good offensively.
He's definitely not.

I just thought it was puzzling that Severson wasn't on either power play unit in practice. I don't know if Hynes was asked about that and I just missed it. I'm a little behind.

To be fair to Hynes, I jumped the gun in saying that his answer on Blandisi and Quenneville not making the team was very vague. I read the entire article since then, and now I understand more.

I wouldn't mind keeping them on the 4th line, if we had more of a skilled 4th line and not the traditional gritty/grinder/prototypical 4th line that I've been wanting to ditch for about 25 years now. The 4th line that we've been using looks pretty good, if Wood can actually improve and not be a liability and Boyle replaces Coleman. I'm not quite sure what Gibbons is like.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't mind using more of a banger 4th line early in the season, and switching to more of a skill line for a stretch run and playoffs after guys settle in.

I also think JQ and Blender will benefit more from top line all situation minutes in Bingo over 7 minutes on the 4th line

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How are people down on McLeod? The guy is 19 and put up an amazing post draft year. Exceeded any and all expectations. A disappointing training camp - that happens once and a while.

A refresher on McLeod's statistics:

15-16: 64gp, 24g, 46a, 70p (1.09ppg)
16-17: 77gp, 38g, 62a, 100p (1.30ppg)

Not sure it's so much being down on McLeod, just second-guessing whether we should have taken Chychrun/McAvoy instead. I suppose that's a valid question, but I'm not much for second-guessing myself. I just keep thinking how deep we could end up being at Center in a few years - something that is very valuable in the league today.

Reactions: Aethon

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Guys...almost 24 hours!

0f22305a9eea2a2aaad460f3e565abb6.gif

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Not sure it's so much being down on McLeod, just second-guessing whether we should have taken Chychrun/McAvoy instead. I suppose that's a valid question, but I'm not much for second-guessing myself. I just keep thinking how deep we could end up being at Center in a few years - something that is very valuable in the league today.

I'm with you. No real point in using hindsight. McLeod was an acceptable pick in the moment and he had a great post draft year. Sure it would be nice to have McAvoy right now, but McLeod will be probably be a good NHL player sooner rather than later.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
How are people down on McLeod? The guy is 19 and put up an amazing post draft year. Exceeded any and all expectations. A disappointing training camp - that happens once and a while.

A refresher on McLeod's statistics:

15-16: 64gp, 24g, 46a, 70p (1.09ppg)
16-17: 77gp, 38g, 62a, 100p (1.30ppg)
I'm not down on him, but he has a LOT of work still to do. He has crazy tunnel vision and a really horrific shot. He won't succeed at the next level until he works on those aspects of his game.

Which he will, he's 19. He's a very safe bet to be an NHL player. But I think a lot of people are concerned he'll end up being no more than a 3rd line checking line guy.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

For some reason, it seems like the staff has been using Butcher on one PP unit and Mueller on the other.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils seemingly had all their news planned out for these last few days to try to distract us from the fact there was a 10 day break between the last preseason game and tomorrow.

Thursday: Chico return/Riveters
Friday: Finally unveiling the worst kept secret in the scoreboard

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Friday: Finally unveiling the worst kept secret in the scoreboard

I wonder what percentage of fans who arent on HFBoards or the other Devils forum knew about the scoreboard before putting it on blast today?

I wouldnt be totally shocked if it's a surprise to 50% of fans. Dunno.

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Best thing about TG was that i didn't have to see his face every time I went to Fire and Ice. Does he really need to record a video of himself for every new story?

Seems like it's something the Record (and other media outlets) are pushing.

It's quite ridiculous sometimes, it's really annoying that it plays automatically too.

Reactions: Hypernova
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad