Devils 2017-18 team discussion (player news and notes) - Offseason part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Henrique has actually scored goals at the same rate as Hall for the last 3 years.

Henrique
237 games 66 goals. .28 GPG
Hall
207 games 60 goals. .29 GPG.
Palmieri
219 games 70 goals. .32 GPG

For any short comings Henrique has (precieved or real) he is one of our best goal scorers.

For a team that hasn't scored 200 goals in 5 years I think it would be a mistake to move Henrique.

2017 180 goals. 28th in the league
2016 182 goals 30th
2015 176 goals 28th
2014 197 goals 27th
2013 110 goals 48 games 28th

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Henrique has way too many deficiencies in his game to be a your first or 2nd line center. He's hard to play with, drags down guys possession wise, and is incredibly streaky. He honestly isn't even that skilled of a player which is why he struggles with a skilled, speedster in Hall. He's got a good shot and a good nose for getting scrappy goals, which is the only reason he's garnered the reputation he has. At best he's a passenger LW on a very skilled 2nd line. He's not good defensively either. Guys that can play the PK like Rico are a dime a dozen. I really would move Henrique easily, but I don't think NHL GMs are in love with him as much as fans think they are because of his name-value.

He's a guy that I like having on the team right now, though the fact that he's one of our best offensive players is more of an indictment on the team than a ringing endorsement of him.

He's a guy I like to have now, but he's also a guy that I think a lot of people would cringe at having into his 30's and at a significant raise from his current contract. And the one year that he shoots at 8% instead of 14% or 15+% like he usually does, he's gonna wind up getting roasted on here and people are really gonna accuse him of taking the entire year off. If Henrique shot at 8%-9% last year, he would have only scored 11-13 goals. Even shooting 10% would have put him around only 14 goals. He's made a 6 year career out of shooting very well and he's somehow sustaining it, but one year where he shoots closer to league norms can really make him look bad.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Henrique has actually scored goals at the same rate as Hall for the last 3 years.

Henrique
237 games 66 goals. .28 GPG
Hall
207 games 60 goals. .29 GPG.
Palmieri
219 games 70 goals. .32 GPG

For any short comings Henrique has (precieved or real) he is one of our best goal scorers.

For a team that hasn't scored 200 goals in 5 years I think it would be a mistake to move Henrique.

2017 180 goals. 28th in the league
2016 182 goals 30th
2015 176 goals 28th
2014 197 goals 27th
2013 110 goals 48 games 28th

My argument for moving Henrique has more to do with the fact that he's a UFA in 2 more years and I don't think we would want him at the contract he's likely gonna get.

Henrique is better than David Clarkson and Clarkson got $5+ million per for 7 years back in 2013. And even got offered $6 million by a couple of teams, even if one of those guys (MacTavish) might be a brain damaged buffoon. What do you think a player that's been much better at offense is gonna get in 2018 or 2019? Probably more than Clarkson, adding in that he's better than Clarkson and that the cap will have gone up significantly/inflation over those 5 or 6 years.

With as much as people complain about paying Zajac $5.75 million per year, I don't think anyone here wants to pay Henrique that much or even close to that much. Especially since I think it's more than likely that his scoring will drop off more than Zajac's did into his late 20's and 30's. And if Henrique's shooting percentage comes down to league norms.

He's a player that I don't think we should just give away and I'd like to have him here this year, but we really need to make a decision on him by next offseason, if we wanna keep him for a stupid deal or not. I don't think I'd wanna pay Henrique more than $5 million a year into his 30's.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
He's definitely going back to college, he doesn't have an ELC.

Once he has an ELC he can't go back to college, if he was going pro he would have signed already.

This is true except he can very simply sign an ELC on the last day of training camp if everyone (including him) agrees he's pro ready. He doesn't need to have one now.

I don't expect him to make the team out of camp. Probably will sign his ELC after his college season is up and get some NHL games in at the end of the season to burn a year.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Oh come on. Henrique doesn't dog it at all, he just isn't a great skater and frankly isnt that good. I've never seen him mail it in

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I find it counterproductive for the Devils to trade one of their top Defenseman one year for more offense, and then the next year trade one of the Devils best offensive players for more Defense. I hate to bust everyones bubbles but offense is still the Devils biggest problem. We lost one player on defense and no major shakeups. On offense the Devils let a bunch if players leave, bought out a few players, made a major trade. The reason is the offense stunk and if it was better thats more time in the other teams zone, more goals, and less pressure. Last year was the first time in a while were it seemed Devils team Defense took a hit. (Also on the forwards) I have seen were all of Defenseman are in the right place and the forwards let "thier" guy walk into the zone and shoot from the top of the circle. Trust the process. We may do better than expected if not this draft seems to be strong on D.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I find it counterproductive for the Devils to trade one of their top Defenseman one year for more offense, and then the next year trade one of the Devils best offensive players for more Defense. I hate to bust everyones bubbles but offense is still the Devils biggest problem. We lost one player on defense and no major shakeups. On offense the Devils let a bunch if players leave, bought out a few players, made a major trade. The reason is the offense stunk and if it was better thats more time in the other teams zone, more goals, and less pressure. Last year was the first time in a while were it seemed Devils team Defense took a hit. (Also on the forwards) I have seen were all of Defenseman are in the right place and the forwards let "thier" guy walk into the zone and shoot from the top of the circle. Trust the process. We may do better than expected if not this draft seems to be strong on D.

Well said. I agree. We need to keep goalscorers like Henrique.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

I can see your point in keeping Henrique, because we'd be losing a goal scorer but what I don't understand (and it's been a issue for me with several posters) is that generating offense doesn't only come from forwards.

THE main reason why we can't generate enough offense is mostly because our transition game is non existent. You can have all the forwards you want up front but if we can't feed them the puck, they're just going in circles in the neutral zone. Having a good blueline that can push the play up the ice is the key to any team who are offensively savvy. If we take a second to analyze our blueline, it's pretty clear as to why we suck offensively.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I can see your point in keeping Henrique, because we'd be losing a goal scorer but what I don't understand (and it's been a issue for me with several posters) is that generating offense doesn't only come from forwards.

THE main reason why we can't generate enough offense is mostly because our transition game is non existent. You can have all the forwards you want up front but if we can't feed them the puck, they're just going in circles in the neutral zone. Having a good blueline that can push the play up the ice is the key to any team who are offensively savvy. If we take a second to analyze our blueline, it's pretty clear as to why we suck offensively.

And everyone thinks Tyson Berries is going to fix that?! :help:

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
And everyone thinks Tyson Berries is going to fix that?! :help:

First off, we aren't getting Tyson Barrie from Colorado when they're D is as weak as ours. Secondly, if we can land someone in the mold of Barrie for Henrique, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. We have a solid group of forwards right now and our defense is hot garbage. Our 2nd best LHD is John Moore and we'll see Lovejoy anchoring our 2nd pair on the right side... if that doesn't make you cringe, I don't know what will.

The Joker

Feb 25, 2011
Drafting Rasmus Dahlin would do a lot for this team. Keep Henrique and Zacha, and see how this season unfolds. If we challenge for the playoffs, fine. If we can draft at the top again, fine aswell. This is a very deep draft and can help us a lot for the future years. We have to think long term here.

Imagine drafting Dahlin and signing Carlson next off-season. Defense is set for many years.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
First off, we aren't getting Tyson Barrie from Colorado when they're D is as weak as ours. Secondly, if we can land someone in the mold of Barrie for Henrique, I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. We have a solid group of forwards right now and our defense is hot garbage. Our 2nd best LHD is John Moore and we'll see Lovejoy anchoring our 2nd pair on the right side... if that doesn't make you cringe, I don't know what will.

That theory is nice but the only way it works, is by getting someone from a cap team. If not then we will be over paying. The Devils gave up the same picks for Müller (less proven) as the did for Johannson (top 6, proven, cap issues). That should prove both points. The Devils should of had some leverage in the Müller trade with him likely to be taken in the draft. Also, look at the amount of assets Vegas got so teams could proctect their young defenseman. The market is not in our favor. The Devils have a couple interesting prospects and our top 6 is locked in. Are they considered elite no, I think we are better then most ppl think. Schneider needs to be better.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Oh come on. Henrique doesn't dog it at all, he just isn't a great skater and frankly isnt that good. I've never seen him mail it in

you did not watch enough games last year, then. Which was the game last year that he dogged his line change in OT which led to the winning goal? was it Edmonton?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

oh come on now. You're seriously not paying attention if you really think that.

the defense is still not good.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
oh come on now. You're seriously not paying attention if you really think that.

the defense is still not good.

I don't see much having materially changed. The defense still stinks and we are still likely going as far as the development of the last three #1 picks will take us.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
One more bad year folks. Just need to hope Hall stays happy-ish and the kids show progress and the season will be a win. They need to pick in the top 6ish next year to guarantee an incredible PMD prospect.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
you did not watch enough games last year, then. Which was the game last year that he dogged his line change in OT which led to the winning goal? was it Edmonton?

The only person who brought more of an effort on both sides of the puck was zajac. That said, I think henrique is better than Travis offensively, and we'd be pretty daft to move him.

I think people forget that he's playing center with different responsibilities than hall or palmieri or Cammy. I certainly can't see anyone stepping into his role cleanly. Mojo, zacha, and nico probably all stand to get eaten up by the leagues better centers.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Drafting Rasmus Dahlin would do a lot for this team. Keep Henrique and Zacha, and see how this season unfolds. If we challenge for the playoffs, fine. If we can draft at the top again, fine aswell. This is a very deep draft and can help us a lot for the future years. We have to think long term here.

Imagine drafting Dahlin and signing Carlson next off-season. Defense is set for many years.

The depth of the draft is why part of me wants us to stock up on 2nd and 3rd rounders...

But the last sentence... how long have you been a Devils fan? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad